The Fulcrum Effect... How Not To Reach Down And Pull Up Your Rain Gear..... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Jul 18th, 2009, 1:56 pm Thread Starter

The Fulcrum Effect... How Not To Reach Down And Pull Up Your Rain Gear.....

Unlike our brethren in Texas, whose lakes and streams are becoming more like the Outback of Australia each passing day, New England is being deluged with rain (perhaps FROM the lakes and streams of Texas).. so ...rain gear is pretty much added to my list of AT(R)GATT these days.

I was headed up I-84 in CT..it had started to rain with some ominous looking walls of Grey ahead, so I pulled over under an over pass as far off to the right shoulder (guard rail) as I could get. (new england cagers are ruthless in the right lane).

So I open the right side case.. pull my gear out.. and am worming my legs into the pants (have my over pants on) so I park my butt on the guardrail... have my pvc pants over the toes of my right boot-- resting my boot on the right side peg-- give it a little tug... and $%^&! HERE COMES MY BIKE.... tipping over to join me on the $%^&'in guard rail! I grabbed it just in time to keep the tank and side case from impacting the guard rail, but my right mirror did what it does..and broke-way (which reminds me I need to replace the wire tie)... only a slight scuff on the underside of the mirror where the vent opening are.. but otherwise unscathed.

What a dumbass.

Lessons learned:

1) Especially when distracted by unsafe surroundings (highway overpass, moderate traffic, rainy conditions) be keenly aware of your bike's geometry when getting on and off the saddle. [I am always vigilant to the angle the bike sits when parked to make sure I have a few extra degrees from vertical (10 degrees guessing) lean on the stand side...] -- In this case I didn't notice the crowning on the shoulder was more pronounced than I thought and I was distracted by the environment.

2) Don't be stupid and put your weight on the right side peg when trying to lever your gear on, tie your shoe, or whatever is down by your ankles you're reaching for.... talk about dumb.

Nothing damaged but my pride. And she hasn't yet kissed the earth with her side cases.... but, I still feel stupid as hell over it.

signed,

Annonymous.

Asleepless
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
knight
'03 LTE Titan Silver - Active Duty
'83 VF750F Interceptor White/Red - Retired
'74 MT250 Elsinore Silver - RIP
'72 SL125 Silver - RIP

BMWMOA #143933

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Jul 18th, 2009, 3:00 pm

Re: The Fulcrum Effect... How Not To Reach Down And Pull Up Your Rain Gear.....

My wife just doesn't understand gravity and the effect it has on parked K12LT. She's always getting on my about my selecting a good place to park. I had to make sure she puts "her stuff" in the right sidecase now because she pushes on them with so much force to make sure they're closed! But our previous motorcycle was a Suzuki Bouleavard and that thing leaned so far over on the sidestand could park it almost anywhere!

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in