I have a fuel leak!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 8:59 pm Thread Starter

I have a fuel leak!!!

Hello everyone. Big Betsy has been in the garage for the past month. I had to install a beam spanning my garage door and because the gent who helped me had limited time it was not a quick job. The door was immobile during this period as the tracks had to be removed to do the job.

Yesterday we finally took the door down and I was able to get Betsy out. I checked the tires, fired up her and took a short spin around the neighborhood. All seemed to be well. Today I started her and was talking to a neighbor and when I looked over at the bike there was liquid dripping from the bottom of the bike (at the oil pan cover). It turned out to be gas.

Now my question. Since my garage is currently stuffed with furniture (remodeling) I will have to pull the bike out to work on her. I would like to ensure that I have whatever parts I need to fix the leak the same day I begin the work. I would like to solicit your suggestions on what the most likely cause is and what parts I might need. Thanks in advance for any advice. This is a great forum and is always a tremendous help.

The good news is my 30K maintenance is due so I was going to be working on her anyhow.

Thanks again.

Have a great ride,

David
Dallas, TX
2006 K1200GT
BMWMOA 142756
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 9:06 pm

Re: I have a fuel leak!!!

I've read a lot of talk about some plastic quick disconnects in the fuel lines?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
2002 Chartreuse Yellow and Black BMW K1200LT Tickets
post #3 of 16 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 10:15 pm

Normally that leak is from the quick disconnect fittings where the fuel line goes into the tank. If you want to be sure to have something that will get you by until you get metal quick disconnects, go to your local hardware store and get 2 ea 5/16 brass Straight Barb Hose Coupler Fittings and 4 hose clamps to fit.

When it happened to me I broke the second one just getting it out of the way.

HTH,

Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383

post #4 of 16 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 9:12 am

What Ron said..

Getcha some straight thru barbed couplers and some hose clamps and It'll never
need fixin again.

Or some metal quick disconnects...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #5 of 16 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 9:24 am Thread Starter

Is there a part number for metal quick disconnects or are they an aftermarket part?

Have a great ride,

David
Dallas, TX
2006 K1200GT
BMWMOA 142756
post #6 of 16 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 9:24 am

+1 on Ron. Get the cheap fittings from the hardware store instead of the pricey disconnects from BMW. The cheap fittings will last forever.

Getting the old one's off is a real pain, so I broke it and left the male end of the disconnect in the line. Pretty simple fix overall.

02 LT
post #7 of 16 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 9:46 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2ride
Is there a part number for metal quick disconnects or are they an aftermarket part?
HERE you go David

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 16 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 9:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2ride
I picked mine up at smallparts.com. See this thread for the part numbers.

Remember to install them opposite male-to-female so it makes it easier to reconnect the lines correctly if you ever have to uncouple them (I.e., one line has male on the right and the other line, put the male on the left hand side).

There's also another thread about these parts that is easily found searching "smallparts" in the K1200LT forum.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #9 of 16 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 10:17 am

The rubber seal can also leak if the cap holding it in place becomes slightly loose.
post #10 of 16 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 4:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
The rubber seal can also leak if the cap holding it in place becomes slightly loose.
Are you talking about the filler cap?
Thanks

2003 R1200CL Silver
1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate poor man's six-banger
2008 Yamaha Venture - Sold after 6 months; I already miss the casette deck
2003 LT - Gone to be mated with a sidecar
1999 LT - Gone but not forgotten; my first Beemer
post #11 of 16 Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 7:20 pm

Out in west Texas, smelled fuel a while back.

Since I have not yet done my QDs, I went to home depot but all the had was 1/4".

Picked up a couple, plus clamps, in case fuel smell coming from my bike (smell disappeared after a couple miles and no visible spray or wetness).

QUESTION: anyone see a problem with using 1/4 instead of 5/16 as an emergency repair just to make the 300 mile trip home, if it comes to it?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #12 of 16 Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 9:33 pm

Red face Re: I have a fuel leak!!!

I had installed the quick disconnects last winter and three days ago, a very strong smell of fuel in the garage. I've been riding the bike all summer and assumed that maybe a fuel line had split. When I took the tupperware off, the leak was the rubber seal around the fuel pump was leaking. I tried to tighten the ring which only made the leak worse. Disassmbled everything and re-assembled with a little lube - leak is cured. Also, figured out that the fuel pump can be removed without pulling the fuel pump.
post #13 of 16 Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Out in west Texas, smelled fuel a while back.

Since I have not yet done my QDs, I went to home depot but all the had was 1/4".

Picked up a couple, plus clamps, in case fuel smell coming from my bike (smell disappeared after a couple miles and no visible spray or wetness).

QUESTION: anyone see a problem with using 1/4 instead of 5/16 as an emergency repair just to make the 300 mile trip home, if it comes to it?
I'd use 5/16 on the pressurized side if at all possible. I got mine at Autozone.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #14 of 16 Old Sep 4th, 2012, 10:22 am

Made it home, there was no fuel leak. Was a wake-up call to get the metal QDs from RPW on the bike.

Tupperware is off on that side and am headed back out to put them on. Unopened double-barbs will go back to the Home Despot.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #15 of 16 Old Sep 7th, 2012, 5:48 am

I did a search for ďfuel leakĒ and found this thread. I thought Iíd add to this one instead of starting a new one so maybe the next guy will find some help all in one place.

Iím a new owner of a 03 LT and never had any Tupperware off the bike since Iíve owned it, but a fuel leak has me wrenching on this thing for the first time. While searching for info here, I also found a post by a member who described how to remover the panel to get at the QDís. I have forgotten his name, but his post made the job very easy for a first timer like myself, so I wanted to share it with everyone who may not have seen it. I hope he doesnít mind my additions to his post. By the way every tool needed is in the tool pouch that came with the bike. Any way thanks again to who ever posted this originally, you really made my job easy.

################################################## ###################
The only tupperware you need to remove is the right upper body panel. There quite few screws of different lengths, so pay attention to sizes as you remove them.

Hereís what you need to do remove to get to QDís.
*Remove the tip over wing outer cover. (two screws, underneath the wing)
*Remove the tip over chrome cover. (three screws, two underneath, one in the rear.)
(NOTE: If you have J-Pegs of Mick-o-Pegs you need to remove them first)
(When removing the J-Pegs be careful not to lose the small steel indexing ball)
*Remove the right mirror with a sharp blow using the palm of your hand.
*Remove the right turn signal.
*Remove the small panel directly in front of the seat. (two screws under oddments lid, then slide down.)
*Remove right side adjustable wind deflector. (three screws underneath unit.)
*Remove body panel screws. From memory they are located:
-one under the mirror.
-two in turn signal recess.
-three along the bottom of the panel.
-one under the seat.
-one under the oddment lock cover.
*After you have all the screws removed, there is a steel plug under the seat location that clips into a rubber donut. Pop that loose, then grab the panel and remove it. There is a channel along the top edge of the panel that secures it under the stingray, carefully rotate out and up to free it from the channel. QDís will be located under the fuel tank.

To re-assemble, pop the panel into the channel, the plug into the rubber donut and secure the screws.

Donít forget to put some leashes on the mirrors if you donít have them.
post #16 of 16 Old Sep 7th, 2012, 7:29 pm
Super Moderator

High quality - small to fit properly - kitted out especially for the K1200LT

Bought others from Beemer Boneyard but they were very large and were tough to tuck away in the space allotted.

On my new LT I have used these . . .

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...ineDisconnects

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in