intro - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 8:18 pm Thread Starter

intro

Hi folks,

I just purchased a 2003 K1200LT (black) and I am headed about out next Tuesday to pick it up.

I have been riding 200+ days a year on Long Island, NY since 2001 as a daily commuter on the motorcycle. Only snow and extreme cold have kept me from riding. I bought a motorcycle as basic transportation.

As a commuter, I have never ridden more than about 60 miles in one shot, so the trip from NH back should be very interesting. Longest trip I ever took as the first ride on my new bike.

I had a Honda ST1100 for a few years as my first bike, and a Vstrom for the last five years.

I am very excited, a little nervous. The nervous will go away after I spend whatever time I need doing figure 8s in the parking lot. I'm pretty big and strong so I don't anticipate any low speed difficulties (famous last words).

I think the K1200TL will be a fantastic daily commuter. After going to the VStrom I really missed the technology of the ST1100 with Traction control and ABS. The new bike gives me all of that that I want. I also need a pretty high weight capacity (I'm 285 myself and I will have a 180+ passenger) so when researching it came down to BMW and Harley Ultra Classic Electra Glide. Harley is only available with ABS new, so that is a lot of money. 6 year old BMW with 28,000 is barely broken in for less than 1/2 the price I am a happy guy.

I'll post more back after the trip.

Oh wait, before I go I have to say that this community was a big factor in going with BMW. I was ignorant and uninformed and overly concerned about final drive failure and service issues. What I learned here made me comfortable that I had now gotten real information not skewed hype. Thanks.

Bob

Bob Pond
2009 K1200LT
potius sero quam nunquam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 8:25 pm

Re: intro

Great choice! You will love the LT! Just be careful in those early parking lot rides as the big girls do like to lay down. Be sure you have watched the video on how to pick 'er up and then go have fun! A summer ride in NH. Nice way to spend a part of the summer.

Have a great time with your new light truck!

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 8:26 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Howdy Bob.
Welcome to the world of the LT. You are going to love the Big Girl. Once you get over 5 mph it feels like 500 lbs not the 850 she really is. Enjoy the ride and come on back now ya hear.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 9:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Bob,
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum. The big girl loves to dance and is light on her feet...as long as you let her lead!

Enjoy.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #5 of 9 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 10:00 pm

I read here once about how they teach cops to do slow speed and I've picked up on that for my slow speed maneuvers and have found her to be easy to handle. The trick is more throttle and slip the clutch while you are maneuvering at slow speeds. No problem now doing donuts and figure 8's from a stop. Other than that she loves to open up above 4 grand and acts like a sports bike, but she'll loaf along all day under 4 grand on the superslab too. I'm sure you'll love your new bike.
post #6 of 9 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 9:36 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome and advise.

Hopefully I will not need to use the pick up method, but I have practiced it on the grass with the 700lb ST1100 and 500lb VStrom. Even though I could pick up both of them just straight up, you can never count on footing. Plus you never know if you'll come across someone who needs help.

Thanks for the clutch advice, that reminded me I wanted to do some "friction zone" work to get familiar with the dry clutch before moving.

Counting down the days...

Bob Pond
2009 K1200LT
potius sero quam nunquam
post #7 of 9 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 11:18 am

Square the handlebars before coming to a stop while clamping down on the front brake lever; I tend to drag the rear brake more than applying the front brake before stopping. Preload the shifter before shifting and shift at 3500 or more for a smoother shift.

Don't forget - they can't see you.

Ride safe,
Curt

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #8 of 9 Old Aug 5th, 2009, 11:02 am Thread Starter

Well, got her home yesterday.

In retrospect 7 hours of travel time BEFORE getting on a new bike and then taking a trip that at 250 miles was 200 miles longer than I had ever ridden in 95+ heat was perhaps not the best plan.

It took me about one loop in the parking lot to decide that I felt very comfortable. I found the K1200LT to be easier to handle at slow speeds than my VStrom. My gut feeling is that the lower center of gravity and wider rear tire makes it a lot less tippy. It feels very planted and reacts much more slowly to imbalance, making it easier to correct.

BC kept saying 95+ even while moving. It dropped a little with shade and the occasional cloud or two.

Cruise control is amazing. One less thing to pay attention to so more attention to the cars, road surface, etc.

Electric windshield is the best. I could lower it to get some air down into my Aerostich suit and then put it back up when I got tired to quiet things down. Lots of air moving in from the sides, so I had decent ventilation.

Stop and go traffic was a lot easier with the easy pull on the clutch.

I need to practice my clutch technique, I was revving a bit higher in the friction zone than would be best, but I got better as the day went on. Getting off of the Port Jeff ferry was a piece of cake. Up, over and down ramps at walking speed feet on the pegs no problem.

+1 to MAXBMW in North Hampton NH for making the purchase easy and being very pleasant and efficient. Nice folks. Big + for giving me a full tank of gas. I got to meet the previous owner who is getting a new RT. He said arthritic knee made the LT too heavy for him now.

Thanks again for the welcome and advice. I'm a very happy new owner.

Bob

Bob Pond
2009 K1200LT
potius sero quam nunquam
post #9 of 9 Old Aug 5th, 2009, 11:28 pm

Hi, Bob:

Glad you liked the bike.

I live on the other side of the City, but may be able to help occasionally if you need a hand. Do not hesitate to PM. For transfers, I do have a nice single-bike trailer that is sturdy enough for an LT - in case you ever need that.

Regarding BMW dealers: Max gets the highest marks, indeed. Whenever I head northbound, I try to stop by their Troy, NY, shop and buy a trinket to support.

Max was planning to open a shop in Paramus, NJ on Route 17, but I believe that current financial climate put that on hold. They do sponsor a big event in the Catskills (Hunter Mtn) during foliage time.

Another good place remaining is Cross Country BMW, in Metuchen, about 45 min from NYC (w/o traffic). I used them and have been satisfied. Manhattan BMW did not impress me.

Enjoy!

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in