Won't Do THAT Again! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 11:43 pm Thread Starter

Won't Do THAT Again!

Though I might be wrong....I am thinking I slowly drained my battery over the weekend by leaving the Reverse Selector in... Ahhhh.... R.

I went on a road trip Thursday...parked the LT in a garage that night (backed in using R). Today, I went to get her out for my return trip...and oopse.. sorry.. not enough gusto to turn her over.... I noticed I left the selector in R....grrrr

Found a nearby hill... and she fired right up.... and is running fine now.

So... if you happen to do what I did, and it IS true that if you leave the selector in Reverse, a solenoid will remain engaged...don't do it! Put it back to F.

Robert

Asleepless
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
knight
'03 LTE Titan Silver - Active Duty
'83 VF750F Interceptor White/Red - Retired
'74 MT250 Elsinore Silver - RIP
'72 SL125 Silver - RIP

BMWMOA #143933

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 8:46 am

Re: Won't Do THAT Again!

I'm thinking you'll need a battery soon... when you power off the bike should be totally powered off... with exception of "keep alive" power for radio, alarm/locking system.
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 10:18 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Ditto,

Some thing else has drained the battery. Those switches merely transfer the output of the starter button from the starter relay to the reverser controller to run the starter motor.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 10:22 am

Yup, I've done that plenty of times. The Reverse didn't cause the battery drain.

02 LT
post #5 of 9 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 2:19 pm

Did not leave the radio on, did you? Or, something plugged into the aux socket?

Don't forget, the first "off" position of the keyswitch leaves these loads still powered. Only "lock" position kills all.

And, of course, a bad battery is a very real possibility.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #6 of 9 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 2:47 pm

I left the reverse in all the time when at home without draining the battery. Probably yours is about due for change. I found leaving it in reverse as a way to delay thiefs from starting it if they broke into the house and got the keys. They take a lot of cars that way around here now due to improved security on the vehicle. After all we own the bike and how many of us have tried to start it in reverse and taken a while to work out why it wont work.
post #7 of 9 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 11:15 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys... It could very well have been the radio...... I wouldn't have noticed it as I was distracted by the reverse switch... and then when it didn't have the juice to fire it up, thinking about how I was going to get her going again.... much appreciated. She seems fine now.

Now that iPod harness I got last fall...... anybody know of a fix for that draining the battery? I know I know read the archives.... I just had to ask.

Asleepless
knight
'03 LTE Titan Silver - Active Duty
'83 VF750F Interceptor White/Red - Retired
'74 MT250 Elsinore Silver - RIP
'72 SL125 Silver - RIP

BMWMOA #143933

post #8 of 9 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 9:35 am

I don't think the radio is to blame on the 03's, I could be wrong however. I'd start with the aftermarket farkels if you have any.

02 LT
post #9 of 9 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 7:14 pm

I have had two things drain the battery: trunk light, and parking light.

I had a Gold Wing before the LT, and on the Wing the most counter-clockwise position was locked and off. On the LT, that's the second to the last position -- the last one leaves a small bulb in the headlight assembly on. I asked the DW for a bottle of cheap red nail polish and painted a line on the ignition switch where the key slot should be when it's really off. That's saved my bacon a couple of times.

I've also found during the winter with the radio, grip heat, seat heat, and aftermarket lights all on, after a week of 10 mile each way commutes, the battery was dragging. An overnight session on the Battery Tender brought it back to snuff.

If you look at the map and don't care where you are, you're not lost.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in