FD Failures - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 11:25 pm Thread Starter

FD Failures

I just purchased an 01 LT and wish I had found this forum sooner. This FD failures that I've been reading about are scaring the Hec out of me. I don't want to spend more than the Bike cost to get it repaired. I'm retired and thinking I made a mistake buying a BMW. If BMW has this many problems with the FD, I'm surprised they can sell any Bikes.

I don't really know what to do. Is the FD a dealer only repair? Thanks for any thoughts

csboyce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 12:49 am

Smile Re: FD Failures

Do not worry about it, or else you will go crazy. There is only a small % of drives that fail. If it happens then buy the parts, watch the video on here and fix it your self. Keep the fluid changed with quality oil and you will probably have many many miles of enjoyment out of the bike.
post #3 of 13 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 6:26 am

Re: FD Failures

you might notice that some of the answers have a 4 percent symbol in their answer block. That is the current percentages of FD's that fail. Now when you add that up with the mileage most people are getting out of these bikes and that isn't even counting the smileage we are getting. Its not to bad. Might first bike melted a piston because of a bad seal (2 stroke Yamaha in the '60's) and later another 650 Yamaha had a blocked oil passage that caused another piston to burn a hole through it. Then when I think of all I had to do to keep my 63 Austin Healy Sprite running. I think we actually are doing pretty good on these bikes. I know I love taking Miss America out for a ride.

post #4 of 13 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 6:41 am

Some buy an FD unit, package it up, and have it in their garage. If it breaks on the road, they have it sent to them (you'll have to provide access to your garage so your neighbor can mail it).

I'm about to turn 50k; bought it in Feb 2007 with 18k and have not had one problem. I've learned how to change fluids and do so regularly. I would not be concerned with the FD; my concern would be learning how to extend the life of the dry clutch.

Enjoy the ride; practice mu shin.

Curt

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #5 of 13 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 7:16 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

As other have said "Don't worry about it" To have a dealer rebuild it is around $400.00 If you take the drive off yourself. I have a 2000 with 54K & just changed the FD oil. It was as clean as the day I put it in 6K ago. These bikes can & will go over 100K most with ZERO troubles.

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 13 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 7:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diolach
you might notice that some of the answers have a 4 percent symbol in their answer block. That is the current percentages of FD's that fail. ========================================.
Actually, that number was for the earlier years, and somewhat backed up by the BMW rep at the Santa Fe CCR meeting, stating that at that time the warranty repair rate for final drives was approxmately 4%. Likely not all those repairs were for failed drives though. However, the failure rate seems to have dropped off considerably since the 2003 model year, and is probably less than 2% now.

However the original poster bought a 2001, so could be in the 4% range. Still, that just means he has a 96% chance it will never happen.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 13 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 7:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by csboyce
I just purchased an 01 LT and wish I had found this forum sooner. This FD failures that I've been reading about are scaring the Hec out of me. I don't want to spend more than the Bike cost to get it repaired. I'm retired and thinking I made a mistake buying a BMW. If BMW has this many problems with the FD, I'm surprised they can sell any Bikes.

I don't really know what to do. Is the FD a dealer only repair? Thanks for any thoughts

csboyce
Please just ride the bike until you get really used to it, and you will find that the ride is fantastic. Yes, there is a small chance you could have a drive failure, but for the pre-2003 year LTs the failure rate is something under 4% the best we know. If it does fail, replacing the drive is about a 2 hour job. Rebuilding one CAN be done by an owner, if you have the tools and skill. There are postings here about different ways to measure the pre-load on the bearing, which is the critical part.

A dealer can rebuild one, but my guess is that many if most dealer mechanics do not have the skill or knowledge to do it right. I would not trust this to be done correctly at a dealer. I had a final drive failure on my 2001 LT at 85,000 miles, and the dealer stated that he really did not want to try and rebuild it. Said he would now want to warrant a rebuild. That was an honest dealer. Unfortunately, at the time there was not a new drive available in the US, and had to wait a couple weeks to get the bike back after a new drive was shipped from Germany.

Watch eBay and other sources for a used drive if you are too worried, and just keep one on hand. You will have to get one for a pre 2002 model, as they removed the speed sensor on top that year, and you need it.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 13 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 7:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I just purchased an 01 LT and wish I had found this forum sooner. This FD failures that I've been reading about are scaring the Hec out of me.csboyce
I'm confused too. Having read this forum input for a couple of years on FD issues, I feel that there's also a large volume of responses that say, in affect, "just ride it". Isn't that even being considered?
I've had a FD failure and a clutch failure. So what. Man made machines break. I've put more miles on the new parts than were on the old. I'm not even looking back.
Folks that don't objectively read all the info provided are just doing themselves a disservice by being on this forum. I find a lot of great information here on every aspect of the LT. Try to find this kind of resource 20 years ago for any kind of machine.

Just my $0.02,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #9 of 13 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 7:54 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone that replied to my post. I went to bed last night thinking I'm getting rid of this bike tomorrow. But I feel a lot better about the Bike now and I'm just going to ride the heck out of it. I appreciate all the comments.

Thanks

Charlie

Payson Utah

I'm going to live forever or die trying
post #10 of 13 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 10:41 pm

Do not lose sleep on it, ride it and do the maintainence on her. The tupperware is the spookiest most intimdating thing to do without help, I mean LOOK at all the plastic!

but there are manuals out there and members that you might be able to hook up with,, oh and after youve done the tupperware party, its a piece of cake, albeit one that requires time and baggies for the 1,290 screws....

My Rt ate a RD last month, more of a big inconvienence than anything else... "nice bike, why is on the back of the truck? Is that supposed to leak?"

I bought a rebuilt one to replace the one I have...
I will hold my old drive out to see if it can be rebuilt, and with a tech session, I will even attempt it..

THat way I will have a spare....insurance ya know?

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #11 of 13 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 10:46 pm

I have a 2001 with 11,899 miles on it and I'm not giving the final drive a second thought. She breaks? She breaks! Big deal! Should it happen my thought is to buy the parts from BMW and take the FD, the new parts and the rebuild info on this forum to a machine shop. IMHO th3ey should have the skills to do the job right

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #12 of 13 Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 1:16 am
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diolach
you might notice that some of the answers have a 4 percent symbol in their answer block. That is the current percentages of FD's that fail.
Just to clarify, it is not the current percentage of bikes that fail. It is the estimated percentage (from data provided by BMW) of LT FD's that failed from 1999 - 2002, and calculated in August 2002.

Unfortunately, this percentage is probably fairly accurate if you happen to have a 1999 - 2002 LT.

However, the failure rate for 2003 - 2009 LT's is virtually nil.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #13 of 13 Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 12:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Thanks everyone that replied to my post. I went to bed last night thinking I'm getting rid of this bike tomorrow. But I feel a lot better about the Bike now and I'm just going to ride the heck out of it. I appreciate all the comments.

Thanks
Charlie
Payson Utah
I'm going to live forever or die trying
Agree with your final sentiments. We were out your way for CCR 2008 last year and clocked 5,000 miles without missing a beat on our 01. Our longest trip so far and the most fun I've ever had on 2 wheels (or 4 for that matter).

Doug

2001 Pacific Blue LT
1992 750 Nighthawk
1985 VF700S Sabre
1976 CB550F SS
1973 CB350 Four
1972 Yamaha 250
MOA #134470

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in