BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Where can I find a screwdriver for the radio?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  space_coast_lt 
#1 ·
My radio has died a couple of times and disconnecting the battery has always brought it back to life but this time no joy. The battery is fully charged so I know that isn't it. It's time for plugs and a valve check anyway so I took the radio out to see if I could clean the insides like I have read here in some other threads. I see some rust on two of the screws on the back of the unit that has the push buttons on it so I have a feeling I may find some corrosion inside of it. Now my problem, these screw heads look like little stars. I tried every hex and torx size and even tried to angle in a small flat screw driver but nothing fits. I don't want to strip them out so can someone tell me where I can find that type of screwdriver or tell me how you got them out?

If this doesn't work I am going with the Jensen marine radio. I just hope I can make it look as nice as others have. That seems to be the best option given the number of factory radios that have been replaced. My bike has already had a couple of factory replacements.

Thanks,
Dave in HOT Wylie Texas.

#2 ·
wyliedave said:
My radio has died a couple of times and disconnecting the battery has always brought it back to life but this time no joy. The battery is fully charged so I know that isn't it. It's time for plugs and a valve check anyway so I took the radio out to see if I could clean the insides like I have read here in some other threads. I see some rust on two of the screws on the back of the unit that has the push buttons on it so I have a feeling I may find some corrosion inside of it. Now my problem, these screw heads look like little stars. I tried every hex and torx size and even tried to angle in a small flat screw driver but nothing fits. I don't want to strip them out so can someone tell me where I can find that type of screwdriver or tell me how you got them out?

If this doesn't work I am going with the Jensen marine radio. I just hope I can make it look as nice as others have. That seems to be the best option given the number of factory radios that have been replaced. My bike has already had a couple of factory replacements.

Thanks,
Dave in HOT Wylie Texas.
Put some PB Blaster on them, let it soak over night.

Then go to your local Ace Hardware store for a $20.00 set of small "jewelers" screwdriver and torx tips with a head unit. They not be metric but one will fit well enough to twist those little buggers out. ;)

#4 ·
They are torx just really small. I bought a set in Tiawan that went all the way down to invisible! I'd give you the size but I am 2,000 miles from my tools right now.

#7 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the T9. That was what I needed but it didn't really do me any good in the long run. I found the same corrosion that others have posted pics of but my damage wasn't from the buttons leaking. My display unit was leaking all along the bottom of the plastic cover of the display. After I got it apart and looked at it from the inside I could see that the clear plastic piece was glued at the corners but I could run my finger nail under the entire middle section of it. My radio acted up every time I have ridden in the rain and I should have torn it apart earlier and I may still have a radio. I cleaned all the corrosion off but I still only get the ON button light. You might want to check the display to see if you have the same leak.

Dave

#8 ·
Are they tamper screws? Torx bit with a hole drilled in the middle; they have them at Harbor Freight. You'll need them if a Rhine West chip is in you future.

#9 ·
this may work

wyliedave said:
Thanks for the heads up on the T9. That was what I needed but it didn't really do me any good in the long run. I found the same corrosion that others have posted pics of but my damage wasn't from the buttons leaking. My display unit was leaking all along the bottom of the plastic cover of the display. After I got it apart and looked at it from the inside I could see that the clear plastic piece was glued at the corners but I could run my finger nail under the entire middle section of it. My radio acted up every time I have ridden in the rain and I should have torn it apart earlier and I may still have a radio. I cleaned all the corrosion off but I still only get the ON button light. You might want to check the display to see if you have the same leak.

Dave
after cleaning the inside or excess corrosion & moisture, leave the radio open and using an accurate thermometer preheat your oven (toaster ovens work well) to about 105-110 deg. f. TAG THE OVEN "DO NOT TOUCH!"
leave it in the oven overnight, a LCD display should just turn black. This drives all the moisture out. Turn off oven and let the radio come up to room temp slowly & normally.
You may be surprised to find it now works. Be sure to seal the area that water entered.
We had an electronics co. and I have personally repaired many cell phones, marine radios, etc.

#10 ·
Dave,
I have a radio that is tempermental about power glitches that happen if the radio is turned on while the bike is started. It has the same symptoms as yours. Others have reported similar symptoms. For some, simply disconnecting the battery for a number of minutes revives the radio, but not for me. In fact, I have had the whole tank cover off and completely disconnected from the bike for hours, and still no joy.

What does work for me, 100% of the time and don't ask me why, is to disconnect the cable to the display/controls. When mine goes south, I have to remove the stingray, take out the radio to get to the back of the display, disconnect the cable, put the stingray back together and the radio works again. It is an unusual connector, it has a lever that locks it down. You have to lift the lever and the connector will unseat. I have cleaned the pins and applied dielectric grease, but if I forget and start the bike with the radio on, I have about a 25% chance of needing to strip her down, just to umate/remate that one connector.

Good luck.

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.