EBC brakes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 11:21 am Thread Starter
kip

EBC brakes

Getting ready to replace brake pads/

I see in the HOW an EBC part number for the rear pads.

can someone confirm both front and rear pad part numbers for a 99 LT before i order them?

thanks very much

kip
99 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 1:00 pm

Here are the part numbers:
The EBC Pads that fit the K1200LT are:

* FA304HH (Rear, all years)
* FA246HH (Front, standard ABS, 1998 through 2001)
* FA294HH (Front, integrated ABS, some 2001 (Canada and Europe), all 2002 and 2003)

They can be purchased online at OnOffRoad.com.

I would suggest that you purchase the BMW pads for the front as the ebc's tend to raddle. The ebc's do not come with the pad retaining click as the bmw pads.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 2:48 pm

Thumbs up

Hear Hear on the BMW pads on the front.

DON

post #4 of 27 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 3:32 pm

I replaced both front and rear brake pads with EBC brakes purchased from Bike Bandit. It was hoped that using the EBC pads would solve "all" the squealing brakes.

I have since replaced the front with OEM pads, and retained the EBC for the rear. I still have a squeal in the last few feet of stopping from the rear. I reduced the squeal using an anti-squeal compound purchased at a local Automotive parts dealer, but not entirely.

Personally I would use the OEM pads all around, next time. I found the performance good in both pads, however I find myself explaining the squealing brakes to other riders a nuisance, not to mention why would a bike that should be engineering dream sound like it needs attention, when I know it does not.

Don
2001 K1200LT "Blue Bomber"
Vancouver Island, BC
post #5 of 27 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 12:23 am

I too have EBC rears and factory fronts. No squeal now what so ever...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #6 of 27 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 8:24 am

I also recommend buying the BMW pads for the front. But I''ll go one step further in recommending that you buy them at a local dealer. If we want these guys to stay in business, we need to support them. They may even carry the EBCs you need for the rear as well. I know my little dealer does...
post #7 of 27 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 7:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
Here are the part numbers:The EBC Pads that fit the K1200LT are:* FA304HH (Rear, all years)
FA304HH pads are sintered pads. I can say that for the '06 model LT, at least, the book specifies that ORGANIC pads be used for the rear, not sintered.

EBC pn FA304 (no HH suffix)
post #8 of 27 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 3:40 am

Garage
I have the '05 (Europe '04) with the FA304HH in the rear caliper. Excellent braking, no squealing. I don't see any reason to go for organic pads (less stopping power).

I haven't heard of any changes to the rear brakes for the '06 model, so I assume the FA304HH will be OK for that model as well.

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #9 of 27 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 8:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ®win
I have the '05 (Europe '04) with the FA304HH in the rear caliper. Excellent braking, no squealing. I don't see any reason to go for organic pads (less stopping power).

I haven't heard of any changes to the rear brakes for the '06 model, so I assume the FA304HH will be OK for that model as well.
If Mother Motorrad says I should use organic pads on my rear brake (and she does, on page 70 of the Maintenance Instruction book), that's what I'm going to do, especially if it gives me the added benefit of silence when I stop, which it has, for the past 227 miles.
post #10 of 27 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 9:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
I use EBC Front & Rear, Front have never rattled on my 02.
What I've been attempting to do with my posts in these EBC threads lately is to make the point that just making a generic reference to "EBC" isn't always the whole story.

EBC makes brake pads that fit the LT in both sintered (pn FA304HH) and organic (kevlar) (pn FA304) styles. This is important, to me, at least, due to the fact that BMW wants me to use sintered pads on my front brakes, and organic pads on my rear brakes. I see some posters recommending sintered pads for the rear brakes, arguing that sintered material provides better braking than organic. The problem is, this is counter to the BMW spec, for my '06 model, at least, and also comes at the expense of a greater wear rate on the rear rotor. My experience using organic pads on the rear has been that stopping power and brake pedal pressure are adequate in every way.

I installed EBC organic pads on my '06 227 miles ago, and each and every stop has been whisper quiet; no squeal, no noise of any sort. I hope it continues - the brake squealing business was an annoyance and an embarrassment, and it's a shame when customers wind up doing a company's R&D, IMO.

Last edited by CriticalMass; Feb 17th, 2006 at 10:29 am.
post #11 of 27 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 9:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalMass
What I've been attempting to do with my posts in these EBC threads lately is to make the point that just making a generic reference to "EBC" isn't always the whole story.

EBC makes brake pads that fit the LT in both sintered (pn FA304HH) and organic (kevlar) (pn FA304) styles. This is important, to me, at least, due to the fact that BMW wants me to use sintered pads on my front brakes, and organic pads on my rear brakes. I see some posters recommending sintered pads for the rear brakes, arguing that sintered material provides better braking than organic. [snip]
Just for the record...my current rear pads ARE EBC sintered pads. No noise! Nada. However...when I change them in a few weeks, I did buy the organic EBCs as an experiment. I'm betting that there will be no noticeable difference in stopping power. We'll see...
post #12 of 27 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 9:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Just for the record...my current rear pads ARE EBC sintered pads. No noise! Nada. However...when I change them in a few weeks, I did buy the organic EBCs as an experiment. I'm betting that there will be no noticeable difference in stopping power. We'll see...
That's very interesting to me - sintered and no squeal.

I have to keep qualifying that I can only speak to the BMW spec for the '06 bikes, but it clearly calls for organic on the rear. I don't really have enough miles (227) on the organic pads yet to know if the squeal is finally gone permanently - I seem to recall that it didn't start when I bought the bike until I had about 300 miles on it, so I'm still in a "we'll see" mode as well.

I certainly have no complaints about the stopping power with these pads, though.
post #13 of 27 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:01 am

Quote:
That's very interesting to me - sintered and no squeal.
One good argument to go with NON-sintered EBCs is because they would be easier on the rotor. This is the reason for my little experiment.
post #14 of 27 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
One good argument to go with NON-sintered EBCs is because they would be easier on the rotor. This is the reason for my little experiment.
The HH sintered pads are not hard on rotors. I used them for nearly 100,000 miles, same rotor, still was good when I totaled the bike.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #15 of 27 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 11:00 am

OK...so allow me to reword my statement.

"The only thing harder on a rear rotor than sintered brake pads, is David Shealey." (Sorry David...just couldn't resist.)
post #16 of 27 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 3:00 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
On the '00-'01 LTs, the organic pads just didn't give enough stopping power. You could just about stand of the rear brake and the bike would kinda slow down some. I don't think you could ever get enough braking power to engage the ABS. So the HH sintered pads made a huge difference.

On the '02 and up Integral brakes, braking power isn't an issue. Many of us still use HH pads because they do help minimize the squealing. But I'm willing to consider alternatives as well. So I'm interested in how Joe's little experiment pans out, and I'd also like to get your results after a few thousand miles.

Let us know how it goes long term.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #17 of 27 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 3:01 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Nah, David was fine with rear rotors. It's the front of the bikes he kept having trouble with.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #18 of 27 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 7:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
On the '02 and up Integral brakes, braking power isn't an issue. Many of us still use HH pads because they do help minimize the squealing. But I'm willing to consider alternatives as well. So I'm interested in how Joe's little experiment pans out, and I'd also like to get your results after a few thousand miles.
For the record, "Joe's little experiment" is already underway on "Dave's" '06, as posted previously in this thread. And, to reiterate, organic pads are BMW spec for my 2006 LT. Using HH pads on my bike would be going into "test pilot" territory. At the present time, I see no compelling reason to do that.
post #19 of 27 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Quote:
For the record, "Joe's little experiment" is already underway on "Dave's" '06...
Then you don't understand the premise of MY experiment. I want to see if there is a substantial braking difference between the sintered and NON-sintered EBCs. And I don't give two hoots about what kind of pads BMW specs for a K1200LT...2002 or 2006 model. If something works better...it's better. Period. I don't give a rip what Hans or Franz says over there in BeemerVille. What's the worse that could happen? A fried rotor?! David Shealey already said his rotors were fine after 100K. My bike's getting sold before 100K...when the "new" LT is released. I guarantee it.

I don't mean to belittle your wishes to keep non-sintered pads. Your LT is much newer than mine, and still under it's factory warranty. Besides, the brakes are so good on these LT's, what's the point? I just happened on a good deal with non-sintered EBC pads and thought, "What the heck?".
post #20 of 27 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 8:02 pm

Red face

Quote:
I was replying to "meese's" post.
You actually read Meese's posts? Wow! Impressive...
post #21 of 27 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 8:59 pm

Brakes I'm glad your talking about them

My new to me 2002LT (16.5Km) squealed all the way home when I got on the highway and started cruising around 80. I wanted to turn around and take it back. But the ride was amazing!! Every now and then I would hear a brake squeal, ??was that me??then I would tap either my front or rear grip/pedal and it would stop, then a few minutes or few miles later it would do it again. Got home popped them out and looked at them close. They had plenty of life left in them so i put some blue goo (Silencer Brake Nine) my German is not that good yet. Stuff you use on cars to stop the pad from floating around on the pucks in the caliper. Anyway it didn't stop it entirely.

This is crazy there must be away! The strange thing is mine does it when we are moving. Not coming to a halt. German again.
DO you think the brake system might need a check at the LBS.
post #22 of 27 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 9:00 pm

Quote:
For the record, "Joe's little experiment" is already underway on "Dave's" '06, as posted previously in this thread. And, to reiterate, organic pads are BMW spec for my 2006 LT. Using HH pads on my bike would be going into "test pilot" territory. At the present time, I see no compelling reason to do that.
You woudl not be a test pilot. A LARGE percentage of us have been using Sintered pads on the rear of the LT for years, the fronts are already sintered.

Many BMW dealers install and stock the sintered pads, EBC or Ferodo. My dealer had both.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #23 of 27 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 9:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Nah, David was fine with rear rotors. It's the front of the bikes he kept having trouble with.
Yeah. The first time I removed front rotors I used an entirely incorrect method.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CrashedLT2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	2042  

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #24 of 27 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 9:06 pm

But it was FASTER!
post #25 of 27 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 9:47 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Dave, we understand exactly what you're saying (BMW says organic only), and what you're trying to test (EBC organic pads instead of BMW pads). It's your bike, so if you're more comfortable staying with organic pads, that's fine. No one's arguing what you put on your bike (except Joe, and we mostly just ignore him).

We're only trying to explain what this group has learned so far, to you and to anyone else who may come across this thread now or in the future. The wonder of the internet is that many more people read than respond, and once it's written it stays in the archives forever. So several of us try and keep things accurate by posting details or more of an explanation that what may have been called for.

My "experiments" with more than 6 brake pad changes match David's and many others' experiences: the HH pads work better with no noticeable rotor wear issues. Several of us take BMW's information with a large grain of salt, and would rather rely on our own experiences and intuition to verify whatever happens to be translated from German. Just ask about factory recommended oil or BMW approved tires to see what we mean.

That said, I'm glad you're trying this, and that you're sharing the info with us. The Collective Wisdom can be changed, but only after solid proof is offered, and usually verified by more than one individual. At this point, I don't think 300 miles is nearly enough to form a conclusion. But we do look forward to your results as the miles add up.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Last edited by meese; Feb 17th, 2006 at 10:00 pm.
post #26 of 27 Old Apr 4th, 2006, 12:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsobeck
Hear Hear on the BMW pads on the front.

DON
Howdy All:

I hope you are well.

Anybody by chance have the part number for the fonts from BMW? I have a 200.

Best regards, tony
Northville, MI
post #27 of 27 Old Apr 4th, 2006, 6:01 pm

Sintered

I just put the sintered pads on the rear of my LT today. And I can tell you that after bedding them in the stopping power is much better than the organic BMW pads were. My rotor was not perfect anyway and maybe the sintered pads will smooth it out a little. I was able to activate the abs for the first time.
On dry pavement it's way jerkier than automobile abs...You definitely know when it kicks in..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in