Conversion? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 18th, 2009, 11:02 am Thread Starter

Conversion?

Had a Dr. appointment at the VA Hospital a couple of days ago. It was a loverly day, & I rode my LT over to it (61miles). Upon coming out of the building I noticed this fella (mid-forties, I guess) really scrutinizing my bike, checking everything out (without touching). Then a lady with @12 year old starting walking towards him, and he looks up at her and says, "That's it! I'm selling my Harley and buying a BMW." Then they strolled out of the parking lot. I was soooooooooo proud, I almost popped my buttons. Had lots of compliments on the LT lately. I tell them it was my retirement gift to myself. Fun = spending money on something that you want too, not have too.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 18th, 2009, 11:52 am

Re: Conversion?

Get a lot of that on an LT - especially from the GW bunch... not so much from Hardley riders tho...
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 18th, 2009, 12:16 pm

Thumbs up Re: Conversion?

I ride mine to the VA in Leavenworth and like you it's a GOOD feeling to watch the gaukers in the parking lot. I can watch them from the hospital windows when I go for my appointments every 3 months.

We're riding the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vern

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 18th, 2009, 1:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz
Had a Dr. appointment at the VA Hospital a couple of days ago. It was a loverly day, & I rode my LT over to it (61miles). Upon coming out of the building I noticed this fella (mid-forties, I guess) really scrutinizing my bike, checking everything out (without touching). Then a lady with @12 year old starting walking towards him, and he looks up at her and says, "That's it! I'm selling my Harley and buying a BMW." Then they strolled out of the parking lot. I was soooooooooo proud, I almost popped my buttons. Had lots of compliments on the LT lately. I tell them it was my retirement gift to myself. Fun = spending money on something that you want too, not have too.
HEY MAN! I saw your bike in the lot if it was at Hines. I too walked around it, and at first, reading this thread, thought you were talkin' about me! Only I don't have a Harley to sell. Dude! 118k on the clock. I was impressed. I posted the sighting and I believe it was moved to the Midwest forum.
Let's ride sometime.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 12:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
HEY MAN! I saw your bike in the lot if it was at Hines. I too walked around it, and at first, reading this thread, thought you were talkin' about me! Only I don't have a Harley to sell. Dude! 118k on the clock. I was impressed. I posted the sighting and I believe it was moved to the Midwest forum.
Let's ride sometime.

Jer
Um, should've mentioned it was the VA in Danville, Illinois. But I'm up for a good ride anytime. Bought the LT in South Elgin. First ride (to home) was a little over 200 miles. What a blast! Thought at 1st the new helmet that I bought was too small, because my face was a little sore the next day. Then I realized it was just from grinnin'. Oh, and its not that far from South Elgin to my house (@150). Just couldn't go 'straight' home.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 2:43 pm

A few weeks ago a Harley pulled up next to me and kept saying "what a beautiful bike" and started to trash his electra-glide, saying it was under powered and difficult to handle. I told him that's because Harley is using the same technology it used in 1970 and he didn't disagree.

The other bunch (Japanese cruiser riders) ask me if the LT is better than a harley, and I tell them their Japanese bikes are better than Harley's. In a matter of fact, in terms of reliability Harley probably falls to the bottom of the list.

The Goldwing riders have much appreciation for the LT, just as we have much appreciation for the Goldwing. People who buy bikes like the Goldwing and LT know what a good bike is. People who buy Harley's have yet to learn what a good bike is or think it's cool that they can buy the same bike they rode in there 20's when they're in there 50's.

02 LT
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 8:28 am

Funny, I get mixed comments from both HD and GW riders. They vary from bashing to compliments. But what I hear the most from GW riders is "But it's only a 1200." But then HD riders will say "THAT'S a 1200?" (in amazement) after I've ridden with them.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #8 of 8 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 8:40 am

A few months ago a fellow I know had bought a new HD Cruiser........ran into him at a bar down south about 20 miles............I get the ol' "Catch you on the way home" line...............I mentioned he probably couldn't catch the clap..............this month I bumped into him again...............he comes up close and says......."Jim, is that bike of yours as fast as SO&SO says it is, he passes me like I'm tied to a rock............?" I said " he must be good at math figuring out how fast my tail lights make it between deli near stakes...................." end of conversation...................

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in