Dang LT! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 12:40 pm Thread Starter

Dang LT!

Ah man, what’s the world coming to? I rode my LT to all four corners of the U.S. on the SCMA Four Corners Tour, did one IBA SS1000 to give a buddy company, went to the BMW-MOA Rally, and just finished a BBG 1500 this morning at 3:57AM. All within a month. First of all, do I have a GREAT wife or what? Here’s my problem…the dang thing didn’t use any oil, nothing burned out … or up … or down … or anything else. It has ‘bout 86K on the clock and runs like a one too. I ought to change its name from Pegasus to Timex. Mileage was from 41.6 to 52.1mpg. No wonder I don’t post much on this site. The dang bike doesn’t give me a reason to! J I think I’ll go for a ride.

Darrell

'00 BMWK1200LT
'05 Triumph Tiger
IBA #16091
BMW-MOA #125320
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 1:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Dang LT!

Your post should be required reading for new or prospective owners. I checked my mileage yesterday for the last 8 fill-ups on my '99: 46.3mpg. I just make sure the tires are 42/48 and go.

Have fun,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #3 of 15 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 1:37 pm

I almost changed my bike's name to "Forrest", because it just keeps running...

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-

post #4 of 15 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 1:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I've only had mine for about a year and 10,000 miles with nothing but two small nuisance issues so far. Did the 24,000 last week and only needed two valve buckets. What a machine.

Perhaps a sticky thread for miles between mechanical failures would be an interesting balance to the final drive failure thread.

post #5 of 15 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 2:06 pm

Well, obviously some people are not creative enough to find a way to "bad mouth" a good product. Instead, they take the easy road of complimenting and praising a safe, comfortable, stable, well-built, beautiful, consistently reliable, fuel saving, head-turning, touring dream of a motorcycle.
Last spring, after reading many complaints about the LT, I had decided that I was riding the Studebaker of motorcycles, then I traveled from Texas to Arizona, Utah and Wyoming and back...and was reminded that I have indeed chosen wisely.
Thanks for starting this thread. Congratulations on your IBA rides. I've only done the 1000 so I am not in your league yet. Just give me a little time.

Doug Allison
2006 LT
BMW MOA #129428
IBA
post #6 of 15 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 2:22 pm

Same here - My LT takes big abuse here in NYC. Traffic, excessive heat, pot holes, etc. Not to mention it gets hit while parking constantly. The thing still runs with no trouble.

02 LT
post #7 of 15 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 2:59 pm

Me too! I keep thinking I'm in a love-hate relationship, but it's me, not the bike. Only had it about a year and a half with 11,000 miles on it. On a long trip I'll always take note of where the closest U-haul was so I know where to go for a ride home. Turns out the big girl brings me back each time - DAM. What's a guy to do?
post #8 of 15 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 6:16 pm

Doug, nothing wrong with a Studebaker. Mine is 59 years old, runs like a top and is worth about 6 times what it was when new! Let's hope the LTs of the world will perform that well after 59 years. Anyway, I love my LT and my Studey.

2005 K1200LT
1980 Kaw KZ1300
post #9 of 15 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 6:40 pm

I share your pain. Bought my 00 in 06 with 48K on the clock. Last time I rode her I turned over 80,000. Other than a cannister going south on me on my trip to Death Valley last year and the clutch switch getting a bit buggered out of place and not letting my cruise control engage on the way home from DV, I've not had any trouble out of Emil at all. I did do the throttle cable upgrade this past spring to my right wrist could last as long as the LT could on a day's ride.

Great bike and thanks for the encouraging, positive thread.
post #10 of 15 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 9:15 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Great positive post and a testament to what we all aspire to achieve out of our LT's.

You sure had one heck of a month in the saddle didn't you?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #11 of 15 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 9:40 pm
Gold Supporter

Congratulations, I'm suitably impressed. Makes my recent 3-day, 1000 mile trip (not a single issue) seem like a ride around the block. Not trying to hijack your thread, but given your extensive time in the saddle, I have to ask what seat/pad are you using and which windshield?

Jim H.
K1200LT '00 for Touring, '73 Norton for fun
post #12 of 15 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 11:02 pm

I have owned an '07 LT for 2 years. Bought brand new and now has 21,000 miles. About half of those miles with the S.O. behind. Only complaint is that the cruise control does not work when in triple digits. Dealer looked at me like I wan't supposed to ever discover that fact and then explained that it was designed that way.
post #13 of 15 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 11:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dqbrown
I have owned an '07 LT for 2 years. Bought brand new and now has 21,000 miles. About half of those miles with the S.O. behind. Only complaint is that the cruise control does not work when in triple digits. Dealer looked at me like I wan't supposed to ever discover that fact and then explained that it was designed that way.

That IS an impressive month! Good work!

As for the cruise control post quoted, did they change something on later models? My 2000s manual says cruise works up to 120mph, and I have confirmed that it does.

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

post #14 of 15 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 5:56 pm

I have recently purchased a 07 LT and I have ridden about 3K in 2 months. Aside from having to replace the tires, I should be able to rack a lot of miles!
Thanks 04'LT(Hildegard)!
post #15 of 15 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 6:07 pm

ya its been lowered my 09 turns it off at 95 LOL freaked me out a bit was well into the triple tree thought I set the CC and let go of the grip needless to say when she slows that fast it woke me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azredline
That IS an impressive month! Good work!

As for the cruise control post quoted, did they change something on later models? My 2000s manual says cruise works up to 120mph, and I have confirmed that it does.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in