Where can I find a screwdriver for the radio? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 11:06 pm Thread Starter

Where can I find a screwdriver for the radio?

My radio has died a couple of times and disconnecting the battery has always brought it back to life but this time no joy. The battery is fully charged so I know that isn't it. It's time for plugs and a valve check anyway so I took the radio out to see if I could clean the insides like I have read here in some other threads. I see some rust on two of the screws on the back of the unit that has the push buttons on it so I have a feeling I may find some corrosion inside of it. Now my problem, these screw heads look like little stars. I tried every hex and torx size and even tried to angle in a small flat screw driver but nothing fits. I don't want to strip them out so can someone tell me where I can find that type of screwdriver or tell me how you got them out?

If this doesn't work I am going with the Jensen marine radio. I just hope I can make it look as nice as others have. That seems to be the best option given the number of factory radios that have been replaced. My bike has already had a couple of factory replacements.

Thanks,
Dave in HOT Wylie Texas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 11:26 pm

Re: Where can I find a screwdriver for the radio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyliedave
My radio has died a couple of times and disconnecting the battery has always brought it back to life but this time no joy. The battery is fully charged so I know that isn't it. It's time for plugs and a valve check anyway so I took the radio out to see if I could clean the insides like I have read here in some other threads. I see some rust on two of the screws on the back of the unit that has the push buttons on it so I have a feeling I may find some corrosion inside of it. Now my problem, these screw heads look like little stars. I tried every hex and torx size and even tried to angle in a small flat screw driver but nothing fits. I don't want to strip them out so can someone tell me where I can find that type of screwdriver or tell me how you got them out?

If this doesn't work I am going with the Jensen marine radio. I just hope I can make it look as nice as others have. That seems to be the best option given the number of factory radios that have been replaced. My bike has already had a couple of factory replacements.

Thanks,
Dave in HOT Wylie Texas.
Put some PB Blaster on them, let it soak over night.

Then go to your local Ace Hardware store for a $20.00 set of small "jewelers" screwdriver and torx tips with a head unit. They not be metric but one will fit well enough to twist those little buggers out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 1:17 am

They could possibly be Bristol head screws.

bmwstve
Silver 02 K1200LTE
Black 88 K75

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 8:53 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

They are torx just really small. I bought a set in Tiawan that went all the way down to invisible! I'd give you the size but I am 2,000 miles from my tools right now.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:22 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I am off to harbor freight at lunch for this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94905

Hopefully something in there will fit. I thought I had tried every size torx available but maybe I am missing one. If this works I will post the size for anyone who may need it in the future.

Dave
post #6 of 10 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

It's a Torx T9 if it's the same one I had to go to the Home Depot for when I was half way through a radio dissection.

Motor On ,/'

post #7 of 10 Old Jul 25th, 2009, 11:03 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up on the T9. That was what I needed but it didn't really do me any good in the long run. I found the same corrosion that others have posted pics of but my damage wasn't from the buttons leaking. My display unit was leaking all along the bottom of the plastic cover of the display. After I got it apart and looked at it from the inside I could see that the clear plastic piece was glued at the corners but I could run my finger nail under the entire middle section of it. My radio acted up every time I have ridden in the rain and I should have torn it apart earlier and I may still have a radio. I cleaned all the corrosion off but I still only get the ON button light. You might want to check the display to see if you have the same leak.

Dave
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 6:34 am

Are they tamper screws? Torx bit with a hole drilled in the middle; they have them at Harbor Freight. You'll need them if a Rhine West chip is in you future.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #9 of 10 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 10:38 am

Lightbulb this may work

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyliedave
Thanks for the heads up on the T9. That was what I needed but it didn't really do me any good in the long run. I found the same corrosion that others have posted pics of but my damage wasn't from the buttons leaking. My display unit was leaking all along the bottom of the plastic cover of the display. After I got it apart and looked at it from the inside I could see that the clear plastic piece was glued at the corners but I could run my finger nail under the entire middle section of it. My radio acted up every time I have ridden in the rain and I should have torn it apart earlier and I may still have a radio. I cleaned all the corrosion off but I still only get the ON button light. You might want to check the display to see if you have the same leak.

Dave
after cleaning the inside or excess corrosion & moisture, leave the radio open and using an accurate thermometer preheat your oven (toaster ovens work well) to about 105-110 deg. f. TAG THE OVEN "DO NOT TOUCH!"
leave it in the oven overnight, a LCD display should just turn black. This drives all the moisture out. Turn off oven and let the radio come up to room temp slowly & normally.
You may be surprised to find it now works. Be sure to seal the area that water entered.
We had an electronics co. and I have personally repaired many cell phones, marine radios, etc.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #10 of 10 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 12:00 pm

Dave,
I have a radio that is tempermental about power glitches that happen if the radio is turned on while the bike is started. It has the same symptoms as yours. Others have reported similar symptoms. For some, simply disconnecting the battery for a number of minutes revives the radio, but not for me. In fact, I have had the whole tank cover off and completely disconnected from the bike for hours, and still no joy.

What does work for me, 100% of the time and don't ask me why, is to disconnect the cable to the display/controls. When mine goes south, I have to remove the stingray, take out the radio to get to the back of the display, disconnect the cable, put the stingray back together and the radio works again. It is an unusual connector, it has a lever that locks it down. You have to lift the lever and the connector will unseat. I have cleaned the pins and applied dielectric grease, but if I forget and start the bike with the radio on, I have about a 25% chance of needing to strip her down, just to umate/remate that one connector.

Good luck.

Jeff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in