Bent Footrest Plate? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 1:35 am Thread Starter

Bent Footrest Plate?

Hi all,

This is embarrasing.

Went to MotoGP in Laguna Seca over the Fourth of July holiday.

Drove up from L.A., with a buddy on a 600RR, about 350 miles. No problems on the LT whatsoever.

Pull into the parking area for the campers (as in TENT campers) and it was all uphill on 2" of dry pine needles. I found a gentle slope (as opposed to the 15 degree uphill I had to sleep on) and put my foot down as I stopped. Of course, loose pine needles on a slope spells d-i-s-a-s-t-e-r and my foot went right out and the bike fell over. Not the 45 degree over but completely on it's side, wheels off the ground.

Within 5 seconds there were 6 people surrounding the bike and asking me how I wanted them to pick it up!

I showed everyone what to hold and they slowly righted her, rolled her back to a perfectly flat spot far from where this happened, and gave me a puck for the sidestand.

The left mirror was burnt toast. Nothing but the glass itself was usable. Other than that, no visible damage. That doesn't mean NO damage.

There was no need to ride it until the races were over and we headed out.

Halfway back to Los Angeles, suddenly it would not downshift into 2 or 1. It was fine from 5 to 4 to 3, but no lower. No second or first. I rode for a few miles like that. Then I had to stop and get off to help my buddy, and I couldn't get it into neutral so it wouldn't start. I got down to mess with the shift lever by hand when I noticed it was pushed in and rubbing the fairing.

I pulled it out - away from the fairing and heard a nice, loud click. Suddenly, all my gears were back. We rode home.

I ordered a new shift pedal and installed it tonight, only to realize, it's not the shift lever that's bent. It's lands in the same spot as the old one - rubbing the fairing.

Then I notice the fairing is about 1/2" away from the chrome footrest plate where they should overlap for screwing the fairing down to the plate.

So it seems to me the left footrest plate is bent.

A search of the forums has no posts of this happening.

Although the plate is dense, it's actually bolted to the bike with 3 bolts behind the foot peg. There's nothing stabilizing it on the front of the plate, so theoretically, it could bend right there.

Has anyone heard of this or experienced this?

I've ordered another so when it arrives, I'll let you know if it solves the problem.

TIA.

mike p
2005 BMW K1200LT (got it in July 2007)
2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-12R (parked next to the LT)
1982 Suzuki GS-750EZ (paid $500
for it in 1985, sold it for $450 in 2000)
1978 Honda CB-500F (sold in 1980)
1976 Honda CB-400F (drowned to
death in the blizzard of 1978 in Boston)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 7:50 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Bent Footrest Plate?

Mike I remember Steve Rowe Breaking his foot plate last year. I think it was ether on the way to or from CCR. I'm sure he'll chime in here & update this. As for a replacement plate check with John Fisher AKA AlaskaFish. he is parting out a LT & may still have the foot plate.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 13 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 8:14 am

I haven't had this problem, but just wanted to thank you for sharing your story with the rest of us. It's one of those things to tuck away in the creases in the grey matter for later.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but it seems that you're keeping a stiff upper lip and still have your will to live. I rode the RT to the MOA rally and my buddy and I had to go through a couple of hog wallows and then some gravel to find a parking spot on some broken up asphalt. Wasn't sure if we'd make it to the parking area, then wasn't sure we'd come back to find our bikes upright. All worked out for us and we made it through unscathed. Looks like your luck was bad enough for all three of us.

Hope you get your LT back on the road and without too much hassle. I hope you at least enjoyed the races?

post #4 of 13 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 9:18 am

Have you taken the footrest plate off ?

Those are made of cast metal. It would be unusual for it to bend.
Maybe the mounts or the bolts but the plate normally would just break.

Check it out a little further. You may have ordered the wrong piece.

Let us know if it is really bent... And take a pic....

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 10:58 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen

John
Yeah, I can't believe that metal would bend either, but the bolts to secure it are behind the peg, to the rear of the bike, and there's nothing securing it forward of that, and there's nothing behind the forward part of the plate. If bent, it would be 1/2" or less, imperceptible when looking at it off the bike.

The area the plate mounts to looks to be the transmission, but I'm not sure of exactly what it is because I haven't had to take the tupperware off to take care of this. However, it's as solid as the engine block so it's obvious the plate would give long before the mounting surface would.

Yes, I've had it off the bike a couple of times. Everything looks fine. The seemingly snapping back in place when I pulled on it also leads me to believe it's bent.

Since it was only a mirror that broke when it dropped, I just chalked it up to the price of riding an LT. With the amount of money I've spent on this bike for service since I bought it in 2007, it would be dumb to complain. I had a few issues before it went out of warranty - all seal related. However the guy who sold it to me had 2 Harleys and this, and after he drove it for a few weeks he decided he is a Harley guy and just can't drive anything else. So he put it in his garage for over a year and had to charge the battery the day I came over in answer to his ad on Cycletrader.com.

The leaky seal problems from lack of miles are well documented here, and again, once they were fixed, the bike hasn't given me a nickel of trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushin9s
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but it seems that you're keeping a stiff upper lip and still have your will to live.

Hope you get your LT back on the road and without too much hassle. I hope you at least enjoyed the races?
After we parked the bike I went over it with a fine-tooth comb. Not a scratch on any painted surface anywhere. I have the black rubber BMR strips on the chrome saddlebag trim (an accessory I purchased from experience ) so the only loss of color was a tiny rub mark on the edge of the dash where the mirror touches it - very minor.

So I had a great time at the races (we were there for 3 days and next year we're planning on 4) and didn't know about the bent plate/shifter problem until 2/3 of the way home. Comparing this to any kind of accident when driving 700 miles in 3 days and I consider this a parking lot dent. The tough part would have been picking it up as it lay on it's side, but there were 50 concerned bikers withing 100 feet and they were there immediately. I had to convince them I was OK before they turned to pick up the bike - my first concern, of course! After it was over, I asked if anyone took a picture of it while down and the answer was no - they were too busy trying to help out!!! How cool/lucky is that?

I already got a new condition shift lever on fleabay for $35 and the plates are about $100, so that's no big deal, but as you can imagine, in three weeks a mirror has not come up for sale anywhere - fleabay, beemerboneyard or the MOA site.

I knew it was $350 so it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet. I've put back on the RT mirrors I bought for it and didn't like - but it'll allow me to bide time waiting for a cheaper one to come up.

In all, this is minor. And besides, I learned you can't park this on anything but flat, solid ground.

Thanks for all the comments - keep 'em coming.

mike p
post #6 of 13 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 11:49 am

I've noticed that the left side foot peg on mine is angled SLIGHTLY lower in the front than the right side is. I've checked and there does not appear to be any damage from a drop. It makes me wonder if it's angled a bit to allow a foot under the shifter. I have however dropped it on the right side.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #7 of 13 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 8:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6
I've noticed that the left side foot peg on mine is angled SLIGHTLY lower in the front than the right side is. I've checked and there does not appear to be any damage from a drop. It makes me wonder if it's angled a bit to allow a foot under the shifter. I have however dropped it on the right side.
I know something's wrong as the shift lever is now scraping the paint off the fairing behind it.

I found a used footrest on FleaBay today and bought it for $115 delivered.

I'll post the results once it's installed.

mike p
post #8 of 13 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 6:08 pm

You can also try Tony at LTParts.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbiker
Yeah, I can't believe that metal would bend either, but the bolts to secure it are behind the peg, to the rear of the bike, and there's nothing securing it forward of that, and there's nothing behind the forward part of the plate. If bent, it would be 1/2" or less, imperceptible when looking at it off the bike.

The area the plate mounts to looks to be the transmission, but I'm not sure of exactly what it is because I haven't had to take the tupperware off to take care of this. However, it's as solid as the engine block so it's obvious the plate would give long before the mounting surface would.

Yes, I've had it off the bike a couple of times. Everything looks fine. The seemingly snapping back in place when I pulled on it also leads me to believe it's bent.

Since it was only a mirror that broke when it dropped, I just chalked it up to the price of riding an LT. With the amount of money I've spent on this bike for service since I bought it in 2007, it would be dumb to complain. I had a few issues before it went out of warranty - all seal related. However the guy who sold it to me had 2 Harleys and this, and after he drove it for a few weeks he decided he is a Harley guy and just can't drive anything else. So he put it in his garage for over a year and had to charge the battery the day I came over in answer to his ad on Cycletrader.com.

The leaky seal problems from lack of miles are well documented here, and again, once they were fixed, the bike hasn't given me a nickel of trouble.

After we parked the bike I went over it with a fine-tooth comb. Not a scratch on any painted surface anywhere. I have the black rubber BMR strips on the chrome saddlebag trim (an accessory I purchased from experience ) so the only loss of color was a tiny rub mark on the edge of the dash where the mirror touches it - very minor.

So I had a great time at the races (we were there for 3 days and next year we're planning on 4) and didn't know about the bent plate/shifter problem until 2/3 of the way home. Comparing this to any kind of accident when driving 700 miles in 3 days and I consider this a parking lot dent. The tough part would have been picking it up as it lay on it's side, but there were 50 concerned bikers withing 100 feet and they were there immediately. I had to convince them I was OK before they turned to pick up the bike - my first concern, of course! After it was over, I asked if anyone took a picture of it while down and the answer was no - they were too busy trying to help out!!! How cool/lucky is that?

I already got a new condition shift lever on fleabay for $35 and the plates are about $100, so that's no big deal, but as you can imagine, in three weeks a mirror has not come up for sale anywhere - fleabay, beemerboneyard or the MOA site.

I knew it was $350 so it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet. I've put back on the RT mirrors I bought for it and didn't like - but it'll allow me to bide time waiting for a cheaper one to come up.

In all, this is minor. And besides, I learned you can't park this on anything but flat, solid ground.

Thanks for all the comments - keep 'em coming.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #9 of 13 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 9:30 pm

Yes this has happened to me as well. Went down at an intersection on spilled diesel fuel. The footrest plate was bent/pushed inwards. Sprung for new one from BMW ($$$)

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant
post #10 of 13 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 2:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen

John
Found a used one on fleabay for $115 delivered. Installed it and voila, that was the problem. Startling as it was to me, you can bend the footrest plate!

I put them side by side and parallel to each other and looked down from the top. It took a lot of looking (as my eyes got used to what they were looking at) but yep, you can see where the old one is not as straight as the new one. Actually, it's pretty obvious.

So the only thing I'm not happy about is the replacement has some fine scratches not described in the fleabay listing, but you wouldn't know they were there if you weren't a couple inches from it.

So now I can take my time and wait for one in brand new condition to come up for auction - there's not another scratch on the bike so I'd like to keep it that way.

I also now have two perfectly good shift levers for sale - cheap.

mike p
post #11 of 13 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 6:14 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
there's not another scratch on the bike so I'd like to keep it that way.
Lofty goals for owning a LT

I used to have high hopes also. I looked at my side plates a while ago and mine have fine scratches along the tops I assume from my boots. Oh well..........

After 21,000 I am less concerned, but still don't want a junker.

First dump, right hand turn, steep uphill, bank right, start to go, a fool comes flying, I clamp the brakes, she naps, slides on the asphalt, both wheels off the ground. Cost the chrome side strip and reflector on right side, bag cover right, plus the very expensive pop rivets, entire right mirror, right black tip over cover. I had 3,000 miles on the bike! It was a very expensive learning experience to say the least

I am glad you got your plate squared away.

How was your shift linkage? I know the sockets give it some give, but did you inspect that? Did the ball bolt on the plate look OK? Did you new/used come with them in or did you use you old one? It would be a good time to inspect and service it. I am almost due for my second clean and lube, as I want to do it every 10-12,000. It does shift really sweet after that linkage service.

Great you figured it out and no matter how dubious the title, schooled us on another thing we can break on the LT if we try hard enough

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #12 of 13 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 8:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
Lofty goals for owning a LT
Yeah, I know, but I've been camping several times 2 up in some nasty conditions and 10,000 miles in 2 years (on this 2005), and she still looks like she came out of the showroom last month. This due, in large part, because I have no kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
I am glad you got your plate squared away.

How was your shift linkage? I know the sockets give it some give, but did you inspect that? Did the ball bolt on the plate look OK? Did you new/used come with them in or did you use you old one? It would be a good time to inspect and service it. I am almost due for my second clean and lube, as I want to do it every 10-12,000. It does shift really sweet after that linkage service.

Great you figured it out and no matter how dubious the title, schooled us on another thing we can break on the LT if we try hard enough
I did Phil Johns linkage upgrade before a big trip last year, so it was a matter of moving all my parts from one plate to the other.

I will mention, by the way, that I have the Suburban Machines Peg Lowering Kit so I actually have to take out my Dremel and cut a piece off the plate to allow my shift lever to go low enough to shift.

Other than that, it was all straight forward.

mike p
post #13 of 13 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 4:05 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I did Phil Johns linkage upgrade before a big trip last year, so it was a matter of moving all my parts from one plate to the other.

I will mention, by the way, that I have the Suburban Machines Peg Lowering Kit so I actually have to take out my Dremel and cut a piece off the plate to allow my shift lever to go low enough to shift.

Other than that, it was all straight forward.
I bought the same linkage before I bought the bike, still have not installed it. It is in my tool kit though.

Is this why you had to Dremel, because of the linkage?

I have been running the lowering blocks also, again bought before I took possession of the bike, but I have no issues with them and stock linkage and the chrome plate.

I did put the extended shift lever on with the extended Brake pedal and it made the lowering blocks just right.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in