Selling Out, Moving North - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 5:28 pm Thread Starter

Question Selling Out, Moving North

My wife and I are moving North from South Texas. We want to get mobile, so we want to buy an RV with toy hauler. Anyone have any experience with RV's that can house my LT? If so, what brand/etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 8:09 pm

My wife and I considered the full timing thing but decided we needed dirt too and can't swing both. In the process we looked into these kinds of things.

http://www.rvlifts.com/RVLifts_picturegalleries.asp

http://www.hydralift-usa.com/

http://www.sportslift.com/cycletoyliftmtrhm.html
post #3 of 14 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 8:47 pm

Hey, Keith - ping El Jeffe. He used to have the lowdown on an RV/Motorhome that had a garage at the rear and you just drive your Mini-Cooper, or similar sized cage, OR your LT right inside; close the door and hit the road. I'm not sure, butt I think they're manufactured in Tejas. HTH.

post #4 of 14 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 9:04 pm
Bouncer

That was the Travel Supreme, but I doubt Keith is looking at spending upwards of $275,000 for a toybox. LOL!!!

There are a bazillion makers of 5th wheel travel trailers with the rear liftgate/garage for much much less.

Keith - if you go to any RV show, you'll see a bunch of these (from real basic to all out luxury)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 10:15 pm

My father has been running around the country for the past several years with his motorhome towing his F150 truck with his Goldwing in the box of the truck. He has one of the motorcycle lifts that pulls it up into the box of the truck.

This setup affords him flexibility to take it all with him. It also allows him to just take the bike and truck if he likes while leaving his motorhome at my place during Summer months when he's doing a shorter trip.

Something you may want to consider. Sorry I don't have pictures or the name of the loader he has but I'm sure you can find them online.

Good luck with your search.

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660
post #6 of 14 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 8:32 am

You might want to send TandemCyclist a PM. Rick's Bio states that he lives in an RV and carries his Bergman and LT with him.

Some guys have the life!
post #7 of 14 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 9:40 am

I want a picture of this - they won't believe it overseas.....there again perhaps they will, reinforcing lots of preconceptions!

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #8 of 14 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 9:46 am

We travel pretty much by motorhome and will be a vendor at several rallies this year using the the motorhome and an enclosed trailer. This seems to work for us. There are lots of fifth wheel toy haulers out there. There pretty neat and you would have a truck to use on the days that you wouldn't want to ride the bike. Due to where we live (busy road) a fifth wheeler won't work for us as it would be imposable to turn around or back into our driveway. With the MH I can pull into our drive, unhook the trailer, and back the MH into its spot and then turn the trailer around with our garden tractor or van.
post #9 of 14 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 10:27 am

FWIW I pull a 5th wheel and also pull a wellcargo 6x10 behind it to haul the LT. There are 65 ft restrictions in many states and many south east do not permit double towing.

The www.rvlifts.com looks very promising to eliminate the trailer.

On thing you may want to consider. The cost of the class a motor coach can go from $75K to $600k. The cost of a real nice 5th wheel is $30k to $45k Plus a decent diesel pick up $45k the RV and the 5th wheel will depreciate faster than the truck alone.
With the latter set up you can at least use the truck for every day use. Yes you can pull a car with the RV and bring the bike with the set ups on the posted web pages but that will be more expensive over all.

How many miles would you use either? That makes a real difference here.

What is your financial picture look like? Are you loaded? or just doing ok? Not looking for a answer, but do the math the answer will reveal it self.

Hope this helps

Mike G
Northen Illinois Packer Fan
K1200lt 2002
LT Trunk Latch Maker
post #10 of 14 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 2:27 pm

We have an aluminum enclosed trailer our LT fits in just fine. Tie her down and go. Plenty of room for other stuff too. Go somewhere on business, weather not going to be good, drive the MH, weather gona be nice, take the LT also and mix a little pleasure with business.
Was in Michigan on business, saw a trailer place advertising aluminum trailers as being rust free. Well we don't salt our roads here but thought aluminum to be a particulary fine idea, price was right. Only regret, wish we'd gotten the next size larger. Can use the trailer for other things also like hauling bees.
post #11 of 14 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 7:04 pm

Ralph,

I sent an email to my father to see if he has any pictures of when it was all hooked up. If he has anything I will post it.

Randy

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660
post #12 of 14 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 7:28 pm Thread Starter

Talking Great Advise From Everyone

I appreciate all the advise and leads for more research. We're going to do the math and figure timing, but sometime this year is the launch.

Thanks everyone

Keith
post #13 of 14 Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:00 am

In 2000 I bought a Kit 'Patio/Hauler'. We were looking for something that had dual slides and all the whistles and bells. We wanted a unit that had the toy area seperate from the living area. We liked this one the best of the three that we could find in the 40 Ft range.This unit does not have a ramp door like the new stuff out there today. It uses a 10 ft ramp 34in wide. this makes it tricky to get the bike out. The back is 9 ft long and will hold 2 full dressers. Although we had a washer/drier combo installed and have room for only one bike. Right now I am living in it full time and have plenty of room. We have towed coast to coast and have had no problems. The Kit company changed hands and name about 4 years ago. It was called Extreme RV and based in Caldwell, Id. as of 2003.

2002 K1200LT, Pacific Blue
1991 Bushtec, painted Yamaha Venture Blue

100,000+ trouble free miles.

1- If you don't count the replacement of a leaking rear main seal that caused the clutch assembly to be replaced at 74,000 miles.

2- The Trunck Latch is now broken on both sides at 86,000 miles.

3- The Banjo bolt behind the headlight that is part of the braking system and goes to the right front caliper has sprung a leak. this is dumping brake fluid on the caliper and front tire.

4- The switch that activates the fans when the temp rises went out at 98,835 miles.

David Roberts
post #14 of 14 Old Jan 30th, 2006, 7:11 am

I also may add which every you choose, trailer or MH, its really the only way to travel. When you combine it with motorcycles its pretty much heaven. You will get spoiled. For us its pretty much the only way we want to travel. This past year we did a trip out west to N.D., S.D, MT, WY. (missed the CCR by hours but that's another story) and had a blast. 6000 miles on the MH and 1500 miles on the LT. We just had a blast. This trip was done when gas prices where starting go real high. That was a bummer but when we got home and figured out everything you would be hard press to find a cheaper form of traveling unless your doing the whole thing on the bike and sleeping in a tent. That wouldn't make the wife and our dog very happy.
One more thing there's a lot of good pre owned RV's out there that are just a few years old. You could save big $$$ if you go that route.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in