IMC Headsets - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 18th, 2009, 2:02 pm Thread Starter

IMC Headsets

I just bought 2 new nolan helmets for the wife and I. I have to admit that I bike on a budget, but after years of cheap and poor fitting helmets, I realized that we needed good comfortable helmets to make our motorcycling experience more enjoyable. I did however maintain my budget conciousness by purchasing the IMC headsets from Sierra electronics. After installing the headsets the night before our day trip to Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic national Park, my inital tests that evening indicated that the microphones, or should I say the intercom portion did not seem to work, although the headphones worked just fine with the radio/CD player. The next morning I informed the wife that the intercom was not going to work for our trip, but we would have stereo, and could go back to yelling to each other... However, once we got going on our trip, my wife was talking loudly to me, and the stereo shut off, and I could hear her through the headset. We subsequently discovered that with the intercom volume turned all the way up, and the sensitivity turned to most sensitive setting, by vocalizing a loud sound, it would be enough to activate the vox on the intercom, allowing us to have a conversation. It normally went something like this.."WOOO! honey we need to find....WOOO!..a bathroom"
and so on. I told my wife during one of our stops that it is going to be weird around our friends that we always begin a conversation with "WOOO!" Technically speaking the speakers may not have the fidality of more expensive (like wwwaay more expensive) headsets, but after riding for several years on our 2002 GW, with inexpensive J&M headsets, these speakers are light years ahead in clairity (or could be the stereo is better on the BMW). We really enjoyed the 6 CD changer, and even though our WOOOer was getting a little worn out by the end of the trip, (given some others experiences with the IMC headset on this forum), It did work, and we did discover that if while having a conversation you occasionally yell out a word, it kept the intercom from switching off in the middle. I suppose that this is neither praise or an indictment of the IMC unit, but just to say that if it is a budget thing for you, I suppose it can work, I do wish it worked just a little bit better. I have not yet contacted Sierra about the microphone but do plan on giving them a call Monday, and will post what that conversation reveals.
Just to interject on one of the recent posts about the LT's burlyness at low speed, like I said, I just got off of a GL1800, and I have had no issues with the weight or low speed handling at all......but! I did discover that the side stand on the goldwing did not make me cringe every time I set the bike on it.....yup mark 1 for the parkinglot side stand roll with bike napping with my LT
Rich C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 2:07 pm Thread Starter

Re: IMC Headsets

Contacted Sierra electronics this morning, and the guy I talked to said, thats just the way it is....WHAT? I don't get it...if they are selling a product for an OEM application and it doesn't work, then why are they selling it? They should at least tell you before you buy it that it won't work for the application that they claim it is for.....Weird marketing approach if you ask me. Well so much for dealing with Sierra electronics....I won't again.
Rich C
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 5:41 pm

So you are saying that you were able to get the microphone to work some times?

I have the IMC but have not been able to hear my passenger although, like you, we can both hear the radio and GPS.

When I posted a thread on the isuue, there seemed to be a concenses that the mic is not operable, only the J$(not &)M equip would work. Am I missing something here?

Mugz

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 5:56 pm Thread Starter

Mugszy...
I didn't think the microphones worked at all until we were starting our trip and my wife was speaking loudly, and the radio cut off, and I could hear her in my headset. I had the intercom volume set all the way up, and the sensitivity to max ( on my comm unit it is fully clockwise for both) then by making a loud sound into the microphone, we used a loud WOOO! to trip the vox, and then it would stay on for a minute, and we could converse. I developed a method for speaking into the microphone where I would loudly say and occasional word during the conversation, and that would usually keep the vox tripped. It was'nt ideal, but it did allow us to use the comm. The guy at Sierra said the microphone was too high an impedence (too much resistance) for the vox on the LT comm system, I am brainstorming a way to either try a different mic, or cheaply amplify the one that comes with the IMC headsets. If I come up with anything, I will post it on the forum.
Good luck
Rich C. 2000 LT with the BMW J&M comm system
post #5 of 10 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 6:17 pm

Whoo Wooo

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #6 of 10 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 6:39 pm

I too have just tried the IMC headsets, but Like Mugszy I was unable to get the intercom to work even with Whooo :-). But I had contacted the company (Head to Head in Sask) & as I'm heading there this weekend I offered to drop by for him to take a look. He also wanted to know what other BMW's had communication systems sold as options? I tried searching but couldn't find anything otherthan 3rd party comm systems.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 10 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 7:15 am

So this is just a bad misconception from IMC that advertises/sells products that are otherwise supposed to work with the BMW/J$M communication system. You would think that IMC would have product tested items prior to spending bigger bucks to buy them back in failure. If it is a different set of adjustments or high pitch sounds that get the mic to come to life, you would think IMC would let us in on the "secret".

Some guys have posted that IMC have replaced their units with J&M and appropriate discounts. I can't seem to find my Quebec IMC dealer so I will have to wait until the next Motorcycle Show in hopes of speaking with the guys at the booth.

Mugz

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 7:55 am
cws

Garage

Hi guys.
Don't know anything about the IMC brand, but it sounds like "you get what you pay for" if they are lower cost and not working too great.
I made the mistake a few years back when riding 2 up for the first time with my new partner trying a cheap "comms set"... took it back within 24 hrs... piece of trash.
Bought the lowest cost mono version of the Autocom, and what a difference it made to our rides. Clear speech, music... and a sense of a "riding partnership" with my pillion.
I only updated to a more expensive Autocom last year (now have stereo music) and it is just as brilliant.

Unless you're going solo... dont skimp on this cost if you can help it... its so much better when you just have a normal conversation without head-taps or yelling...

2c for what its worth ( I think our $ just went up, maybe its about 1.5 us cents...) :-)

oh, hope you had fun getting the girl up after the sidestand nap too... (btdt)

cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #9 of 10 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 10:10 am

Wow that's a bummer the setup I have is a Starcom1 Digital I've routed all the music through the AUX port on LT system (gives independent Volume control) and then tied into the rear speakers and passed that into the Aux port on the Starcom unit the end result is that we can listen to the music while at the same time as talking and the VOX doesn't cut it in or out.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #10 of 10 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 10:40 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Hi guys.
Don't know anything about the IMC brand, but it sounds like "you get what you pay for" if they are lower cost and not working too great.
I understand what you are saying, but I didn't get what I paid for....If the manufacturer and retailer says a product will work in a certain application, then one would think that that would be the case....maybe not in the old snake oil days, but in todays world where integrity is essential to an established business to maintain a good customer base. The joke on me is that when I contacted Sierra electronics about the issue, the guy I talked to told me they knew about the problem, but that was just the way it was....no offer for return, no sell up to J&M, nada. Just "Too Bad"...their customer base just shrunk by one. By the way my $70 dollars means just as much to me as your $300 dollars or what ever you may have spent on your gear....Some of us have to bike on a budget!

As far as the operation of the IMC headsets on my comm system, I am getting the impression that some systems do not have a volume control for the comm system. My bike is a 2000 LT with the J&M system manufactured for BMW after the german system they were using turned out to be a bomb. it does have a separate comm volume knob, and a separate sensitivity knob. By turning both up, it has limited operation, as described in my previous posts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in