mirrors (glass) falling off - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 7:16 pm Thread Starter

mirrors (glass) falling off

The 99 LT I bought used had the mirrors with turn indicators in them and they have been getting so lose the image is very shaky. Then today one fell off while riding at highway speeds over some bumps in the road, twice in fact, the first time the wring to the lights held it on till I could pull over, the next time a gust of wind pulled the connector lose and off went the mirror (being on an interstate there was no chance of going back..) When I got home I looked at the other one and it popped off the adjustment ring pretty easy ( wasn't even really trying to remove it in fact, it just popped off) and doesn't seem real sturdy when re-attached. Do the mirrors (Just the glass, not the housing) on the LT just get lose like this, is it the snaps on the mirror or the ring they clip on to that wears? I'm assuming that I am snapping the mirrors back on right, but it sure seems like it should be lots tighter. I did note the ring they attach to seems to have two raised ridges running around the outer surface, should the clips on the mirror clip over the second ridge? Also the aftermarket ones I have only have 4 sets of clips, one at each 90 Deg. angle, do the stock mirrors have move clips and stay on any better?

I'm not going to pay out the bucks for ones with turn indicators because of cost, but wonder if those are more prone to the mirror glass getting lose over time?

Thanks

RM

I ride because I look funny walking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 7:20 pm

Re: mirrors (glass) falling off

That has been an issue with the Muth mirriors, they just don't stay attached like the BMW standard mirrors do. Just replace them with the BMW glass and you'll be fine. Also, pop the mirror housing and make sure that you have teathers back there. The full mirror housing has been known to come off on hard bumps.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 10:42 pm

Muth has a round self-adhesive spacer available, that can be placed, so that the extra movement that appears over time is eliminated, but even those spacers over time tend to compress and the looseness returns.. I have one that is becoming very loose right now and will most likely just install the spacer and pop the glass back on..

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 10:35 am
Lifetime Supporter

You might also want to put a dab of grease on each of the mounting posts. That helps the springs get fully seated on the post.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 5:43 pm Thread Starter

thanks all, I suspected that the Muth mirrors might not clip on as firmly as stock, personally I could care less about the blinking turn signals in the mirrors, the bike has them in the case side lights and lower wind deflector as well as the stock ones. I think I might add some tethers to the mirror glass and the housing already have them installed.

RM

I ride because I look funny walking!
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 2:21 pm

Every time I see a mirror thread I try and think of all the reasons I don't like these mirrors.

1. They are too low.
2. You can't see directly behind you.
3. They always seem to need adjusting and you can kill yourself trying while riding.
4. They fall off too easy and break even easier.
5. They are impossible to fix and cost too much to replace.

I installed a set of RS mirrors on the bars and love them. Even though I don't use the factory mirrors I had one fly off after a tight squeeze with some tall road cones and it cost me $100.00 for the glass (Muth) and the plastic around one of the clips is broken and the mirror wobbles without something jammed into the side. Not to mention I had to run down the road in traffic looking for the damned thing after it fell off. (Now tethered) If someone made a nice cover for the factory mirror area I would take them off completely. Any entrepreneurs out there?

Love the LT though
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 5:28 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

+1 on covers.

I wish someone would come up with a cover to snap on as the mirrors. Mine would be gone also.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in