Mileage difference - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 6:44 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Mileage difference

I took my '99 on what I thought was a 167 mile ride to check out my new, to me, seat (thanks Byron). After downloading the tracks to Garmin RoadTrip, the mileage was only 152. I knew the speedometer was off 10%, but didn't think the odometer was too. Are the two related?

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 6:51 pm

Re: Mileage difference

They should be independent I'd think. Even my Suzuki had an "optimistic" speedometer but the odometer was spot on.

EDIT: But now that I recall, the speedo on the Zuki was a needle but the odometer was digital. Different from the dial odemeter you and I have on our LT.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #3 of 6 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 9:03 pm

Most motorcycle speedometers will not have the same error as a percentage between the speed and odometer. Normally it seems the odometer is the information that the manufacturers seem to target for accuracy and the speedometer reading is just close enough. Strange as it may seem Harley's are pretty good at getting both very close but most others including my LT read 4 to 5 MPH fast at highway speeds. I've checked my odometer over a 100 mile leg against my GPS and it was within 2/10ths of a mile. I'd call that damn near perfect. It kinda bugs me that after spending so much money on a new bike it didn't even come with an accurate speedometer. Of course 20 MPH increments on the face doesn't lend itself to an accurate quick scan of your speed either. It's gotten to the point I really don't even look at the speedometer anymore. I just instinctively look at my trusty over priced NAV III unit. Boy I feel better now!

2011 CVO FLTRUSE

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 11:44 pm

Hello jers99lt

The speed indicator is a rate display where the odometer is the display of a measurement calculation .
When comparing GPS distances to vehicle readout the distances will be the most accurate during a straight a course , the faster and longer you drive winding roads the more different the distances calculated will be . It has something to do with the sampling , calculating rate of the GPS . The new high end ones tend to be faster . If you want to see a Garmin nuvi loose it's mind and lock up take one on a commercial jet and have find a route . It just was not programed for that speed and not on a road it could find .

Bob G
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 9:52 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbob
Hello jers99lt

The speed indicator is a rate display where the odometer is the display of a measurement calculation .
When comparing GPS distances to vehicle readout the distances will be the most accurate during a straight a course , the faster and longer you drive winding roads the more different the distances calculated will be . It has something to do with the sampling , calculating rate of the GPS . The new high end ones tend to be faster . If you want to see a Garmin nuvi loose it's mind and lock up take one on a commercial jet and have find a route . It just was not programed for that speed and not on a road it could find .

Bob G
Thanks, that makes complete sense to me now. The samplings are point-to-point distances. I was riding the twistiest roads I could find through the corn/soy fields of northern IL. Not many!, It hit me as odd that both the speedo and odo were the same 10% off, and I couldn't resolve the correlation between the two.
Long story short, there is no correlation. Thanks for all the input.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 1:49 pm

The LTs odo (pre-05 - don't know whether they changed anything other than digi display) were about 3% optimistic IIRC

The Universe is expanding at 74.2 km/sec/Mpc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in