Problems with 02 K1200LT in service bulletin - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 11:11 pm Thread Starter

Problems with 02 K1200LT in service bulletin

I just bought a 02 K1200LTC and found some problems I have listed in the BMW service bulletins. Like rear brake noise, throttle Action Stiff, delayed throttle response. Can I get these problems fixed at a BMW dealer?

Doug
Cincinnati, Ohio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 11:31 pm

Many of the service bulletins were advisory in nature and had expiration dates. The brake squeel, for example, was only authorized if the customer complained and he did it before x date. I complained before the date and before the SB. And then never got around to taking it back to the shop after the SB. I've still got the squeeling breaks. Damn.
post #3 of 18 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 8:23 am

your ecu should be the new more modern version. the throttle cables are about 400 dollars and the rear disk is expensive. I thought all this was fixed in 2002 and that 2001 was the last problem year

post #4 of 18 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 9:33 am

stiff cable replacement, Fuel line O-ring, etc

I bought a used 2002 and none of that was taken care of. I don't know why, maybe the other owner just like to ride and not service the bike.

I have a few months left on warranty and BMW took care of my service bulletin problems (stiff cable replacement, Fuel line O-ring, etc) for free.

Justin Case
02 BMW K1200LTE
97 Kawasaki Concours
81 Honda Goldwing

post #5 of 18 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 9:41 am

Doug,
A lot of the problems you're lookin' at are repairable yourself. The new brake pads BMW is selling have anti-squeal pads & are quiet. The new throttle cable kit is a little over $200 at my local dealer & 20% off from Chicago BMW. The delayed throttle response is usually free to fix by cutting the infamous "brown wire". The Hall Of Wisdom has the answers to all these problems & more. A little time there will fix most problems with the LT, save you arguing with a dealer, & cost a lot less.

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"
post #6 of 18 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 10:08 am
Super Moderator

Yes, you can. Some of these changes the dealer will make regardless of whether the waranty is still in place or not. Talk to your dealer about them; I'm sure he can take care of you.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 7:42 am

stiff throttle

The stiff throttle can also cause your cruise control to stop working. I got tired of taking it to the dealer, so I got a cable luber (clamps to cable) and lubed the cables. Much improved and my cruise always works. Get a throttle rocker too, it's cheap and relieves forearm stress.
post #8 of 18 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 7:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by damenke
I just bought a 02 K1200LTC and found some problems I have listed in the BMW service bulletins. Like rear brake noise, throttle Action Stiff, delayed throttle response. Can I get these problems fixed at a BMW dealer?

Doug
Cincinnati, Ohio
A good dealer who cares about his customers will take care of these things. A poor dealer will blow you off. Which kind do you have?

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #9 of 18 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 11:17 am

I checked to archives of the old web site and under "dealer experiences", many have had excellent results with BMW Tristate right in your home town. http://www.bmwtristate.com/
If you do not feel up to a DIY, give them a try...you can always say "no thanks".

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #10 of 18 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 12:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_laskie
The stiff throttle can also cause your cruise control to stop working. I got tired of taking it to the dealer, so I got a cable luber (clamps to cable) and lubed the cables. Much improved and my cruise always works. Get a throttle rocker too, it's cheap and relieves forearm stress.
The prevailing wisdom claims that you shouldn't lube the cables on the LT. With that in mind, I'd be interested in your experience. How old is your bike? How long ago did you lube the cables (time & milage)? Be interesting to find that the story from the dealers isn't entirely accurate.............

post #11 of 18 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 4:29 pm

Stiff Cables

Just returned from the dealer this A.M. Dealer (Wilkes-Bare, Pa.) told me that the recall on the throttle cable expired in Dec 03, replacement would be on my nickle.

Have others lubricated the cables? graphite? silicone? what is best without gumming them up?

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #12 of 18 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 6:16 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinks
The prevailing wisdom claims that you shouldn't lube the cables on the LT. With that in mind, I'd be interested in your experience. How old is your bike? How long ago did you lube the cables (time & milage)? Be interesting to find that the story from the dealers isn't entirely accurate.............

FWIW, YMMV, and all the other disclaimers.
I used some spray can "stuff" that says it's throttle cable lube for snowmobiles, and general purpose lubricant. (The company that sold it is long defunct. I've had it for probably 25 yrs.) Did the oiling 2 years ago, re-oiled last year,and again last week. Results were good and no problems.

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone
post #13 of 18 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:49 pm

Stiff throttlle action

They say you shouldn't lube the cable, but what good is it if your throttle is too stiff? I was told by the service manager that I should try it anyway. My throttle was so stiff that the twist grip would slide off the end. The throttle is smoother and the cruise works flawlessly. My grip got so worn I had to epoxy it on. I used Slick 50 in the airosol can and the cable luber (found at motorcycle dealers). It's sure beats a stiff throttle.
post #14 of 18 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 4:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksailor
Just returned from the dealer this A.M. Dealer (Wilkes-Bare, Pa.) told me that the recall on the throttle cable expired in Dec 03, replacement would be on my nickle.

Have others lubricated the cables? graphite? silicone? what is best without gumming them up?
If your going to lube the cables I would use some DRY TEFLON spray. You can get it at most auto stores. Some on this site have used it successfully.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #15 of 18 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 5:36 pm

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman
FWIW, YMMV, and all the other disclaimers.
I used some spray can "stuff" that says it's throttle cable lube for snowmobiles, and general purpose lubricant. (The company that sold it is long defunct. I've had it for probably 25 yrs.) Did the oiling 2 years ago, re-oiled last year,and again last week. Results were good and no problems.
Interesting! I guess next tupperware removal I'll have to take a close look at the cables. I've been planing to buy the new version, but should probably take a look at the existing ones first........... Thanks!

post #16 of 18 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 7:18 pm

My dealer blew me off about the brakes. I fixxed that with the EBC pads. I had to insist that the cables be replaced. I showed them how the return springs would not even work. This was when Venture BMW held the keys. Since then, there have been 2 different owners. #1,, Elmo's BMW, (the name says it all) replaced my fogged up windshield. #2, Bogarts BMW, has been good to me so far. They replaced my radio display or whatever (fogged up) and have taken care of any other recalls. Recently the brake inspection.

Jimmy

Edited to correct a couple of spelling issues and also to add more details.

ZB50

2002 Mauve LTC "Dixie"
2005 Unigo "Pixie"
post #17 of 18 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 7:57 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksailor

I had the same issue with my '02 - and had the cables replaced earlier this year under warranty (even though the bike was past the initial 3-year factory).

What saved me was:
  • The dealer fought the issue
  • I had complained (and it was noted in my record) that the throttles were stiff while the bike was still under the 3-year factory
Sooooo.... If you have this issue documented with your dealer AND your dealer is willing to fight - I believe you could probably get these replaced at no cost - YMMV.

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #18 of 18 Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 1:26 pm

Wink throttle cable stiffness

Now that I lube my throttle cable, It snaps back from any position. I feel BMW uses a return spring that is too strong to help compensate for cable drag. I know mine would work with less tension and would reduce forearm fatigue, anybody agree?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in