Rear Pads @ 13K? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 1:08 pm Thread Starter

Rear Pads @ 13K?

I know there are many threads on brakes. But I have 13.5K on my 2005 LT and the rear pads look about 80% worn. I bought the bike last year with about 6K on it. Is this unusual wear?

Also I recently did the 12K service with all Beemer Bone Yard parts and couldn't be more pleased with the service or parts. I am considering the Carbone Lorraine Brake Pads they sell. Does anyone out there have any opinions on these pads or any better suggestions?

http://beemerboneyard.com/cl2987rx3.html

Thank's in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 1:12 pm

Re: Rear Pads @ 13K?

When stopping or slowing, do you use both brakes or only the rear?

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #3 of 13 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 1:13 pm

Was your last bike a Harley?

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?

post #4 of 13 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 1:34 pm Thread Starter

Boy you guys are mind readers! Last bike was a Harley and yes I do rely on the rear brake more for slowing.
post #5 of 13 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 1:41 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygret
Boy you guys are mind readers! Last bike was a Harley and yes I do rely on the rear brake more for slowing.
You just answered your own question. There are a few brake pads threads floating around & it all boils down to YOUR braking habits. There is NO real answer, some last longer then others. Best bet it to just check them at every oil change or 6000 miles.
I use Premium BMW pads, some use EBC and so on.

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 13 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 1:45 pm

I'm sure there are many threads about using both brakes, and I believe your model has "linked" brakes. If you apply the front or rear only, it applies a portion of pressure to the opposite brake that was not squeeze/pressed.

70% of braking power is on the front brake; weight transfer during the decel results in the front brake having more traction and less weight/traction on the rear tire. Some folks here predominately use front brake; given the wheelbase of the LT, a stoppie is practically impossible.

This may explain why your rear brake is 80% used up: you are only using the rear brake and getting only "some" front brake stopping power as a result of the linked brake system.

Practice using both brakes during stopping or slowing. Of course, then, your front brakes will wear more but then, you have twin discs up front.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #7 of 13 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 12:26 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You guys with the OLD bikes have to remember - from 2001 and up you can not use just rear or just front. The brakes are integral you get the same brake force to both wheels if you jam the pedal or squeeze the hand grip. There is no difference except under very light application of the control inputs. I agree one should maintain the habit of using both for when you ride a bike other than the LT. But on the LT (2001+) it makes no difference.

Now I made it to 30K before I replaced the rears on my 05. They started wearing when I began dragging a little rear brake as I down shifted to the red lights. I realised by down shifting to slow I was not illuminating the stop lamps!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 Old Sep 25th, 2009, 10:58 am

Garage

I just replaced my rears at 43,080 miles. There was just a little bit of pad on them but I felt I was applying more force on the brake lever when I needed to stop.

When I checked fronts they looked good as new! I last changed them at 24K.

Even though they're integrated on my '03, I use the rear brake exclusively in parking lots and other slow moving situations. That's why I think I wore the rear down so much.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #9 of 13 Old Sep 25th, 2009, 11:01 am

Carbone Lorraine Brake Pads, Yes I use them from Beemer Bone Yard. They work just fine, two up on the LT.

Oh BTW, use the Double HH ones.......

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #10 of 13 Old Sep 25th, 2009, 11:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
Carbone Lorraine Brake Pads, Yes I use them from Beemer Bone Yard. They work just fine, two up on the LT.

Oh BTW, use the Double HH ones.......
My first set of Carbone Lorraine pads were marked *Sport*, and they squealed somethang awful. Dealer called supplier and supplier recommended swapping to the *Touring* version. Since then, a VERY slight squeal now and then, and a good stoppie takes care of that!!

Edit: I just found my invoice for the Carbone brake pads, and see that I used the wrong terms in describing the pads for the swap. Correct words are in red now.

Last edited by Dick; Sep 25th, 2009 at 2:25 pm.
post #11 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2009, 2:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
You guys with the OLD bikes have to remember - from 2001 and up you can not use just rear or just front. The brakes are integral you get the same brake force to both wheels if you jam the pedal or squeeze the hand grip. There is no difference except under very light application of the control inputs. I agree one should maintain the habit of using both for when you ride a bike other than the LT. But on the LT (2001+) it makes no difference.

Now I made it to 30K before I replaced the rears on my 05. They started wearing when I began dragging a little rear brake as I down shifted to the red lights. I realised by down shifting to slow I was not illuminating the stop lamps!
I have a 2001 and can apply either front, rear or both. I can also trail brake in very sharp turns. I think you mean 2002 and older.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #12 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2009, 8:08 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Depends on the build date. The 2001 model year is when they went to integral brakes so it is about half and half as I have seen both. I believe anything built after 03/2001 is integral.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #13 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2009, 9:46 pm Thread Starter

I replaced them last week and measured a little less than 2mm lining left. Everything looks good now and no squeal at all. Only took about 15 minutes and like a lot of things I am finding out that for the most part servicing this bike is easier than it looks. I probably had another 2K but brakes aren't something I want to take to the limit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in