Installing BMR Co-Pilot Shelf - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 7:44 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Installing BMR Co-Pilot Shelf

Well after seeing one I wanted it. But I kept saying man that is a bunch of money.

While on vacation I ran out of gas. I can give a bunch of excuses, but no excuse for it.

But I made up my mind I wanted to see my instruments again, and move the 2820 off the factory mount.

Needed to strip the right side to chase wires.

Ohhh my God what am I doing?

Well this worked out clean.

Man those mounting holes look huge......

Hmmm, getting somewhere now.

Power for the Mix It Amp for Blue Tooth and the Audio from the Garmin for XM

I am very Pleased with this look from the side.

What Others see, I can live with it.

What I see, OH my it is so sweet.

While waiting for my BMW emblems a 3" Spot mirror to cover the uglies.

This is all that and a bag of chips, with salsa too!.

Couple things.

One the shelf rests on the upper wing-lets, and stabilizes them, a nice thing as my Saeng Spot Mirrors hang off there and the are now very solid.

My bike is very quiet now. Not sure the support on the factory mount is very good for hanging a 2820 off of that sting ray end, it is pretty flimsy. And I also think the shelf is stopping the wings from flapping around.

I LOVE seeing my dash again!!!!!!!

It does shade the Dash from sun.

I had the factory wires shoved up in the OEM factory mount and they were chafed through in an area. I no longer needed it so I cut it off.

This is a super product and puts the GPS in your sight line and allows you to see your dash again. It is VERY solid when mounted and the mounted equipment does not move.

The Sun shade on the GPS is theirs and I have had it for some time. I also use the black moldings on the rear bags. Now the Co-Pilot Shelf with right short arm, and tilting mounting bracket.

Now just have to decide what radar detector I want.

Awesome Products!

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

Last edited by LAF; Jul 19th, 2009 at 8:03 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 8:34 pm

Re: Installing BMR Co-Pilot Shelf

I bought my LT used and it had the co-pilot shelf on it. Inside the nose I found a bundle of cables, one of them is the same as the one you have coming from the dash light. What is that for? There was also a cable with a phone type connector on it.

2000 K1200LT - 94,000 mi. (49,000 mine since July 4th weekend, 2009)
BMW MOA 151654
post #3 of 15 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 9:52 am Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoolbaugh
I bought my LT used and it had the co-pilot shelf on it. Inside the nose I found a bundle of cables, one of them is the same as the one you have coming from the dash light. What is that for? There was also a cable with a phone type connector on it.
Well the Half moon type is for my Garmin 2820 Power, and the 1/8" plug is for the audio from it's XM to get it to my AUX on my com system.

Without seeing them it is a bit hard to tell but if they are identical to mine I would say you are prewired for a Garmin.

The phone type connection could be just that, or for another electronic device. Radar Detector?

Hope this helps.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959

post #4 of 15 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 4:03 pm

Lee,
Great job and great pictures! I'm curious; if you run a stereo cable from the 2820 to the Aux-in on the comm system, do the verbal instructions from the Garmin go to both headset speakers or just one?

Also, what did you use the Mix-It for?

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
Well after seeing one I wanted it. But I kept saying man that is a bunch of money.

While on vacation I ran out of gas. I can give a bunch of excuses, but no excuse for it.

But I made up my mind I wanted to see my instruments again, and move the 2820 off the factory mount.

Needed to strip the right side to chase wires.

Ohhh my God what am I doing?

Well this worked out clean.

Man those mounting holes look huge......

Hmmm, getting somewhere now.

Power for the Mix It Amp for Blue Tooth and the Audio from the Garmin for XM

I am very Pleased with this look from the side.

What Others see, I can live with it.

What I see, OH my it is so sweet.

While waiting for my BMW emblems a 3" Spot mirror to cover the uglies.

This is all that and a bag of chips, with salsa too!.

Couple things.

One the shelf rests on the upper wing-lets, and stabilizes them, a nice thing as my Saeng Spot Mirrors hang off there and the are now very solid.

My bike is very quiet now. Not sure the support on the factory mount is very good for hanging a 2820 off of that sting ray end, it is pretty flimsy. And I also think the shelf is stopping the wings from flapping around.

I LOVE seeing my dash again!!!!!!!

It does shade the Dash from sun.

I had the factory wires shoved up in the OEM factory mount and they were chafed through in an area. I no longer needed it so I cut it off.

This is a super product and puts the GPS in your sight line and allows you to see your dash again. It is VERY solid when mounted and the mounted equipment does not move.

The Sun shade on the GPS is theirs and I have had it for some time. I also use the black moldings on the rear bags. Now the Co-Pilot Shelf with right short arm, and tilting mounting bracket.

Now just have to decide what radar detector I want.

Awesome Products!

George Barnes
'06 K1200LT
'01 K1200LT, totaled with 180,000 miles, 10/18/07,

'97, '99, '01, '05, '07 & '09 Iron Butt Rallies, (won the '99)
IBA#146

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 7:36 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBarnes
Lee,
Great job and great pictures! I'm curious; if you run a stereo cable from the 2820 to the Aux-in on the comm system, do the verbal instructions from the Garmin go to both headset speakers or just one?

Also, what did you use the Mix-It for?

Thanks,
I really cant answer the both headsets question. I really don't use voice prompts much and have it turned off on the Garmin. I also wear a short helmet in the heat of Summer. I would assume yes though. It comes through the external speakers so it should come through the headsets.

I use a Mix It amp for Winter/Distance helmets that are blue tooth. The Mix it boosts that signal and allows me to use my I-pod and the XM as music sources to my blue tooth.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #6 of 15 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 7:41 am
cws

Garage

Hi Lee... nice job.
The holes look scary large, dont they!

If I may, a suggestion for tidying up the screw thread & nuts visible from the windscreen side...
I put 4 x black plastic tyre caps on with a little glue, makes it less visible as to how the unit can be undone, and just looks a little more "finished"...
pic 1, pic 2

cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 15 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 9:10 am Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Hi Lee... nice job.

If I may, a suggestion for tidying up the screw thread & nuts visible from the windscreen side...
I put 4 x black plastic tyre caps on with a little glue, makes it less visible as to how the unit can be undone, and just looks a little more "finished"...
pic 1, pic 2

cheers
What a great tip! Thank you so much and I am on it.

Great way to finish it!

Thank you again!!!!!!!!

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #8 of 15 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 12:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Hi Lee... nice job.

pic 1, pic 2

cheers
That is a great idea. I don't have this setup (although I wish I did) but I can apply this idea on some other projects. Thanks!

Custom sig temporarily unavaiulable while I think about it.
post #9 of 15 Old Aug 8th, 2009, 9:10 am Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Just to close this thread I installed the Stick on BMW emblem from Bob's

Odd color from the flash but it is blue...........

I am very pleased with the coving of the OEM mounting holes/Prep for NAV.

Very happy with the BMR product and would recommend it to all.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #10 of 15 Old Aug 8th, 2009, 9:23 am

Nice review I had mine installed at the Last CCR in Utah.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #11 of 15 Old Aug 8th, 2009, 10:35 pm

I ordered a Co-Pilot shelf and Tilting Mount from BMR and a Garmin Motorcycle Mount from ritzcamera.com. Ritzcamera.com had good pricing and low shipping. The install was as easy as Lee's pictures show. Maybe took me a little more time. I usually move slowly, so I don't mess things up. Still happens sometimes.

I originally installed my 2820 using the temporary adhesive ring and the slide-in mount on the stingray, over the BMW emblem. It worked fine there, but I knew I'd get a shelf eventually.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #12 of 15 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 12:02 pm

Not too distract from this thread, @ 5 years ago before BMR came out with the Co-Pilot version I had used the idea of the original and came up with a hybrid of it.
Opted for a horseshoe shape and lower mounting position of the GPS, side wings hold the other farkels such as Radar, Altimeter, Smartire & Camera mount.

* Just sharing other ideas

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camera mount.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	24041   Click image for larger version

Name:	LT console shots #2 004.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	24042   Click image for larger version

Name:	LT console shots #2 001.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	24043   Click image for larger version

Name:	LT console shots #2 002.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	24044  

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #13 of 15 Old Dec 19th, 2010, 11:28 am

Garage

My RAM mount mounted on my Radio Controller gave way and fell out. I'm considering adding a BMR Shelf.

LAF, can you please repost your pics to see how you did it?

Thanks,

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #14 of 15 Old Dec 20th, 2010, 12:22 am

Rob,
I consulted this thread when getting ready to install my BMR shelf on my new to me LT. The pictures were gone, so I searched the web for BMR shelf. Once on BMR's website, I found this --> http://www.bmrproducts.com/myproduct...LTInstruct.pdf their installation instructions. Not nearly as nice as the ones Lee (LAF) posted, but functional enough for me to follow along. My install went well. The shelf is easy to install. Those BIG 7/16" holes are hard to drill. Not any problem getting through the plastic. Hard making myself make those big holes in the cowling! Put it in place, wiggle it, hold it tight, wjggle it some more, check that it's in the center of the cowling, press down, mark with a Sharpie, set the shelf aside, and bore some big holes. Once that's done, the rest is a piece of cake.

I didn't take pics of the install, or I'd be happy to post them here.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #15 of 15 Old Dec 20th, 2010, 8:20 am

When I installed mine I used masking tape for marking and drilling the plastic the single best piece of advice that I can give is Take your Time.

You get one shot at getting it right its not at all that complicated but you are forever altering the bike it looks great when done correctly.

When you remove the wind shield make sure you don't lose any of the four fiber washer's if you do go get some rubber washers from a hardware store to replace them.

The bolt's holding the windshield down will have loc-tight on them make sure you clean then and reapply the loc-tight remember a small amount goes along way.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in