Oil Change Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Jul 16th, 2009, 10:10 pm Thread Starter

Oil Change Question

When I released the three screws securing the oil filter cover, oil poured out into the oil pain. I wasn't expecting this. Is it normal, or is a result of the oil filter not having been secured properly the last time the filter was changed? thx Robert

Asleepless
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
knight
'03 LTE Titan Silver - Active Duty
'83 VF750F Interceptor White/Red - Retired
'74 MT250 Elsinore Silver - RIP
'72 SL125 Silver - RIP

BMWMOA #143933

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Jul 16th, 2009, 10:18 pm

Re: Oil Change Question

That's normal.
You technically don't need to use the oil bolt. A lot of people just drain the oil from those three screws that hold the filter.

If somehow oil wasn't getting into the oil filter, then your engine wont get oil, and you'd have bigger problems.
post #3 of 33 Old Jul 16th, 2009, 10:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

yap... That's what it do....The filter is in the oil sump ..... Moto Guzzy's use to have you take the oil pan off to get to the filter , that is in the oil sump .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #4 of 33 Old Jul 16th, 2009, 10:20 pm

Totally normal. In fact some of us don't use the oil drain plug at all. Also why you don't use a painted filter.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #5 of 33 Old Jul 16th, 2009, 10:49 pm

Careful torquing the 3 screws down.. they will usually break before you strip out the threads in the oil pan.... but you never know.
post #6 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 12:55 am

Good thing you already had the pan under it!!! That would be a rude how-do-ya-do if you weren't expecting it!

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #7 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 1:57 am

Pre-fill the filter before spinning in back on.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #8 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 1:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacolt
Pre-fill the filter before spinning in back on.
Why? In the nearly 100,000 miles I've owned 2 LTs, I've never once prefilled the oil filter. The short time the motor runs until oil gets in the filter isn't going to hurt the motor.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #9 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 2:37 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Normal as said.

If you read a bit you will see most of us loosen all three screws, but loosen only 1 enough to control the gusher, it works pretty good. Then remove them all and change the filter out.

Make sure you get the OLD filters gasket out. Also make sure you get the NEW filter on tight enough, not gorilla balls to the walls tight, but tight.

Make sure your new (or old) o-ring for the cover is clean along with both matting surfaces.

And as pointed out, gentle on the screws you are only compressing that o-rings thickness.

Now if you liked that oil draining, wait until you get to the tranny draining

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #10 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 3:07 pm

I still think BMW needs to come up with a better solution for oil changes.

How bad would oil changes suck if you rode 5K-6K a month?

Or for the rest of us who do 3K oil changes, if we rode 3K a month?

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #11 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 3:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Why? In the nearly 100,000 miles I've owned 2 LTs, I've never once prefilled the oil filter. The short time the motor runs until oil gets in the filter isn't going to hurt the motor.
Sure doesn't hurt tho! The LT makes a nasty sound on initial startup if there is no oil in the filter.
post #12 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 5:03 pm

Quote:
Knock on wood.

Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
post #13 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 5:41 pm

Again, I ask you the question why? It hasn't been proven on this site or anywhere else this is an issue. I've watched the three different BMW dealers change the oil on my LTs and none pre-fill the filter.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #14 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 6:28 pm

Is there any reason not to? Some do, some don't. Who's right?

Knock on wood.

Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
post #15 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 7:15 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Again, I ask you the question why? It hasn't been proven on this site or anywhere else this is an issue. I've watched the three different BMW dealers change the oil on my LTs and none pre-fill the filter.
I pre fill my filter cause that was how my dad taught me how to do it. I did oil and FD both this morning. Oil was dark as alway but FD was like NEW from the bottle after 6K. The magnet had ZERO particles only a little soot. The bike has 54,000 flawless miles on it.

Stevie Shreeve
post #16 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 7:29 pm

Because you're dad taught you to do it that way is fine. But I don't think it's ever been proven that the short time a motor, choose your motor, takes to start from and oil and filter change with an empty filter has ever damaged an engine.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #17 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 7:54 pm

ASLEEPLESSKNIGHT.......

Everyone from post #7 on has given you good advice.. Except Steve R.
Why he wants to give you bad info here is beyond me.. I guess he just doesn't understand mechanics or hydraulics very well... The babbit bearings on the crankshaft need never be metal on metal ( they score when metal on metal).. The oil pump is not efficient enough to always fill the filter very fast (cars & trucks even worse).. So take the time to fill the new filter with oil before installing it, you will then be the wiser man for it............
post #18 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 8:16 pm

Just beware those that do prefill. The oil poured in goes to the main bearings unfiltered. Therefore any debris, plastic bottle lip, cap, foil, fuzz, etc can block an oil gallery. Has happened to some, not on any bikes I know of. Some manufacturers and fleet operators advise against prefilling for these reasons. All aircraft I have serviced required prefill. On my personal vehicles, depends what kind of mood I'm in and what angle the filter resides on the block. YMMV

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #19 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 8:18 pm

Well, you have to fill the oil filter which will help get the oil flowing quickly at startup....

The second reason is to get clean oil all over your hand to help remove the grime from the old filter, etc.
post #20 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 10:53 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I have always pre-filled. Dad taught me that way also. Even if it is a Horizontal mount to the block, I roll it around and saturate the element and leave as much as I can in it. I also make sure the gasket is wet and the thread hole. My dad explained that as a simple test using baby pinkie with a bit of oil, to feel the threads for imperfections.

Not fussing on trying to say anything one way or another, just something I have done for 40 years or so, since my Dad turned me loose on the family cars. He watched me like a hawk on a few and after that he just told me to do them, he would pull a stick on me once in awhile though.

Only way I know how to do it.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #21 of 33 Old Jul 18th, 2009, 9:21 am

I don't prefill anymore. Like Steve said, it doesn't matter.

Last time I did pre-fill and then put in the proper amount of oil, it was overfull! Much worse than not pre-filling.

Doesn't matter if you do or don't. I haven't asked the dealer mechanic, but am pretty sure they don't pre-fill the filter.

If it could cause a critical failure, there would be warnings all over the place (maybe on the filter cover, inside the filter box, along with warnings from BMW.

This is another one of those anal things... like synthetic or not, oil changes at 3k or 6k, etc. You won't find anyone reporting problems from not pre-filling. Anbody know of any failures because of not pre-filling? Anybody?

What was the original question? Oh... it's already been answered.
post #22 of 33 Old Jul 18th, 2009, 10:22 am

First time I changed the oil, I had asked the dealer where the oil filter was and they showed me, but neglected to point out that I should pull the drain plug first. Luckily, being in the fuel business, I had a good supply of absorbant pads on hand and some oil eater. Read the manual, it's all there. Just another story to tell, good size puddle in the drive though.
post #23 of 33 Old Jul 18th, 2009, 1:01 pm Thread Starter

You guys crack me up!

Thank you for the entertainment... and I think there was some good advice some where lubricating those thousand words or so.... MUCH APPRECIATED.

I was just surprised to bathe myself with warm oil when I cracked those screws.... hadn't heard anything about it previously..

I didn't prefill the filter.. kept in mind I needed to put in only x amount of Litres.. used one of those gauged measuring funnels (with the release fitting) with the long flex tubing from malwart. Slow fill.. but was clean... no spills (cept the friggin cap cover douche surprise).

It was way more tedious than replacing the rear brake pads... now THAT was the easiest maintenance I think I've done on any kind of conveyance in years!

So ... don't ever listen to Steve R... is that what I'm hearin'?

Cheers! Robert

Asleepless
knight
'03 LTE Titan Silver - Active Duty
'83 VF750F Interceptor White/Red - Retired
'74 MT250 Elsinore Silver - RIP
'72 SL125 Silver - RIP

BMWMOA #143933

post #24 of 33 Old Jul 18th, 2009, 2:20 pm

First time I changed the oil, I had asked the dealer where the oil filter was and they showed me, but neglected to point out that I should pull the drain plug first. Luckily, being in the fuel business, I had a good supply of absorbant pads on hand and some oil eater. Read the manual, it's all there. Just another story to tell, good size puddle in the drive though.
post #25 of 33 Old Jul 18th, 2009, 9:01 pm

Prefill?

It doesn't matter. If you think its good,then it is. If you think its a pain and a waste of time, then it is. I sometimes do, usually not. If you do, the next time you fill it, let it just sit for a few minutes and see what sort of stuff floats up in the middle of the filter.

Now draining the oil. Those of us who dump the oil by removing the oil filter cover, I'm here to tell you that you leave a small quantity and any sediments, if any right there in the pan. I drop out the drain plug first, gets the sediments out.

That reminds me, time for an oil change, think I've got some Mobile 1 around somewhere. Know where the new filter is.

Worked on an engine all week,don't feel much like turning a wrench on the weekend, that oil change might have to wait.

B D R
post #26 of 33 Old Jul 18th, 2009, 11:07 pm

I am with Steve on this one...

My dad never taught me to fill the oil filter before install.
I was never taught to fill the filter in any mechanics courses.
In six years of being a paid mechanic, no one ever mentioned filling the filter.

But then again, this is a BMW website and a lot of the owers which post on this site are extremely annal.

Besides, it is only like one second of running without oil...
So Please, lighten up! It is just a motorcycle, not a jet engine.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #27 of 33 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 1:05 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Like I said the way I was taught.

Anal or habit?

In my case habit.

But I am fussy for sure.

In any vehicle I have ever run, I have never had a oil related failure of any kind.

I also know it is not because I pre-fill a filter, but rather I change often, and to Summer/Winter no matter where I am on miles. And I maintain my bike, keep the under carriage reasonably clean, and inspect for crud or accumulated fluid/s, and I watch all fluids like a Hawk.

On Topic:

I have never dropped the drain plug. I open the fill cap, and then the controlled, "Three Screw Monty".

As I clean the filter mount I also push the rag back into the pan, and I do get some gunk, which I am not sure draining through the drain hole would get.

Again all moot points IMHO, as often as any of us change oil and filters, it is not the engine oil we need to fear.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #28 of 33 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 9:48 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I think pre filling the oil filter extends the life of the engine just like the saying on cigarettes and your life. Every one you smoke takes 10 minutes off your life. Every oil filter you pre-fill adds a 1,000 miles to your engine (WAG on babbit wear). Your choice - necessary - no; nice to have - yes. Is this a new type of oil thread????

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #29 of 33 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 11:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I think pre filling the oil filter extends the life of the engine just like the saying on cigarettes and your life. Every one you smoke takes 10 minutes off your life. Every oil filter you pre-fill adds a 1,000 miles to your engine (WAG on babbit wear). Your choice - necessary - no; nice to have - yes. Is this a new type of oil thread????
Agreed, John. I pre-fill every time. Just brought up that way!!

I remember not pre-filling ole Toad's filter once (super hot day in the storage unit and couldn't wait to git outta there!!), and cringed when I heard the *diesel* sound on fire up. Won't do that again - had a leetle pucker moment there!!
post #30 of 33 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 5:52 pm

As stated, normal, the filter is in the sump, a little more oil comes out if you use the drain plug. I change my oil evry 7,000 miles now and I ride over 25,000 a year. So that's one way to deal with that. I know guys who go 12,000 per change and have racked u[p over 250,000 with nary a problem. Only problem I have with going that long is you can't tell when your filter is clogged. Modern synthetic and blend oils can easily provide good lubrication and suspension of dirt for 10-15,000 miles.

Just my $.02
post #31 of 33 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 6:08 pm

I also wondered about oil left behind when using the filter cover to drain the oil, so I tested it. Drained the oil through the filter cover, then when the oil stopped dripping I removed the drain plug. Got all of a couple teaspoons of oil, certainly not significant in any way. Never pulled the drain plug again.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #32 of 33 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 9:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I just did an oil change, removed the oil filter cover and filter, then let it drain overnight. Before I refilled it, I pulled the drain plug to see for myself if any more would come out.

Nothing----not 1 drop
post #33 of 33 Old Mar 28th, 2010, 1:30 pm

you always prefill a diesel oil filter,,, thats where it came from

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in