Winter Riding - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 7:56 pm Thread Starter

Winter Riding

I know you guys are going to laugh at me, but here goes anyway. Does anyone ride durring the winter in the northern states with the k12? And if so what do you do different with the bike other than just wearing heated gear? I was thinking of using my bike for year around transportation, and I live in Wisconsin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 8:06 pm

Re: Winter Riding

Put on your snow tires and cover the radiator with cardboard.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #3 of 13 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 8:09 pm

I must admit, this is a rather untimely question considering that it's July. Anyway, yes, I ride year round...just outside of Chicago. I don't ride when there's ice however, or threat of snow. I don't wear heated gear either.....just my Olympia AST jacket and Olympia Ranger pants...and I wear the liners for both when the temps are below 35 or so. If it's really cold, I might don a balaclava under my full faced helmet to keep drafts off my neck. I fire up that heated seat and heat grips, and I'm usually just fine...down to about 19 degrees F (the coldest I've ridden in). My commute is only 50 minutes. If I were to ride longer than that, I might consider heated gear, but I've not had a problem.

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.

post #4 of 13 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 8:15 pm

I ride as long as I can in the winter. The only thing that stops me is ice and snow on the roads.
Unfortunately I live on a dirt road, so there is usually ice and snow on the road for two to three months in the middle of winter.

As far as temps, I have ridden down into the teens. I did pick up a heated jacket liner this year, and it made a HUGE difference.

I don't do anything different with the bike itself, except maybe for having the windshield all the way up when the temps dip below 30.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 9:07 pm

I do, except when it snows, ice, etc.
The LT does a great job of keeping that brutal cold air away from you. But I find without heated gear, after an hour or so it gets cold and uncomfortable.

I have the BMW heated vest I bought off ebay for under $100 and it's a life saver.

02 LT
post #6 of 13 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 9:37 pm

I lived in Pittsburgh up till 3 years ago and commuted an hour each way every day that I could. The only thing that kept me off the roads was fresh snow and ice. Loved the LT and the only other thing I used was a Gerbing Jacket liner and gloves as well as a pair of hunters waterproof (goretex lined) thinsulate boots. I liked the gerbing jacket liner better than the vest as it kept my arms warm and the gloves kept the back of my hands from freezing. I tried the electric pants liners but there are to many spots that have no heating elements and went back to my thinsulate pants liners that came with my riding suit (Motoport). Most of the time the day after a snow if its not going to snow again the roads would be clear and I have many a mental picture of a lovely crisp ride. The baclavia is a good idea too as you lose quite a bit of heat out of the back of the neck. Just remember to pull it down before you go into any stores as otherwise people will be nervous.
post #7 of 13 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 9:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracksideoils
I know you guys are going to laugh at me, but here goes anyway. Does anyone ride durring the winter in the northern states with the k12? And if so what do you do different with the bike other than just wearing heated gear? I was thinking of using my bike for year around transportation, and I live in Wisconsin!
You're absolutely RIGHT!

Get a snowmobile, cheesehead!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 13 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 11:31 pm

I ride year round except in the snow and ice. I prefer to wear silk long johns and silk glove liners over thinsulate. Warmer, thinner, and ever so silky soft! The glove liners are about $10 and make a huge difference. And they are ever so silky soft!

Try 'em you'll like'em!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #9 of 13 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 10:24 am

As long as there is no snow or ice on the roads I ride all year when I can. I have even been through a couple 6" snow drifts across the road. Just keep going and do not turn or brake.

Garry

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #10 of 13 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 3:48 pm

I would suggest a meyers snow plow. In the Pacific Northwest I get out maybe three times during the winter if the ice melts enough. The LT does not do well in two to three foot of snow.

I think the LT likes a battery tender and a blanket during winter.

Al
Spokane
WA
post #11 of 13 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 3:53 pm Thread Starter

What about for those people who like to ride on snow, and ice. People like me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14306188_FEBZq-S.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	23815  
post #12 of 13 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 5:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracksideoils
What about for those people who like to ride on snow, and ice. People like me.
You can talk to the Discovery Channel people about a new series. ICE ROAD BIKERS.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #13 of 13 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 11:24 pm

Spokanelt, where you live a snow plow might be in order! I get to Spokane 2-3 times per year but NEVER before June!

Trackside, noticed on the picture that you must have had your LT on a starvation diet! I think I like the one track two ski snowmobile option the best!

Ride on, ride warm, ride safe!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in