Jacking up LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 9:42 am Thread Starter

Jacking up LT

Help! I am about to change my slave cylinder and drill the weep hole, a friend has gratiously delivered his lift and the Black Beauty is up in the air. So how do I jack it up to get the rear wheel off? I had originally planned to use the center stand and then across the panniers when the wheel and exhaust were off, but now the center stand is out. Any suggestions, or better yet pictures would be greatly appreciated. I know I can count on you guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 10:09 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Jacking up LT

Try a scissors jack under the center stand mount bosses . I just started to take my bike down to fix a slipping clutch , & that is how I did yesterday .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 10:40 am

I've done several slave cylinder jobs and have used the centerstand without issue. I assume your problem is getting the bike on the stand without the bike moving backwards out of the wheel vise on the lift. Both of the dealers I use most use the scissor type jack approach to solve this problem (their jacks are way nicer than the one I have). Be sure to securly strap down the bike. You'll be using a lot of ummph on this project, an accident is a real possibility.

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 5:59 pm

I use an Engine Lift and soft tie down's to connect..

If you use center stand, make SURE you tie it "forward" by rope or other method to the front wheel..that way it won't "sit down" on you... unless you try really hard.
post #5 of 9 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 6:21 pm

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Following the manual:
Undo tranny from frame. Cherry picker lifts the bike from rear, while tranny/motor is supported by wood blocks (under oil pan). Set 'er down carefully on jack stands, leaving the cherry picker still connected.

Go slow and good luck, let us know how it goes...

I promise I've cleaned up the garage since then!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tranny removal.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	23769  
post #6 of 9 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 6:35 pm

Ooops. You said drilling the weep hole and slave cylinder change? You shouldn't have to remove the center stand ( I didn't ). My last post was for a tranny removal, sorry.

A cherry picker wouldn't hurt, anyway. It'll keep Black Beauty from moving around when you remove the FD and swing-arm with that big breaker bar.

Do you have that modified 30mm socket? If not, I can send you a picture of that, too.
post #7 of 9 Old Jul 18th, 2009, 9:21 am Thread Starter

I didn't plan on changing the clutch, I notice some slippage when it was cold and the clutch was self engaging when it warmed up, fluid was low, don't need a roadmap. Took awhile to decide to do this, then the lift was delivered, and putting the bike on the center stand seemed like a good idea, until I was on the lift, looked like a new and exciting way to drop the bike. Don't need any new ways while I'm, still perfecting the ususal methods.
Anyway, don't have a cherry picker, do have plenty of jacks and straps, still have to modify the socket, will try the plasma cutter, probably on a couple of them. lol. If you have a pic of your socket, it will be greatly appreciated, all in all, should be rolling in a few hours!
post #8 of 9 Old Jul 18th, 2009, 10:17 am

My tooling buddy was able to cut the slot in the socket without a plasma cutter. He made the two straight cuts with a grinder, then cleaned up the sides in a milling machine while I drank some of his beer. We also had to cut about a half inch off of the 12mm allen wrench. Then he loaned me the cherry picker...

The other picture shows the weep hole drilled. The area circled in red shows where I had to relieve a little metal off of the frame to allow the tranny to go back into place. Another post said that if one of the forward motor mounts is loosened, then this won't be necessary. I had the motor resting on a wood block, so I didn't want to move it. Suit yourself.

Despite the garage mess in the previous picture, I had all parts bagged and labeled. Sure helped.

Anyway, go carefully with that 850 pound beast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hi Torque.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	23784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Modified 30mm Socket.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	423.1 KB
ID:	23785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Socket plus Allen 2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	481.7 KB
ID:	23786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Weep holes 2.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	23787  
post #9 of 9 Old Jul 18th, 2009, 3:02 pm

+1 on the location to relieve to get the tranny in. I had a BIT?? of a time trying to get it in without the relief. Got the 4.5" disk grinder out and cut-off wheel and cut off the little web. Tranny went in like butter after that. Also, no need to remove the center stand.

Attached is a procedure someone here did, it is great and easy to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBoat2003
My tooling buddy was able to cut the slot in the socket without a plasma cutter. He made the two straight cuts with a grinder, then cleaned up the sides in a milling machine while I drank some of his beer. We also had to cut about a half inch off of the 12mm allen wrench. Then he loaned me the cherry picker...

The other picture shows the weep hole drilled. The area circled in red shows where I had to relieve a little metal off of the frame to allow the tranny to go back into place. Another post said that if one of the forward motor mounts is loosened, then this won't be necessary. I had the motor resting on a wood block, so I didn't want to move it. Suit yourself.

Despite the garage mess in the previous picture, I had all parts bagged and labeled. Sure helped.

Anyway, go carefully with that 850 pound beast.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Slave Cylinder weeping hole Procedure.pdf (1.25 MB, 46 views)

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in