09 LT Driver Peg Relocation - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 6:07 pm Thread Starter

09 LT Driver Peg Relocation

So I ordered the DL1 - K1200LT peg Relocation Kit wow what a difference that made I like it! however LOL now I need to find a longer Shift and break peddles.

I have what could only be described as flippers for feet I didn't think that shifting the pegs .75 forward would make all that much difference its workable but not comfortable.

Does anyone have a place that sells or idea on a work around for extending the shifter and break peddles?

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 7:03 pm

Garage
Re: 09 LT Driver Peg Relocation

I purchased the same about two weeks ago...Right before I took the experienced riders coarse...not a good idea. Messed around finding gears and lifting my foot to stop. it felt as if it was my first time riding. I just did my 24K service and adjusted both pedals. The gear shift is right were I need/want it after the adjustment. Took a few tries, but its an easy three bolt/two screw removal. As for the brake, we're both up [email protected]#$ creek. I searched the site and came up with nothing except making your own version. Which entails either a donor or scavenging yours. I did adjust it down as well, its not quite a high now. It will take some getting used to but I can rest my foot on the pedal without engaging the brake. something that I never do as not to drag on the brake. I will have to be retrained after all these years... Just don't let the wife know that's possible.

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #3 of 18 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 9:15 pm Thread Starter

Glad to know I'm not the only one with these problems LOL.....

Thinking you are correct about making our own did a search as well and didn't find anything both appear to be aluminum so I'm going to try to find a salvage job and then use those to make the new setup.

I need to drop both by 2" and extend both if I have my way by 2" thinking at the same time of swinging both an extra 1" away from the body of the bike or making the pad's larger to cover more area my large feet have a hard time finding the smallish pads (sigh) though on that point it might posse a problem with extreme cornering.

I do like having my leg's lowered though and your are right its like driving a new bike it has a completely different feel to it. LOL... I'm having a blast customizing my goblin

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

post #4 of 18 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 11:53 am

DL1 - Is this the Suburban Machinery item?

mike p
2005 BMW K1200LT (got it in July 2007)
2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-12R (parked next to the LT)
1982 Suzuki GS-750EZ (paid $500
for it in 1985, sold it for $450 in 2000)
1978 Honda CB-500F (sold in 1980)
1976 Honda CB-400F (drowned to
death in the blizzard of 1978 in Boston)
post #5 of 18 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

Ya its how its listed on their site, quick installation and it makes a big difference on how your knee's feel.

DL1 relocation Kit

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #6 of 18 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 1:41 pm

Garage

You'll find that your (our) problem is exclusively with the brake. the gear shift can be both adjusted and lenghtened. My first attempt was to adjust the shift all the way out (you'll see when you get in there). Got on with my tennis shoes and all was good. With my boots on, that was a different story. Had to shift with the side of my boot. Went back in and adjusted it back in a bit and all was good. The connector is a simple threaded rod. If you need more, get a longer rod. although I doubt you'll need to...

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #7 of 18 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 2:00 pm Thread Starter

Well that will make it easier ! I'll let you know what I find as far as the Brake arm goes should be just a quick plate and Weld job

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #8 of 18 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 7:32 pm

Kevin,

This works for me.

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=47521

Bob
post #9 of 18 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 7:38 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylorr
Kevin,

This works for me.

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=47521

Bob
Sucks when the fix is right arround the corner... I'm less than 20 min from A$S. I'll go over next week and take a look. thanks for that!

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #10 of 18 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 7:39 pm
SEG

Go to the ILIUM website, they sell a brake lever that is lower and sticks out to the side more than stock-easy to find the brake pedal!. I have lowered floor boards and got the ILIUM brake lever/pedal and added an ILIUM oversized cover for the shift lever. Works great. Couldn't use the lowered floor boards without the ILIUM accessories. Check with ILIUM to see if their parts will work with lowered foot pegs, rather than the lowered floor boards.
Scott

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
post #11 of 18 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 8:26 pm

I guess I feel like an idiot now..... I have owned my '99 for almost 2 weeks now, and only been able to ride about 500 miles.

I went today to buy the power cord connector for my Gerbing gear to plug in to the power receptical. Looking at the new '09 there, I discovered that I too had the extenders to lower and move the pegs forward a bit. I think I will try them in the stock position, but I fear I may have already gotten used to them where they are.

Let me know how you make out with the lever issue. I may need to do the same thing in the future.
post #12 of 18 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 9:28 pm Thread Starter

Gawd you people are Awesome!

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #13 of 18 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 9:41 pm Thread Starter

That's all right I've had mine all of two months so far and had no idea about the adjustment.... Now thanks to the awesome people here the peg problem has been resolved.

Ok so on to the next issue where to place a 6" LCD / dvd screen with 5.1 surround any idea's or thought's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busajets
I guess I feel like an idiot now..... I have owned my '99 for almost 2 weeks now, and only been able to ride about 500 miles.

I went today to buy the power cord connector for my Gerbing gear to plug in to the power receptical. Looking at the new '09 there, I discovered that I too had the extenders to lower and move the pegs forward a bit. I think I will try them in the stock position, but I fear I may have already gotten used to them where they are.

Let me know how you make out with the lever issue. I may need to do the same thing in the future.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #14 of 18 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 9:14 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

In addition get the shift lever extender. It allows you to heel the pegs, and hang your foot out a bit and the shift lever is right there. It also allows balls of the feet on pegs and a very quick flick of the toe Very Nice item.

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=2045

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #15 of 18 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 9:19 am Thread Starter

LOL how embarrassing I saw that one but didn't put two and two together Thank you for pointing that out!

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #16 of 18 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 10:19 am

I lowered both pegs a while back and adjusted the shifter, but not the back brake. Sort of got used to using only the front brake and don't use the back brake at all. Since they are ABS, it seems to work OK. Am I setting my self up for a problem? It's been this way for more than 15,ooo miles...

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by dandiver; Jul 31st, 2009 at 10:20 am. Reason: poor spelling...
post #17 of 18 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 10:25 am Thread Starter

I was wondering the same thing this morning on the way to work right up until I went to use the brake peddle and completely missed the damn thing.....ok at least for me I think I'm going to get the extension. If it were just me on the bike all the time I could live with it but with growing plans on lot's of two up trips yaaaaa might not be a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I lowered both pegs a while back and adjusted the shifter, but not the back brake. Sort of got used to using only the front brake and don't use the back brake at all. Since they are ABS, it seems to work OK. Am I setting my self up for a problem? It's been this way for more than 15,ooo miles...

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #18 of 18 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 10:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
While the 02's do have ABS, it is NOT an integrated (or linked) system (separate circuits for front and rear). So unless you press on that rear brake pedal, you get no "squeeze" on the rear rotor. Should help rear brake pad life though!!...as well as tire life. Seriously though, I wouldn't exactly say you're setting yourself up for a problem (machanically speaking). However, not using the rear brake might be a bad habit to get into. We're creatures of habit...so when you need to make an emergency stop, you may not utilize all of your braking power...because you're used to not using the rears. Just a thought.

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in