Dealership did not reinstall tupperware correctly - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 11:00 am Thread Starter

Dealership did not reinstall tupperware correctly

I got my bike back from its 12K service last night. The dealership was closing and it was dark so I couldn't do an in-depth visual inspection at the time of pick up but when I stopped for gas on the way home I noticed a couple of things. I could no longer place the gas cap in the cap stand because it was covered up by plastic and the left side of the dash fairing has a large gap between plastic parts. It appears as if this whole top secion of the tupperware is now askew.

Should I take it back and have them realign the tupperware or is this a simple enough fix to do yourself?
BTW: The bill is over $1K for this type of service.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lt-1.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	1683   Click image for larger version

Name:	lt-2.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1684   Click image for larger version

Name:	lt-3.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1685  

Jacques
Dallas, TX USA
'05 K1200LT - '02 Suzuki V-Strom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 11:13 am

VTROMBOLI, I would definitely take it back and have them do it while you wait for it. You don't want something out of place that is going to give you a problem when you are out on the road. I would also take a real close look at their work. I noticed one of the covers on my tip over bars was l little loose. Turned out their was no screws holding it on thanks to my dealer.

BTW my fleet includes a 650 VStrom (pic attached). I love the damn thing! A great compliment to the LT.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VStrom1.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	653.2 KB
ID:	1686  

Ken Norris
Union, Kentucky
2008 Yamaha FJR 1300
Beemer-less....for now!
post #3 of 40 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 11:32 am

Cool

I would take it back to them and show it to the service manager, ask them to fix it while you wait. You paid a lot for this service, it should be perfect.

As a matter of interest what type of oil did you choose to go with.
Your question started an interesting and busy thread.

P.S. I hope the dealer treats you as expected.

Mike McIntosh
2005 K1200LT, 2008 K1200S
1998 K1200RS-sold May 2006
BMWMOA,BMWRA

post #4 of 40 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 11:36 am

Angry what all did they do,

To get to the 1000+ bill. When I inquired concerning the service cost, My dealer told me They would be close to what the CLC cost. Average 320.
I would def. take it back. it would also get me to wondering what else they were Sloppy on.

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #5 of 40 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 11:49 am

The same thing happened to me at the 1000 mile service. When I got my bike home and began washing it, a small curved piece of rubber fell out from the bottom of my bike.

It looked like it was designed to slide onto a piece of metal at an area where wiring would be to keep the wiring from chaffing on the sharp metal surface. But where did it come from?

I took the bike and the part back to the dealership and asked them. Since they had taken a vast majority of tupperware off to replace the right heated grip it had to have come from there. Unfortunately, the guys who worked on the bike had no idea where the little rubber sleeve came from. Since there was no part number on the rubber edging, they couldn't look it up and pretty much threw up their collective hands and said there was nothing they could do.

They also covered the gas cap holder just like on your bike along with crimping the rubber flange on the left side of the gas cap which made opening the fuel door difficult. (I fixed that)

They did agree to buff out the two scratches on my tank and the one scratch on my front fender.

Its really unfortunate to take a $20,000.00 motorcycle in for what is supposed to be routine service and have to deal with these problems when you get it back. But most of us have few choices because there are few dealers to choose from. I guess that is one of the drawbacks to owning an LT verses owning a Wing. But overall, I think the Beemer is still the better motorcycle all the way around.

Steve Gray
2005 LT
post #6 of 40 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 12:03 pm Thread Starter

Here's the itemized invoice. The labor cost really surprised me.
And I went with synthetic oil.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lt-invoice.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1687  

Jacques
Dallas, TX USA
post #7 of 40 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 12:21 pm

Angry

The bottom line if the shop can't install the tupperware correctly what els is F#%#ed Up. Insist the head shop man if he is any good be the only guy to work on your bike. Better yet do the work yourself!

Pete aka murray
post #8 of 40 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 12:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstromboli
Yes apparently your valves were in spec . Ask for the worksheet with valve clearances. The prices are absurd, but the removal of all the T-wear takes time. Depending how many Miles you log a year preventive maintenance is costly through the shop. Good Luck

Pete aka murray
post #9 of 40 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 12:34 pm

The rubber tower getting caught under the fairing is VERY common. It takes a little care when putting the right fairing back on to make sure it is free. I have had this happen myself when I did not pay close attention to it when putting the fairings back on. Usually though, uou can use a small screwdriver and pop it back out without removing the fairing again.

The gap in the fairings though is another matter. Would have the dealer fix that, don't know what he could have done to leave that gap. I never had that problem, and removed/replaced fairings MANY times.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 40 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 12:56 pm

Does it really take 12.7 hrs to do a 12K maintenance???? Correctly???
I just looked at the checklist and there is quite a bit to do if you actually did everything on the list... David, Does it really take that long????

Note to self.... Open Bike Shop.. Specialize in BMW service and maintainance...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 40 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 12:56 pm

i believe the gap occurs when the cables aren't properly routed in their niche by the plastic fuel tank. it takes some fiddling to make sure they are all in their proper place.

one grand for labor. wow.
post #12 of 40 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 2:23 pm

Just completed a 12k service by the dealer. Labor cost was based on 8 hrs. total time.
post #13 of 40 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 2:35 pm

Post re- invoice

Quote:
vstromboli - I printed off your invoice. Noted the total hours charged were 12.7. My dealer told me the time it takes to do the 12000 mile or 20000km (in Canada) is 12 to 13 hours. The labour rate at the dealer I deal with is $75.00 per hour. Looking at your invoice the cost would have been the same. In my case I asked them not to change the plugs, air filter, fuel filter or any lubricants. They knocked off about 3 hours. I had them do the valves, ABS check and change brake fluid so that there could be no warranty problems if one did arise. I do not think they over charged you. The quality is a concern.
They should bend over backwards to make you happy. Service is their livelyhood. I work at an auto dealership. Service is also important.
They may have a problem with a tech. It is their responsibility to rectify that.
You may not be the only one. Again, Good Luck.

Mike McIntosh
2005 K1200LT, 2008 K1200S
1998 K1200RS-sold May 2006
BMWMOA,BMWRA
post #14 of 40 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 2:36 pm

You definitely should get that fixed. Dealer misalignments just like that eventually caused a stress crack in my dash, which, of course, nobody would accept any responsibility for, since it naturally happened some time later. Replacing the skins should be the easiest thing the techs do. There is no excuse for getting it wrong.

Dan
New Hampshire
2002 K1200LTC
post #15 of 40 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 5:03 pm

I know exactly what causes that gap. There is a tab on the fairing panel that fits into the stingray. If this tab isn't inserted, it bends, causing said gap. It's covered in the Sayegh tapes and I just can't believe a dealer would miss it.

I also think 12 hours is ludicrous for a service. If that were the case, when we have tech sessions in my gearage, folks would have to spend the night. Hell, we ADJUSTED the valves in less than two hours, i.e., pulled the cams and replaced shims.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #16 of 40 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 5:20 pm

For those that's gonna do more service at their dealer, I can relate that whenever I take the bike to the dealer, I know well in advance how long he will need it and he assures me he has all parts.

Before I leave the bike with him, we go over the work to be done. He has a good idea how long it will take for each chore, and gives me a close ballpark of total hours, so I know when it will be done and pretty close how much money it will take.

If in my questioning, I come up with a questionable procedure or time, I jump on this site and ask...before the work is done. Saves rude surprises.

Good dealers don't have a problem with this. Anything else is a pig in a poke. Bend over, grab 'em and smile....yeah, I've had to do that, too!

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #17 of 40 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 6:32 pm

Question

Is it improper etiquette to ask what dealer it was? I will need the 12K service done soon and I will probably take it to a dealer.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #18 of 40 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 7:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas42
Is it improper etiquette to ask what dealer it was? I will need the 12K service done soon and I will probably take it to a dealer.
Sent you a PM.

Jacques
Dallas, TX USA
post #19 of 40 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 9:17 pm

Double Dipping?

Jacques,
Since you had the 12k, Annual and a fluid flush done in a single service You may have been charged labor hours to do the jobs separately. The flat rate times always include the time to remove and install the body panels. There may also be items that are on both the 12K and Annual service. These overlapping times are seldom refunded when doing multiple services. Ask the dealer if you had the three services done on three separate days, would it cost the same as doing it in a single session?

Chuck Swenson,
Sioux City, IA
2010 R1200RT Low with ESA2!
2005 LT
post #20 of 40 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 7:44 am

Durn tootin'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjessen
For those that's gonna do more service at their dealer, I can relate that whenever I take the bike to the dealer, I know well in advance how long he will need it and he assures me he has all parts.

Before I leave the bike with him, we go over the work to be done. He has a good idea how long it will take for each chore, and gives me a close ballpark of total hours, so I know when it will be done and pretty close how much money it will take.

If in my questioning, I come up with a questionable procedure or time, I jump on this site and ask...before the work is done. Saves rude surprises.

Good dealers don't have a problem with this. Anything else is a pig in a poke. Bend over, grab 'em and smile....yeah, I've had to do that, too!
Like Pete said, I cover EVERYTHING with BMW of Atlanta B4 anything is done. I have never had an issue with them.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #21 of 40 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 8:05 am

Sounds as if they charged you the time for the bike to sit idle long enough (2-3 hours maybe?) for it to cool sufficiently to do the valves...just a thought.

Your reassembly issues seem to be a common thread, and you have to watch 'em like a hawk sometimes. Checking up behind them, especially as to how the bike was put back together, has become routine for me, and I consider my dealer to have one of the better service departments in the system. I've found screws missing, hidden ones not snugged down or backed almost all the way out, you name it. And of course, this is after I'm already home and after I've tipped the guy too, for crying out loud! One might consider it reasonable to expect that at $75-$85 an hour you would get the quality of workmanship and attention to detail commensurate with that level of tariff, but sadly it ain't necessarily so.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #22 of 40 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 8:38 am
Bouncer

It appears that you were charged for both a 12K service PLUS an Annual. It also appears that they charged as if you were having these services performed SEPERATELY.

Given the labor rate is $75, that means the work must have been performed at BMW of Ft Worth. They did something very similar a couple weeks ago to one of my friends who rides a R1150RT.

You might try Plano next time. The labor rate at BMW of North Dallas is $70. Also, Merrin Austin (the service manager at BMW of North Dallas) has a "combined price" when you have an annual done at the same time that saves you a few bucks on the labor.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #23 of 40 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 9:53 am Thread Starter

So, here's the deal. I purchased the prepaid three year service contract at the time I bought the bike and I posted the invoice so that people could see what the charges were. I wasn't out $1,200 at the time I picke dthe bike up. I've already paid all this up front.

My point was that for almost $1,000 labor you'd think they'd get my tupperware on correctly. I also wanted to know opinions on if I could do the fix myself easily or should I bring it back to the dealer.

This also bought up the disturbing possibility of other items not performed correctly. FWIW: I did inspect the bike last night and couldn't find any missing/loose screws, etc.

Jacques
Dallas, TX USA
post #24 of 40 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 10:14 am

Wether you have paid for it up front or not, I would have been indignent if they would have improperly re-installed anything, or installed anything improperly!

Since I am not a do-it-yourselfer, I have to rely upon my dealership to steer me in the right direction. I do get some advice from this board, but as I have said earlier, I have been happy with my dealership.

I would take your bike back today (just show up) and talk to the owner and the service mananger and have a talk. Make sure you all are on the right page.

My thoughts only.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #25 of 40 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 10:14 am

Wonder why they sold you 2 quarts of gear oil when only one is needed?
post #26 of 40 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 10:23 am

Quote:
Should I take it back and have them realign the tupperware or is this a simple enough fix to do yourself?
It's simple enough to fix yourself, but is this acceptable work from Don's shop? He needs to see that the work coming out is up to a high standard. I have had some work done there, covered by Pinnacle, and was satisfied. But as has been said, everybody has good days and bad. I'd give him the chance to make it right, and hold him to that high standard.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #27 of 40 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 10:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrehder
Wonder why they sold you 2 quarts of gear oil when only one is needed?
One to put in the gears, and one to drink, silly!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #28 of 40 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 10:59 am
kip

take it back and demand it be done right

Unofortunately your experience just seems indicative of the shoddy workmanship going on everywhere from McDonalds to BMW.

For the most part, I try to do everything myself figuring that it may take me longer but at least I know I'm not going to take any shortcuts or at least if I DO screw something up I'm not going to cover it up or ignore it. What you learn is that every time you get better at it and eventually you know your bike like no other.....which helps when something unexpected happens on the road.

I would demand satisfaction and accept nothing less.

kip
99 LT
post #29 of 40 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 11:01 am

I'm not so sure you should be upset --

-- for two reasons.

As to the gas cap holder, I mistakenly trap mine nearly every time I put the stingray on, and then at some point later see it and simply hook my finger behind it and pull it out. No big deal.

For the stingray/dash gap, mine looks the same. From your pic, it appears they properly mounted the left upper side panel into the groove at edge of the stingray. This is a further indication that the stingray is likely in the right position (if the stingray is too far back, the left upper panel won't fit between the screw under the mirror and the top rear of the panel (at the oddments compartment).

FWIW, the dash panel/stingray are *not* designed to precisely meet with no gap. I have no basis to know for sure, but I believe the gap is deliberate, so the gap is roughly the same as the gap at gas cap cover on the other side. I have noticed that when the number of connectors increases (VOICE II, GPS, etc.) they tend to apply more pressure to the stingray, maybe opening up the gap a couple thousands more, but even then, the gap remains pretty consistent.

So, based on your pics, I would not be willing to say your dealer "screwed up." As least before you register a complaint, I'd suggest walking into the showroom and looking at a couple LTs -- if you find a seamless bike, then you have grounds -- but I'll wager a KK that you won't

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #30 of 40 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 12:10 pm

Dave is correct, I have been able to get the rubber in place afterwards too. This is a pretty common mistake. The more you become familiar with your bike and how it goes together the less you will rely on the dealers.

Paul S.
Producer of the K1200LT Service Videos
Maker of the HD Lugage Rack kit

post #31 of 40 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 12:25 pm
fas

Smile a grand for the 12 k is a rip off....the dealer is a thief

Quote:
I got my bike back from its 12K service last night..... realign the tupperware or is this a simple enough fix to do yourself?
You got screwed. My dealer here in Cleveland charged $554.81 for the 12,000 mile service including new throttle cables free on warranty.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #32 of 40 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 4:28 pm

Quote:
So, here's the deal. I purchased the prepaid three year service contract at the time I bought the bike and I posted the invoice so that people could see what the charges were. I wasn't out $1,200 at the time I picke dthe bike up. I've already paid all this up front.

My point was that for almost $1,000 labor you'd think they'd get my tupperware on correctly. I also wanted to know opinions on if I could do the fix myself easily or should I bring it back to the dealer.

This also bought up the disturbing possibility of other items not performed correctly. FWIW: I did inspect the bike last night and couldn't find any missing/loose screws, etc.
Your posted invoice is for the dealer to show you what a great deal you got by purchasing a three year service contract! And the poorly installed plastic is the result of having an UNSUPERVISED apprentice doing a simple service.
Bruce C
post #33 of 40 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 6:48 pm

Doesn't (Shouldn't!) BMW shops have 'standardized' hours for routine services? There isn't a 'Chilton's' for motorcycles for various types repair / service? I can understand if the shop 'rate' is different from dealership to dealership, but I bet they don't charge BMW any old amount of manhours on warranty work ... I could 'possibly' understand on something that isn't routine, but a 12K workup ought to at least have some type of range ... AND of course, when you pay that much to have something installed incorrectly is ... well, they ought to take care of it AND offer you a rebate / in store credit / or freebie or something. My $0.02 ...

Dave Frederick

Clinton UT
'05 Light Yellow Metallic LT

'05 Monochromatic Mulberry Red Triumph Rocket III

'12 Triple Black R1200GSA
post #34 of 40 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 10:04 pm

When I called a month or so ago to the closest dealer to me I was told the 24K service for my bike would run around $400 assuming they didn't find anything wrong. $1100 sure is a long way from that.

It's nice that there is no real breakdown for that portion isn't it.......

I guess I will be more aware now when going in for mine since I am new to this.

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660
post #35 of 40 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 4:33 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Your dealer is high on part costs as well. The oil change kit lists for $17.00 (retail, not discounted) at Chicago BMW and the filter (fuel) lists for $17.30. I'm sure the rest of the parts would come out similarly. Plus they charged you for two full quarts of synth gear oil, when the tranny and rear drive combined take less than one quart.

High prices, sloppy service, way too many hours charged, and they wonder why dealers have a hard time staying open?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #36 of 40 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 1:05 pm

Time stamps

One thing you could ask to see is the is the time stamp on the sevice ticket. Most shops keep some record of actual time vss book time to judge competencies as well as for billing time for "investigative" and / or custom applications of farkles / non or out of warranty work. Our dealer routinely shows and shares this with customer before the bill is totalled. Nice PR touch as it allows for the real a-hole customer to negitiate a bit so he feels he has the hammer and will be more prone to return.

Jon Bush
' 09 RT
"SAPHIRE"
post #37 of 40 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 6:09 pm

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to change oil and fluids? I would like to know how much they charge an hour. I think maybe I am underpayed.
post #38 of 40 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 6:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgtc
Can anyone tell me how long it takes to change oil and fluids? I would like to know how much they charge an hour. I think maybe I am underpayed.
depends on what you mean by "fluids." brake service, especially for servo models, is pretty complex. gear, engine, and final drive oil take about two hours if you take plenty of breaks for beer.
post #39 of 40 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:29 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Let's see, $952.50 for 12.7 hours comes out to $75/hour. Of course, you'll need somewhere between $1 and $2 million to get the dealership started, assuming BMW approves you after you jump through all their hoops.

What? You didn't think the mechanics made $75/hour, did you? The Service Managers don't even make that much.

Shoulda gone into computers like the rest of us.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #40 of 40 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 11:52 pm

Yesterday I paid $475 for 12K and annual - no extra work involved.

Only problem is they trapped my autocom cable under the gas tank when re-installing - so I'm on my way back there today.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in