gears - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 2:03 am Thread Starter

Exclamation gears

As anybody had any problems with there gear foot peddle falling off.

I set off yesterday from a set of traffic lights in first gear as i gained speed i then knocked it up into second gear and it felt very lumpy as i carried on accelerating i went for third gear to find the foot shift was solid and wouldn't move so i knocked it back down to first gear and the peddle fell down out of reach of my foot and now the bike is stuck in 1st gear

is this a common problem with these bikes or am i just a big footed oath that breaks anything i touch

regards Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 3:12 am

Smile Re: gears

you most likely broke the linkage, remove the foot plate to gain access to the linkage and check which part broke, you can probably get a replacement rod at your hardware store, there used to be a member who sold reinforced linkages, might look into it if you are a bit heavy footed.
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 1:06 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: gears

Look here for more info on the shift linkage:

Shift Linkage

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 2:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAYCLARKE
As anybody had any problems with there gear foot peddle falling off.

I set off yesterday from a set of traffic lights in first gear as i gained speed i then knocked it up into second gear and it felt very lumpy as i carried on accelerating i went for third gear to find the foot shift was solid and wouldn't move so i knocked it back down to first gear and the peddle fell down out of reach of my foot and now the bike is stuck in 1st gear

is this a common problem with these bikes or am i just a big footed oath that breaks anything i touch

regards Ray
It's a common enough problem that I took to carrying a spare threaded rod in my LT tool kit in case I had to repair it on the road. There seems to be a correlation between linkage failure and a previous left-side drop -- the shift lever gets jammed upwards, heavily loading the rod in the Rube Goldberg linkage between the lever and the tranny (the loading likely initates a crack in the rod, which eventually snaps).

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 4:45 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the advise.

Will take the casing off thursday morning when i have a day off work, So i will be able to spend some time on the bike and have a good look at the linkage and hopefully repair it.

Once again thanks to you all
Feeling a lot more positive about it now
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 4:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Look here for more info on the shift linkage:

Shift Linkage
I just clicked on the link in John's post, and realized that I had forgotten that I had written that doc!

It did remind me that in addition to the threaded rod (near part #9 in the shift linkage drawing), there is another common failure point: shearing the head off of the ball studs (parts #3). In addition to carrying the spare threaded rod, I also carried a couple of the ball studs in my LT kit. IIRC, the ball studs are relatively inexpensive from the dealer.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 6:29 pm

Inerestingly enough, I have been doing some cleaning and organizing in my garage this past week and found a parts bag with two "ball studs" and couldn't for the life of me remember why I had them. They are very close to the mirror studs but made of a different material. Seems I must have listened to you years ago Mark when you first wrote that piece, better put one back on the bike.....just in case. I have also carried one of David Shealey's rods for who knows how many years now. I guess thier talisman properties must be pretty strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
I just clicked on the link in John's post, and realized that I had forgotten that I had written that doc!

It did remind me that in addition to the threaded rod (near part #9 in the shift linkage drawing), there is another common failure point: shearing the head off of the ball studs (parts #3). In addition to carrying the spare threaded rod, I also carried a couple of the ball studs in my LT kit. IIRC, the ball studs are relatively inexpensive from the dealer.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 6:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffklt
Inerestingly enough, I have been doing some cleaning and organizing in my garage this past week and found a parts bag with two "ball studs" and couldn't for the life of me remember why I had them. They are very close to the mirror studs but made of a different material. Seems I must have listened to you years ago Mark when you first wrote that piece, better put one back on the bike.....just in case. I have also carried one of David Shealey's rods for who knows how many years now. I guess thier talisman properties must be pretty strong.
Hiya, Jeff!

Yep -- I still have David's piece in my tool kit, and I'm riding an RT now! I really should check to see whether it is usable on the new bike. The Max BMW parts fiche shows a rod in the RT shift linkage; I suspect it will be the same thread size/pitch -- just need to crawl under the bike and check the length.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in