Question about my 2009 LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 24th, 2009, 10:10 am Thread Starter

Question about my 2009 LT?

I am a bit puzzled by my BMW Dealership and just wanted some comments/explanations about what I was told. About three weeks ago I went into my local BMW dealership in SC and liked the new 2009 LT they had. Salesperson was most helpful and told me that the BMW promotion on that bike for the month was the free Nav 3 GPS. He then suggested we test ride the bike, which we did and loved it. When we got back to dealership, he told me he was mistaken, that the free GPS had expired and the new promotion was the free autocom system installed. I preferred the GPS, but they said they could not get BMW to swap the two. We bought the bike and the autocom was ordered. They also agreed to sell me the GPS Nav 3 at their cost, which I thought was very fair. Today, I just took the bike to have the autocom system installed and at first, they did not know how long it would take. They told me this was the first one they had installed on a K1200LT so they had to get into it a bit before they could project a time. About an hour later, they told me this would most likely be an all day job. Their labor charge is $82.00 per hour. Here is where my questions begin. First, I didnt understand how they could have never installed one in an LT because that is the most likely bike to have an autocom system. Since BMW gives this away as a promotional item, it would seem that they should have installed many. This dealership has a great reputation for having a good service department and there isn't another dealership within 150 miles, so who has been doing these installs? Second, it seems it would have been must cheaper for them to just give me the GPS instead of the autocom, because at $82.00 per hour labor, and an all day job of installation, the labor cost would be greater than their cost of the GPS, and they would still have the autocom system they could sell. Has anyone here had an autocom installed on their LT and was it an all-day job of installation? Isn't the autocom system a fairly common system to install on the K1200LT? Guess I am just puzzled.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 24th, 2009, 10:24 am

Re: Question about my 2009 LT?

AutoCom just went through an upgrade on all their eqiupment in the last 2 years, but splicing into the rear speakers to pick up the sound and bring power in from the battery shouldn't take 8 shop hours. My question is why would BMW, corporate install an AutoCom system, over the BMW system? I think they wouldn't.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #3 of 12 Old Jul 24th, 2009, 10:42 am Thread Starter

...but this was a free incentive from BMW?

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 24th, 2009, 10:43 am

I agree with Steve.

The rear speaker wires are EASY to access and tap. You only need to take off the rear seat to get to them, two small allen head bolts. All that is needed is the wiring schematic to know which color wires you are hunting for. Running a fused lead from the battery is simple as well...

I'm thinking an hour and a few bucks for the fused lead - which probably comes with the Autocom.

Maybe since the schematic is in German, the tech needs to go class all day to learn the translation for three different colors.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jul 24th, 2009 at 10:52 am.
post #5 of 12 Old Jul 24th, 2009, 10:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhunter44
I am a bit puzzled by my BMW Dealership and just wanted some comments/explanations about what I was told. About three weeks ago I went into my local BMW dealership in SC and liked the new 2009 LT they had. Salesperson was most helpful and told me that the BMW promotion on that bike for the month was the free Nav 3 GPS. He then suggested we test ride the bike, which we did and loved it. When we got back to dealership, he told me he was mistaken, that the free GPS had expired and the new promotion was the free autocom system installed. I preferred the GPS, but they said they could not get BMW to swap the two. We bought the bike and the autocom was ordered. They also agreed to sell me the GPS Nav 3 at their cost, which I thought was very fair. Today, I just took the bike to have the autocom system installed and at first, they did not know how long it would take. They told me this was the first one they had installed on a K1200LT so they had to get into it a bit before they could project a time. About an hour later, they told me this would most likely be an all day job. Their labor charge is $82.00 per hour. Here is where my questions begin. First, I didnt understand how they could have never installed one in an LT because that is the most likely bike to have an autocom system. Since BMW gives this away as a promotional item, it would seem that they should have installed many. This dealership has a great reputation for having a good service department and there isn't another dealership within 150 miles, so who has been doing these installs? Second, it seems it would have been must cheaper for them to just give me the GPS instead of the autocom, because at $82.00 per hour labor, and an all day job of installation, the labor cost would be greater than their cost of the GPS, and they would still have the autocom system they could sell. Has anyone here had an autocom installed on their LT and was it an all-day job of installation? Isn't the autocom system a fairly common system to install on the K1200LT? Guess I am just puzzled.....

It took 6.5 hours of actual shop time to install the Com system in my new '09. I quizzed the lead tech, and he allowed that it really did take that long with tupperware removal, and new wiring. BMW allowed the dealer up to 8 hours of in shop time for this install though.

My indication is that they (BMW NA) had lots of the com systems left on the shelf, and BMW NA was looking for a way to get them out of stock (along with the rear luggage rack. the new K version will not (obviously) use these components.

BMW NA had over 200 of the '09s in crates in NJ when I ordered mine in June (after totalling my '05).

I don't know about your dealership, but I (personally) have purchased almost half of the K12LT's that have arrived in the dealers showroom (I have purchased 2).. not a big seller in Maine....

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 24th, 2009, 10:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
I agree with Steve.

Maybe since the schematic is in German, the tech needs to go class all day to learn the translation for three different colors.

Funny you should mention that Ron.
I asked for and got all of the manuals that came with the Com system. Everything was in German. everything, no translation. The tech told me it caused some delays getting bablefish translations for the instructions. He has installed previous years coms, but not this version.

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CBCP

post #7 of 12 Old Jul 24th, 2009, 11:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
AutoCom just went through an upgrade on all their eqiupment in the last 2 years, but splicing into the rear speakers to pick up the sound and bring power in from the battery shouldn't take 8 shop hours. My question is why would BMW, corporate install an AutoCom system, over the BMW system? I think they wouldn't.

they wouldn't. mine is the BMW Com system, the new model. That is what was offered free with purchase! (Better than a toaster!)

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CBCP

post #8 of 12 Old Jul 24th, 2009, 12:01 pm Thread Starter

I guess perhaps it is the BMW system that I am getting. It is the one that was free with the purchase of the 2009 LT, so hopefully its the new system. I just remember the salesperson calling it an autocom. I didnt know autocom was a brand. I thought (guess supidly) that that was his slang for automatic communication, etc, etc. Anyway, thanks for all of the info. Guess I will know more when I pick it up tomorrow morning....
post #9 of 12 Old Jul 24th, 2009, 4:56 pm

Quote:
I guess perhaps it is the BMW system that I am getting. It is the one that was free with the purchase of the 2009 LT, so hopefully its the new system. I just remember the salesperson calling it an autocom. I didnt know autocom was a brand. I thought (guess supidly) that that was his slang for automatic communication, etc, etc. Anyway, thanks for all of the info. Guess I will know more when I pick it up tomorrow morning....

BMW branded Voice II is what they installed on my '09. works slick with my Zune.

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CBCP

post #10 of 12 Old Jul 24th, 2009, 5:45 pm
Ted

Quote:
This dealership has a great reputation for having a good service department and there isn't another dealership within 150 miles, so who has been doing these installs?
In April 2008 I visited Champion BMW in Charleston and was very impressed. Very friendly, helpful, and responsive. Had it not been for FedEx screwing-up all would have turned out well.

If it were me I'd take a little 225 mile road trip, and have breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner at Alex's Restaurant about a quarter mile due east of the dealer. Wish I could find a place like that here in Southern California - great grits, biscuits and gravy, sausage, etc. I had a breakfast there I'll never forget.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #11 of 12 Old Jul 24th, 2009, 6:20 pm

I purchased a new 2009 LT in June of last year. Prior to 09 I think the Voice II comm system was standard fit from the factory. It was dropped in 09 to keep the bike price from escalating and to stay in line with the competition. I didn't get any deal off the purchase price of the bike but they did knock 10% off the comm system and nav system and the install was free. The dealer did say it was almost a full day for the comm system install. If you had never installed the system before I can see spending 5 or more hours on the job.

2011 CVO FLTRUSE
post #12 of 12 Old Jul 24th, 2009, 9:02 pm

The July incentive for buying the LT was the BMW Voice II Communication System. I chose not to get it installed, cuz the cargo can just lean forward to scream in my ear to "SLOW DOWN." But, my dealership did knock the $800 bucks of the cost of the bike instead of the Voice II install!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in