R&R rear shock - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 4:51 pm Thread Starter

R&R rear shock

I have an 03 LT and am looking to replace the rear shock.
Any recomendations?
Progressive rate spring?
I have a 30" inseam, can I get a shock to lower?
How much can I expect to pay for shock and instalation?
Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 6:46 pm

Re: R&R rear shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by davek1
I have an 03 LT and am looking to replace the rear shock.
Any recomendations?
Progressive rate spring?
I have a 30" inseam, can I get a shock to lower?
How much can I expect to pay for shock and instalation?
Any other suggestions?
I can only speak to Work Performance shocks. They do offer a "short" front and rear shock; be aware of the side stand length, though. I also received a discount for being an MSF Rider Coach; I'm sure others would offer the same. Here's the WP application guide: Click here

Cost for Ohlins, Wilbers, Works Performance are probably all in the same $900-or-so price range; Ohlins does have a supporting vendor on this website and I believe it to be Kyle Racing. Here's the thread from katnapinn and there is a link to Kyle Racing katnapinn thread . Installation is free if you have a lift to hold the rear of the bike up and can devote a few hours to doing the job; it's not hard. You may also find someone having a Tech Session in your area.

Aftermarket shocks are rebuildable; the quote I received from WP was $200 for both front and rear.

The difference in the sac'd-out OEMs and the new shocks is, well, no comparison.

Best of luck,
Curt

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 8:14 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I'll agree with Curt on "the difference being Night & Day" between OEM & aftermarket shocks. If you are only doing the rear (I don't recommend by the way, do both) It is only about an hour or 2 job & very easy to do. I did both in less them 4 hours. Now I've have my LT apart many time & I'm a fair wrench so that helped.
BTW I went with Ohlins & love them. It's like a new, different bike.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 10:02 pm

I just replaced the shocks on my 03, I purchased HyperPro shocks from Annitori Distributing (There in the Chicago Area). I liked the HyperPro shocks because I could reuse the original Pre-Load Adjuster from the old rear shock on the new HyperPro. This saved me $300 dollars. These shocks are also re-buildable. You can get different heights also from HyperPro. I went with the Progressive springs no difference in cost. The rear shock cost me $649.95 (Note I reused the original pre-load adjuster add $300 for a new one) and $589.95 for the front. I went with a basic shock setup no high, low speed rebound adjust.
Can't tell you how much it would cost to install, My friend Roy and I installed the shocks on a Saturday. Give Steve Larson a call at Annitori, real nice guy and knows a lot about shocks - 888-963-1212. [email protected]
I've got about a thousand miles on the new shocks and it's like night and day, should have done the replacement sooner.

Will Hedgspeth
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 8:19 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkswan
The rear shock cost me $649.95 (Note I reused the original pre-load adjuster add $300 for a new one) and $589.95 for the front.

Will Hedgspeth
Will.... did you look at Ohlins ? The reason I ask is mine cost $1298.00 shipped to my door. That included the Ohlins preload adjuster. That's only about $70.00 more then yours cost. Dan Kyle set then up to fit my riding style. Now i only have about 300 miles on them but love them.

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 12:19 pm

Replacing the rear shock is a 15 minute job - no need to do it the "book" way. Can be done on the center stand.

Pretty straight forward really - and it involves hand balls or tennis balls. I just happen to play tennis so I had a half a dozen balls in my gym bag.

You'll need a warm day to do this since you'll be bending the tupperware out of the way - cold temps will greatly increase the possibility of snapping it. This can get really expensive fast so beware....

Pull the screws from the rear of the right side fairing along the vertical and horizontal sections. No need to take it off. This will give you access to the top shock bolt. One by one, start stuffing balls in between the frame and the tupper ware going further toward the front - gradually pulling and bowing it out as you go. After you've got several in place the plastic will be bent far enough away from the frame so that you can get your hand in there with a ratchet with a small extension on the bolt head - and most importantly enough room so you can pull it straight out. You'll of course need to remove the battery on the other side to get access to the nut. It's been a while since I've done this and seem to remember needing two ratchets and extensions. Pop off the lower bolt and you're done. Although you'll have a hard time getting a torque wrench in there this way it's really not that critical - just snug it up really tight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 31st, 2009, 8:45 pm

I have just spent hours reading a mojority of the threads regarding Ohlins, HyperPro, and WIlvers.

I can find several posts regarding Ohlins that say a rebuild is required between 15K-25K miles.

I have not found similar info for Wilbers or Hyper Pro.

They all appear to be rebuildable.

The shock adjuster costs extra,

Wilbers offer progressive rate springs,

Does anybody else have any comparison info?

It looks like my clutch is slipping, so shock replacement makes sense at the same time.

I just want to make a more informed decision before jumping into a single brand name option.

Thanks all.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 31st, 2009, 9:54 pm

WOW! Two shock threads in one night! It must be about that time for a bunch of folks
I made a note in the other thread, but I may as well add it here too, that I'll be listing a bunch of stuff in the next day or so (putting the list together tonight actually) and among the stuff I'm going to list will be a set of Hyperpros with about 5500 miles or so on them. As stated, the character of the bike went from soft and springy to taught and controlled in about 3 or 4 hours... wish I would have done them the day I bought the bike!

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in