Awesome day at Rich's Custom Seats! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 3:34 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Awesome day at Rich's Custom Seats!

Rich Conner, owner of Rich's Custom Seats, had a grand opening at his new facility on Saturday. Man, what an event! Rich provided pulled-pork sandwiches, slaw, drinks and some great carrot cake, along with live music and drawings for door prizes and a 50/50 drawing that gave money to a local charity.

Rich's facility is nothing short of incredible. He even built in some "guest quarters" so that riders that come in from long distances can hang out, take a nap or even spend the night. The quarters are set up with a computer with internet access, a TV, a full kitchen and even a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom, (I could have used that after riding the 900 or so miles from Colorado in 20 hours in '05, on my stock seat, to get my custom seat built).

I believe Rich makes the finest seats available. He has ridden a number of Iron Butt Association certified rides, including a 100 CCC, (coast-to-coast-to-coast in under 100 hours). He knows his stufff and, more importantly, really knows how to take care of his customers. Next month I'll be riding my third Iron Butt Rally on my Rich's seat.

If you're ever in the Seattle area you owe it to yourself to take the ferry ride to Kingston and check out his shop.

George Barnes
'06 K1200LT
'01 K1200LT, totaled with 180,000 miles, 10/18/07,

'97, '99, '01, '05, '07 & '09 Iron Butt Rallies, (won the '99)
IBA#146

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 8:33 pm

Re: Awesome day at Rich's Custom Seats!

I gotta agree with you! Rich's Custom Seats are the BEST! Rich takes his craft seriously and does one heck of a great job! Heck, he helped me replace tuperware on my bike while he was waiting on some sewing . Is he still on Aurora? If he has a new shop, I gotta know where it is! Thanks for recognizing a true craftsman.
post #3 of 17 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 8:46 pm

Would you mind posting pictures of your seats done by Rich?

I emailed them and told them they did not have a LT picture on their website and asked if they would post one....the answer I got is.... he has done many LT's. What kind of answer is that? I emailed again...no answer.

I would really like to see one ...and maybe buy one.

Thanks!

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!

post #4 of 17 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 2:01 pm

There must be a secret handshake or decoder ring involved in getting anybody to respond to a inquiry about.......ssshhhhh........rich's seats.

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

post #5 of 17 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 2:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfGuy
There must be a secret handshake or decoder ring involved in getting anybody to respond to a inquiry about.......ssshhhhh........rich's seats.
Ever tried to get an email response from Rick Mayer?

I almost blew him off, but he finally called me, and said that he's just not a "computer guy", and rarely touches the thing...

Maybe I can help!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #6 of 17 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 2:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBarnes
------------------------------------------------------------ Next month I'll be riding my third Iron Butt Rally on my Rich's seat.------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck George! Hope you do great. Of course we also have another member in it we also hope does great, Ken Meese.

We will be pulling for both of you, but you are on an LT!

Would love to see some of the BMW naysayers in the LT community eat a little crow. Maybe you and Ken can do a 1-2 or 2-1finish.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 17 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 12:55 am
Gold Supporter

Smile Re: Awesome day at Rich's Custom Seats!

I had Rich design/install a leather-upholstered, custom seat on my 05 LT in the fall of 05 and have been 100% satisfied with it. It was an all-day experience. After sizing/profiling the new material (foam of different densities, depending on location), he had me go ride it for about an hour, return and provide him with feedback on comfort/fit...I declared the results excellent and they installed the leather upholstery. I spent about an hour returning home while caught in traffic from north Seattle to Kent, WA, where I reside. The difference in comfort was extremely noticeable even during this short period on the LT. Rich's Custom Seats come with my highest recommendations and I know owners of other makes/models who have also shared their satisfaction with me on occasion since I had my seat done.

Terry
post #8 of 17 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 1:21 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerk10
Is he still on Aurora? If he has a new shop, I gotta know where it is! Thanks for recognizing a true craftsman.
No, he moved across the sound to Kingston. I've been to his home, but I was following him and am not too sure, but I think that is where he lives. It is a short ferry ride from Edmonds. The address is: 8264 NE Highway 104, Kingston, WA 98346 and the phone number is 866-328-9774.

George Barnes
'06 K1200LT

IBA#146

post #9 of 17 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 1:24 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfGuy
Would you mind posting pictures of your seats done by Rich?

IThanks!
I'll take some pictures and try posting them when I get my seat back. Rich is repairing some damge my seat sustained when I totaled the LT by hitting a bridge covered with ice back in Colorado.

George Barnes
'06 K1200LT

IBA#146

post #10 of 17 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:09 am
Lifetime Supporter

+2 on Rich's seats. I had a leather seat made for my '07 LT about two years ago. As stated, it is an all-day affair, but the end result was perfect and required no additional adjustment. I went from total pain after 100 miles on the stock seat to total comfort after 1000 miles on Rich's seat. Highly recommend his service, plus you get some great riding in the Pacific Northwest!

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #11 of 17 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 4:16 pm

Rich owns an LT so it has always been amusing to me that an LT picture wasn't on his site. Here is my 2000 K1200LT saddle that was done in leather by Rich. The saddle has around 30k+ miles on it when I took these pictures. And I know the bike was filthy, I had just returned from a 5500 mile trip and hadn't had a chance to wash it yet. The passenger saddle is stock. I only had the rider saddle re-done because my wife can't do long days in the saddle for reasons other than a sore butt. She actually likes the stock pillion saddle.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #12 of 17 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 6:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd98056
Rich owns an LT so it has always been amusing to me that an LT picture wasn't on his site. Here is my 2000 K1200LT saddle that was done in leather by Rich. The saddle has around 30k+ miles on it when I took these pictures. And I know the bike was filthy, I had just returned from a 5500 mile trip and hadn't had a chance to wash it yet. The passenger saddle is stock. I only had the rider saddle re-done because my wife can't do long days in the saddle for reasons other than a sore butt. She actually likes the stock pillion saddle.
Hey Jim,
I just moved to the 'hood; I'm up the road in Issaquah. We'll have to get together for a ride some time.

George Barnes
'06 K1200LT

IBA#146

post #13 of 17 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 7:45 pm

It's very interesting that Rich makes his seat comfortable without adding the "wings" (if that's what they are called) that most other seat makers do. The purpose of the wings is to support the outside of the buttocks and thighs, as I understand it.

Rich's seat looks stock, yet his customers report they do the job. I'm curious why he doesn't need to add wings. Maybe it's just a little wider - enough to provide the support on the outboard edges?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #14 of 17 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 8:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd98056

Jim....Thank You for posting the pictures!

I wanted to know if the seat had wings....it doesn't! Yeah!

I find it really screws up the natural lines of the bike to see the wings out there. IMHO.

Thanks!

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

post #15 of 17 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 8:32 pm
SEG

I had Rich build rider/passenger sections for my '09 LT earlier this year. I'm very satisfied with the results. I've had 3 Russell Day-Long saddles on other bikes over the years. I wanted to try something different this time around. The Russell Day-Long saddles are fantastic but I don't like that you have to put on the rain cover in the rain; the stitching makes it leak like a sieve. Also, as pointed out in an earlier posting, the Day-Long's use the wing system and will raise the rider up a bit, this is something I can't afford since I have a 29" inseam and I have to preserve whatever I can get on the ground, usually just the front part of the toe. I'd say that Rich's seats are pretty close to the Day-Long in terms of comfort; I had the advantage of doing ride-ins for the Day-Long's and that was not an option this time around for Rich's seat. If I pass by the NW next year, I may have Rich's shop tweak the seat a bit. I had the same problem others had trying to get an email response from Rich's shop, I had better luck with a phone call. I've put over 21K this year on Rich's seat and it has handled 1000 plus days very well.
Scott

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
post #16 of 17 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 9:29 pm

Hi George, welcome to the green and wet Pacific NW. Not quite the seasonal variations you likely had in Colorado but IMHO it is no less God's country. I don't put in even a significant fraction of the miles that you normally do but I'd love to share a little road with you at some point.

I'm afraid my job and at times my health doesn't let me get out any where near as much as I would like . I'm not complaining it's just the way it is. I also have multiple motorcycling interests which means I am splitting my riding time between touring, dual sporting and I even ride in pirate garb from time to time . Maybe I have a MMPD (multiple motorcycle personality disorder) , but enough about me.

So are you settling here long term?

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)

post #17 of 17 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 10:54 pm

I think there are several aspects to designing comfortable saddles and there is always the fact that no two butts are alike. I think relieving pressure points and distributing weight over a larger area are inter-related and can be accomplished in a number of different ways. The wide wings on Russel and Mayer saddles work well for many but some folks either don't like the look or have problems with a new pressure point created by the wings either on the side of the butt or under the leg. I'm sure that with the proper adjustments to the wing shape or other saddle features that the pressure point issue can be resolved but many can't or won't spend the time or possibly expense (usually shipping) in getting multiple saddle adjustments.

Rich does add width to the saddle but only on the areas that the butt actually contacts the saddle and so there is minimal or no contact with the leg. My saddles do form a "butt cup" but just not high up the sides. That butt cup is tailored to "my" butt in my best ergonomic position. He also uses a variety of foam densities to provide firmer or softer support in different areas of the saddle. His standard saddle design also uses a gel pad in the central area of the saddle to provide an elastic form fit for the tail bone area. Some folks don't want a gel pad and he will leave it out if that is what the person wants. Rich's designs tend towards the firm side rather than soft, except in the tailbone area. His personal experiences and feedback from customers over the years has convinced him that firm is better for long distance comfort. My saddles have been a big improvement but with my back issues I will never have day long comfort unless an anti-gravity generator is installed . Rich will build whatever the customer wants so if someone wanted wings or a softer foam he would build them, but if he thought the fit and comfort of the saddle would suffer he will certainly try and talk them out of any modification to his preferred design.

Not that this isn't a consideration for other well respected custom saddle makers but the other big thing with Rich is ergonomics. His goal is to get your riding position into as ergonomic a configuration as possible. If he needs to move the rider back, forward, up, down or change the angle of the hips that is what he will try to do. He will even modify the seat pan or fabricate a new one in extreme cases. Custom seat pans will of course come at additional cost. Getting the ergonomics right is difficult to do the first time around unless you do a ride in fitting. Pictures and physical descriptions can only get you so far. This is of course true for any custom saddle maker.

I have chronic lower back problems and my two BMWs with Rich's saddles are the most comfortable long distance conveyances in my household of three motorcycles and two cages. I personally wouldn't consider another saddle maker unless I could do a ride in fitting. I don't have a good reason to even try. If it ain't broke don't fix it . But with three top rated saddle makers spread along the West Coast I do have options .

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)

Last edited by jwd98056; Jul 22nd, 2009 at 10:59 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in