On the verge of getting a new LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 3:43 pm Thread Starter

On the verge of getting a new LT

I am going to decide by tomorrow on getting a new bike. I test rode today the K1300GT, R1200RT, and at the last moment the K1200LT. I am replacing my HD Ultra Classic. I first rode the GT and it wasn't for me. I then rode the RT and I did like that bike. On a whim I tried I rode the LT and I liked how it rode and the comfort, but man is that thing big. I wish it did have more power though.

Can anyone give me their thoughts on their LT's with regards to experiences (good and bad)? Also how does this bike handle on winding roads?

Are their any aftermarket "musts" for this bike as well?

Thank you in advance.
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 3:48 pm

Re: On the verge of getting a new LT

I just bought a new 09 LT and I love that machine LOL I'm having a blast fully outfitting it.

You're right not enough power and heavy heavy heavy but once you get used to it there is no other Bike like it.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

Last edited by Kra961; Jul 31st, 2009 at 4:29 pm. Reason: typo
post #3 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 4:05 pm

Ken..you came to the right place for facts and fancy...

I'm a recovering HD rider. Never, ever thought about BMW except as 3 capital letters...

Now I am a 4 year convert... loved the bike since first riding. (Oh, I rode HD for several decades and was very active in local HOG, etc.)

When I can't have my LT I'm hanging up my spurs.

Must have?
intercom nice... plays music into helmet..
PIAA lights... and/or MOTOLIGHTS if you want to increase conspicuity or ride at night
New seat....(recovered actually.. stock is awful)
xtended warranty .....

nice to have../ should have
ATGATT
ATGATT - for passenger (pilion)
GPS (saves maps)
electric underwear...
thermostat for electric underwear
GOOD tire gauge
Tire air pump and flat fixin stuff

Last edited by cfell; Jul 31st, 2009 at 4:10 pm.

post #4 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 4:24 pm

My LT is the only bike I've had in a long time that my wife is comfortable on. The only thing I've done to mine is add a GPS. I do keep the bike on a Battery Tender as some have had battery draining issues when it has sat for a while. I plan on buying Nolan helmets with bluetooth headsets so I can get the helpful advice from the backseat.

Scott
2009 LT
post #5 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 4:41 pm

I rode v-twins for many years (not harleys) then went to a 1200 goldwing, then to my LT. I absolutly love the LT. A must for me was a new seat. I also added GPS and this year a radar detector.

As far as the power, get those revs up!!!

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

post #6 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 5:07 pm

As far as the power, get those revs up!

+1 on the revs. The LT really runs well at 4000+rpm; it will trounce your HD - it just doesn,t have the low rpm grunt of the Ultra. The LT will also run stronger after a good break-in period(about 3-4K miles).

You will find a plethora of "add-ons" for the LT. Probably the two most significant would be a good aftermarket seat and HID lighting.
post #7 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 5:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken6217
I am going to decide by tomorrow on getting a new bike. I test rode today the K1300GT, R1200RT, and at the last moment the K1200LT. I am replacing my HD Ultra Classic. I first rode the GT and it wasn't for me. I then rode the RT and I did like that bike. On a whim I tried I rode the LT and I liked how it rode and the comfort, but man is that thing big. I wish it did have more power though.

Can anyone give me their thoughts on their LT's with regards to experiences (good and bad)? Also how does this bike handle on winding roads?

Thank you in advance.
Ken
It will and does run the twisties as if much smaller a bike, The stability in and out of corners having virtually NO dive when finding yourself mashing on the brakes only adds to the enjoyment of flogging the big girl like a sport bike.

Yea, maybe a touring bike by design, but make no mistake about it, they are right at home doing the curves too

* The real fun does not start until you realize how happy the LT gets between 4K & Red line ..... What a blast !!

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

Last edited by motorhead; Jul 31st, 2009 at 5:18 pm.
post #8 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 6:18 pm

The LT is great. Yes, I should add that if you are buying new, you also get a mature ABS & power break, which really helps with a Liter + bike, and the BMW one does work.

You may find the trans sometimes difficult, or at least different to shift from your H-D. Its a dry clutch. Preloading the gear helps going both up and down. You can make effortless shifts that way, and you only need to ease off on the throttle and blip the clutch that way. Its a matter of keeping the gears spinning. Pull the clutch out all the way and the gears will stop. Preload the gear change a little and shifting is smooth.

You will be higher up on the LT than on the H-D. Its great in traffic with the extra visibility, which works both ways. As to visibility, the LTs now have that nice brake light high on the trunk.

Big bikes can fall - I cannot think of a single liter bike I would ever want to be on and have the wheel turned when I hit the brake at low speed. But at least on the LT, the black wing hides a steel bar and the side cases are hardened to hold the back up. On flat and some other surfaces, you and a rider's legs will be protected if it happens.

Lastly, is a great bike for riding two up. The stock seat does a good job of putting the passenger high enough to see over your shoulder. I like the stock seat just fine, but some have other opinions.

Reverse works well, The electro-hydraulic center stand lift is great. The side-stand lean may scare you at first, but it works. BTW, with all bikes and especially with large bikes, as you probably already know from the Ultra, make sure the trans is in first gear when you park on the sidestand. Many of us shut the bike off by deploying the side-stand while in gear. At 845 lbs, the LT (like the Wing and the Harley Cruisers) are just too inviting a target for gravity if you leave it in neutral. I have parked my LT in some really pitched lots in South Dakota, Wyoming, and recently in TN. I have never had a problem as long at it was in gear.

The LT is almost perfectly balanced. I love changing lanes at 70 by just shifting my legs and letting all the german engineering do the work.

Yes, you do give up a little low end torque. But you can also take the LT through twisties, curves or slabs for 500 to 600 miles without excessive fatigue, and if you could do that on H-D, you are a better man than me.

Enjoy.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #9 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 6:30 pm Thread Starter

Wow. Thanks for the comments. You guys aren't trying to push me over to the LT side are you?

I am going to give it another ride tomorrow morning just to make sure and then pull the trigger.

I was very surprised when I took it on the highway and was looking for 6th gear only to find out there wasn't once. I was doing in the 70's and the rpm's were in the mid 4000's or so and I was wondering if this is right. I am used to touring bike lower in the RPM range. I assume this is right?

Has anyone hooked up satellite radio to their LT? I looked at Cyclegadgets.com and they have a a package using a FM modulator. Do these sound OK?

Can you tell me more about after market seats. Has anyone put on additional highway pegs to stretch out your legs?

Thanks again.
Ken
post #10 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 6:35 pm

Three years into the LT and still loving it. I added turn signal mirrors, Motolights, running lights to replace reflectors on the side cases, modulating brake lights over the rear case and comm. system for myself and my wife, then bought after-market seats and a gps.
While riding, I pretty much use 3000 rpm as my que to down shift. On my last long trip through lots of twistys, mountains, the bike handled perfectly for me, and averaged 50. 3 mpg. A great motorcycle.

Doug Allison
2006 LT
BMW MOA #129428
IBA
post #11 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 6:39 pm

Thumbs up Re: On the verge of getting a new LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaDude
As far as the power, get those revs up!

+1 on the revs. The LT really runs well at 4000+rpm; it will trounce your HD - it just doesn,t have the low rpm grunt of the Ultra. The LT will also run stronger after a good break-in period(about 3-4K miles).

You will find a plethora of "add-ons" for the LT. Probably the two most significant would be a good aftermarket seat and HID lighting.
Ditto on the above, especially the RPM comments, the HD not important if a newer bike.
You should have a long enough inseam.
What year you looking at?
Good luck!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #12 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 6:42 pm

Quote:

I wish it did have more power though.

Thank you in advance.
Ken
Coming from a twin, I'll bet you didn't get the LT above 4000 RPM. There is life above 5000 RPM and a whole different bike. She'll pull away from traffic nicely with a down shift and a twist of the throttle. The faster it goes the more it will accelerate.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #13 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 6:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
Ditto on the above, especially the RPM comments, the HD not important if a newer bike.
You should have a long enough inseam.
What year you looking at?
Good luck!
I am looking at a new '09. My inseam is 32. The bike felt comfortable but want to take it out again in the morning. The salesperson also said as well about getting the revs up.
Ken
post #14 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 7:35 pm
Ted

Quote:
I first rode the GT and it wasn't for me. I then rode the RT and I did like that bike. On a whim I tried I rode the LT and I liked how it rode and the comfort, but man is that thing big. I wish it did have more power though.
You didn't mention your significant other. How much you'll be riding two-up, and for what distances should weigh in your decision.

The reason I mention this is I've been on my LT for 6 years now and I still love the bike. However, it can be a handful at slow speeds. Nothing that you won't get used to, but it is a different beast. There is nothing better for two-up.

What I found interesting about your post is that you started with the GT, and ended with the LT wishing for more power. Maybe you should ride the GT again!

Lots of folks here have switched to the GT and RT, mainly because of the weight and power improvements. As much as I love my LT, these thoughts have crossed my mind also! However, I'm still not quite ready to let the big lady go. But, I did recently add a 2007 F800S, and this bike at literally half the weight of the LT is a constant reminder of how big the LT is.

Without knowing your personal situation it's hard to say more, but in short - nothing will top the LT for comfort (1 or 2 up), but the other two will give you almost the same comfort with a lot less weight.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #15 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 7:40 pm

Ken,
I have an 01 LT, an '07 Deuce and an '06 Yamaha FZ1. The only time I've ever felt like the LT lacked for power was up over 100 mph, and at extreme altitude. It sort of dies out in triple digits (and my riding buddies on FJR's and Concours kick my butt), and you'll need to drop a gear up HIGH in the mountains. Other than that, you're gonna love it. I'm getting ready to upgrade the suspension to either Ohlins or Wilburs. At 65K mine are just worn out. I also had to get an aftermarket seat. Went with Russell Daylong. Just did 2,200 miles in 4 days and was good to keep going. Just can not say enough about how well she performs.
Like was already said, if I were buying new, I would not hesitate to get an extended warranty.
Frank
post #16 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 8:22 pm

For Satellite radio ... The "In Line" FM modulator is the way to go

When you take your second ride, Think SPIRITED and rev it up some .... smiles for miles !!

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #17 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 8:30 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaDude
The LT will also run stronger after a good break-in period (about 8-10K miles).
Fixed it for ya

I have owned 3 LTs and all of them kept getting smoother, better mileage and stronger until past the first valve check at 12K. As a matter of fact that has been true of our boxers and the new slant fours as well. The real key to breaking a BMW in is to "ride it like you stole it". Use a lot of throttle early to get the combustion pressure up and help seat the rings. The cylinders on a BMW are coated with Nikasil and very hard. Don't be afraid of high RPMs - the LT doesn't even begin to sing until you get past 6K

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #18 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 9:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Ken,
I came out of a 2001 Ultra into my 2007 LT. In addition to everything that has been said in this post, my decision was ultimately based on my riding style. While I really enjoyed my Ultra and still think there is no sound like that of the V-Twin, I really tired of dragging chrome and wallowing around the twisties on the Ultra. The LT is just a superb riding machine, especially when you keep it above 5000 rpm. It really becomes a different animal then and will amaze you at the power and handling. My SO rides with me frequently and we have done some 3000 mile tours. In her mind, there is no comparison and she absolutely prefers the LT. So, make your decision on your preferred riding style and you won't be disappointed.

You've already made the most important discovery when owning an LT...the experts on this site. Their knowledge and willingness to share it will save you thousands of $$ in maintenance costs. Good luck with your decision!

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #19 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 11:15 pm Thread Starter

Thanks again for all of the comments. With regards to some of the comments asked, it is mainly foe me but would like to take my wife on some trips. She never felt comfortable on the Ultra. I was thinking of bringing her tomorrow for a test ride but am a little apprehensive having her on the bike as I am not used to it yet.

The reason that I tried the GS, RT, and then the LT was because I wanted to try them all and my dealer really believes in giving you the keys and saying see ya later. I tried the GT and I did not like the riding position or the wind protection. I tried the RT and I did like that. When I got back to the dealer the service manager said try the LT. He said he had used the demo the last few days and said it was amazing. I said it was trailer truck but as long as I was here, why not. I gave it a ride and I was really amazed by it. The lack of power doesn't bother me as I am not buying it for speed. I have a Ducati that is 165 HP and weigh's 368 lbs. I can get my speed fix from that. If I didn't have the Duc, I would probably consider the RT instead of the LT, but luckily I am able to have two bikes.

When I take out the LT in the morning, I will take it out for a nice ride making sure that I get on it as well.
Ken
post #20 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 11:24 pm

Remember... keep r's over 2k at all times while moving.. you'll be at the start of the power curve.. hang on.. something that big will seem slow... it isn't. The wind protection, etc. change your perception .... be careful.

Remember, too, this is an AUTOBAHN machine.. it will do whatever you want... all day.

Then when you want some "twisty fun" it will smoothly go through places that makes the Hogs squeel....
post #21 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 11:27 pm

Quote:
Can you tell me more about after market seats. Has anyone put on additional highway pegs to stretch out your legs?
I have a Corbin on my LT, front and rear. Some don't like the Corbin. I haven't been on another custom seat, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I sat on a factory seat and my Corbin is much better than that. Corbins are curved to fit the seat of your pants. They're almost hard as a board, but not being shaped like a hump, they don't need lots of padding that causes hot spots and numbness.

As for highway pegs, there are several vendors that sell their wares here. Mick-O-Pegs is one. Another has peg lowering blocks. Danged if I can remember others. Someone will chime in shortly.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #22 of 39 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 12:45 am

Thumbs up getting a new LT

Quote:
Thanks again for all of the comments. With regards to some of the comments asked, it is mainly foe me but would like to take my wife on some trips. She never felt comfortable on the Ultra. I was thinking of bringing her tomorrow for a test ride but am a little apprehensive having her on the bike as I am not used to it yet.

The reason that I tried the GS, RT, and then the LT was because I wanted to try them all and my dealer really believes in giving you the keys and saying see ya later. I tried the GT and I did not like the riding position or the wind protection. I tried the RT and I did like that. When I got back to the dealer the service manager said try the LT. He said he had used the demo the last few days and said it was amazing. I said it was trailer truck but as long as I was here, why not. I gave it a ride and I was really amazed by it. The lack of power doesn't bother me as I am not buying it for speed. I have a Ducati that is 165 HP and weigh's 368 lbs. I can get my speed fix from that. If I didn't have the Duc, I would probably consider the RT instead of the LT, but luckily I am able to have two bikes.

When I take out the LT in the morning, I will take it out for a nice ride making sure that I get on it as well.
Ken
Well be sure to let us know what you get & we'll visit ya in Jersey!

2001 Honda C-250 Helix

Smokin'

post #23 of 39 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 7:42 am

On your second ride, GET THE REVS UP! The single biggest mistake V-twin riders make when riding the LT is shifting it like a V-twin. It HATES that. The bike does not even begin to wake up until 4,000 RPM, and as already said will absolutely trounce your HD between 4,500 and 7,500. Many of us use 3,500 as the downshift point. I rarely ever let my LT drop below 3,000.

It is a totally different bike, so do not expect ANYTHING on it to be like your HD.

It will really leave an HD in the dust when you hit the twisties.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #24 of 39 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 8:08 am Thread Starter

Re: getting a new LT

Quote:
Well be sure to let us know what you get & we'll visit ya in Jersey!
Will do, and I'll take you up on that.
Ken
post #25 of 39 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 8:34 am

just had mine cents may and luv it still catchin hell from my harley buds but thats ok just tellem you'll be a waitin at the next gas stop and have a half a bottle of water drank and a snickerz 8 b4 they get there! couple of my buds rode mine and they said they no why i bought it now as a matter a fact 1 freind is lookin 4 himself 1go ahead & keep the hog been a waitin fer my 2- 2 mate what kind o scooter would u have then?
post #26 of 39 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 10:04 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I mean what 116 HP and 77 Torque at the crank

A HD 60 something HP and I forget what Torque.

I came off a 05 RoadGlide I had about 5000 in the motor and had 100/100 to the wheels.

I chased Tracus in WV in summer of 07 and while I had no trouble keeping up, I worked my ass off chasing that RT.

I made up my mind I wanted a large touring bike although I rarely carry a passenger, that I could leave STOCK and get all I wanted.

I road a Gold wing and an LT.

Although the LT intimidated me all to Hell, it won.

About 40 years ago my grandmothers neighbor took me for my first ride on an old Indian.

When we were getting on he gave instructions on how I should act, basically he said keep your ass center and back on that seat, use the foot pegs to achieve that, and no sudden movements. He must of seen a bit of apprehension (sheer terror) in my eyes and he says to me" are you a little scared" and I replied "yep", he says " that is a good thing, he said the day I throw my leg over my bike and I don't get a little feeling about what I am about to do, I will stop riding, that scariness turns into respect over the years and you need to respect the bike".

Never forgot those words and they are as sacred today as then.

The LT inspires me in that way. The Road Glide is a wonderful bike and if HD gets that V-Rod motor in there before I die, I will have one

It was a wonderful machine and the LT is a completely different machine. It is a quiet in-line four. It does not really turn on until 5 grand and above. It rides like a sport bike but plusher, corners like it is on rails, holds a bunch of stuff in its trunk/bags, has a look like no other, and needs very little to make it "right".

Thein lies the rub.

Two things it needs is seats and shocks.

My Corbin rig was over 1600.00. And heated and driver backrest. The passenger backrest from Corbin weighed more then all three stock pieces from BMW !

Shocks I went with all three pieces (steering dampener) from Hyper Pro. Little over 2300.00 for that Now I only had 11,000 on the stock and I paid a bit more so I could keep my rear adjuster on my stock shocks. That way at rebuild time I can throw on the old shocks and just send the Hypers out and not worry about it. Although I will count the days they are gone as the Hyper Pro outperform the OEM by leaps and bounds.

Next would be Windshield and auxiliary lighting

Moto Lights, or PIAA or some of the others a search will reveal. Not too bad but another hit.

The windshield will be another search that will tie you up a few hours.

My LT came with a Tall shield on it and when I put it up it was like the Cone Of Silence from Get Smart TV show. Man it went up and up and up and up. Had to go could not look over it, and that is a must for me. So I got a Cee-Baiely #2 -4 Blue tint. Well It was not low enough for me. I sent it back and it became a -6 on the Corbin I can see over it in low, and it gets me out of the rain and wind when I want. They were very nice and made some great deals to me and I also have a -6 clear sitting with that Tall in storage.

I can say you will spend some money but my advice, find an 07 used with as low as mileage as you can find, buy it, put the above mentioned items on it and save your self that overhead. Should be able to find an 07 for the 16-1800 range and it may have some of these items on it. Still got a year of warranty to ride the snot out of it and roll someone else's depreciation to your advantage.

Hope this helps.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #27 of 39 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 10:51 am

I currently have both the GT and the LT! And they are both great bikes! However, all 3 bikes that you are going to test drive are completely different!
From the standpoint of power, the GT has plenty of it with some to spare! My only complaint is comfort. Being 6 feet tall was a disadvantage, I couldn't stretch my legs on long trips and it was pretty uncomfortable. I couldn't find J-pegs for that particular model.
For me the LT was the obvious choice. It isn't as powerful as the GT, but it is very comfortable. Th riding position is great, radio and intercom system is nice and j-pegs can be easily installed on the bike. The downside with the LT is expensive maintenance. They have to take off a lot of tupperware to get to the motor! And you dont have a lot of tire options!
Now the RT is also avery good choice. Boxers last for ever and you can install j-pegs on the cylinder head. The riding position is very nice and the bike handles like a dream. The RT will also give the best gas mileage!
Boxers have great resale value and overall maintenance is cheaper, quicker and few!
Good Luck with your choice!
-------------------------------------------------------
03' k1200RS(past)
07' k1200GT(present)
04' K1200LT(present)-Hildegard
post #28 of 39 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 1:04 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
About 40 years ago my grandmothers neighbor took me for my first ride on an old Indian.

When we were getting on he gave instructions on how I should act, basically he said keep your ass center and back on that seat, use the foot pegs to achieve that, and no sudden movements. He must of seen a bit of apprehension (sheer terror) in my eyes and he says to me" are you a little scared" and I replied "yep", he says " that is a good thing, he said the day I throw my leg over my bike and I don't get a little feeling about what I am about to do, I will stop riding, that scariness turns into respect over the years and you need to respect the bike".

Never forgot those words and they are as sacred today as then.

Powerful words even after 40 years!

The rest of your post regarding the LT is spot on - thank you for taking the time to post .

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #29 of 39 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 6:03 pm Thread Starter

Done deal!!!

I got down to the dealer this morning, they just gave me the keys and said see you later. I took it up the highway for about 30 minutes keeping in mind about getting the revs up. Man you were right. For me the bike has enough power. Certainly more than the Ultra that I am coming off of.

After I got off the highway I took it down some winding roads and really leaned into the turns. I then took it into an empty parking lot and tried some figure 8's and maneuvered around assorted lines, spots, and whatever could use as a course to see how it handles. I cannot believe how well it does. If I didn't take a look at the size, I would never have thought this bike could handle so well.

I then went back on the highway and was paying attention to the wind protection and how quiet the bike was. I then put on the radio, brought the bike up to 100 mph for a bit to see how it rode that and went back to the store. I had a slice of pizza near by and took it out again for another 30 minutes just for the hell of it.

I am so happy with this purchase that I can't think of any negatives at all (except how can I find some days where I can pack up some of my things and disappear).

I will have to look at some add ons, but I already picked up the PIAA auxiliary lights and will order Sirius radio on Monday.

Thank you all for chiming in and helping me. This is a great community.
Ken

post #30 of 39 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 12:03 pm

Unhappy Re: On the verge of getting a new LT

Quote:
Done deal!!!

I got down to the dealer this morning, they just gave me the keys and said see you later. ........
I am so happy with this purchase that I can't think of any negatives at all (except how can I find some days where I can pack up some of my things and disappear).

I will have to look at some add ons, but I already picked up the PIAA auxiliary lights and will order Sirius radio on Monday.

Ken.
What did you BUY?????!!!!??? Details please!

2001 Honda C-250 Helix

Smokin'

post #31 of 39 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 12:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
What did you BUY?????!!!!??? Details please!
A new black '09 LT.
Ken
post #32 of 39 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 2:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Done deal!!!

I got down to the dealer this morning, they just gave me the keys and said see you later. I took it up the highway for about 30 minutes keeping in mind about getting the revs up. Man you were right. For me the bike has enough power. Certainly more than the Ultra that I am coming off of.

After I got off the highway I took it down some winding roads and really leaned into the turns. I then took it into an empty parking lot and tried some figure 8's and maneuvered around assorted lines, spots, and whatever could use as a course to see how it handles. I cannot believe how well it does. If I didn't take a look at the size, I would never have thought this bike could handle so well.

I then went back on the highway and was paying attention to the wind protection and how quiet the bike was. I then put on the radio, brought the bike up to 100 mph for a bit to see how it rode that and went back to the store. I had a slice of pizza near by and took it out again for another 30 minutes just for the hell of it.

Ken

Congratulations! You have been assimilated. :-)

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #33 of 39 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 8:03 pm

Quote:
A new black '09 LT.
Ken
the FASTEST, (aaah only?) in 2009!

2001 Honda C-250 Helix

Smokin'

post #34 of 39 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 8:24 pm

Welcome.
post #35 of 39 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 8:27 pm
SEG

Where did you buy?

Where did you buy the LT? You'll enjoy the LT.
I picked my '09 LT in Dec 08 and I've put 22K on it this year. I use it for work, short and long trips and it's been great. It's a bit of a beast 2-up in Manhattan, but no problem solo.
You'll get great recommendations on accessories to tailor the LT to your needs. I got mine to suit me and this included: Custom seat from Rich's in Seattle; PIAA HID Cross Country lights; Grip puppies, lowered floorboards for rider and passenger floorboards; arm rests for the passenger. With lowered floorboards, you have to be a bit mindful in the tight twisties, but the LT performed well 2-up along HWY 1 in northern CA. I also added the BMW intercom II system and BMW Motorrad III GPS. Next step is a radar detector from Adaptiv Technologies--it's just so easy to cruise along slightly above the posted speed limit, well maybe more than a little. Enjoy your new bike!
Scott
NYC

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
post #36 of 39 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 8:32 pm

Hmmmmm?....Lack of power??? I am draging a Hannigan side car along and don't seam to have lack of power, in fact on the highway, no trouble passing and at 70+ it begins to float on clouds, great response, easy handling and smooth as can be.
post #37 of 39 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 8:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
the FASTEST, (aaah only?) in 2009!
Fastest? Didn't catch your meaning?
Ken
post #38 of 39 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 8:43 pm Thread Starter

I had said it had enough power for me. I can get my speed fix from my Ducati. Actually I got on my Duc last night after spending some time on the LT and when I put it in second gear I almost went off the back of the bike.
post #39 of 39 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 1:12 pm

Black, the FASTEST COLOR, (aaah only?) in 2009!
Quote:
Fastest? Didn't catch your meaning?
Ken
Opps

2001 Honda C-250 Helix

Smokin'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in