Joined Club - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jul 15th, 2009, 8:11 pm Thread Starter

Joined Club

Well I joined the club today, a sloped parking lot, a tight turn around around, and there she was laying on her side. Good thing I just watched a video on how to pick the beast up. I was surprised how easy she came up.
Any Ideas where I can get new covers for tip over bars?

Ride it like you stole it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jul 15th, 2009, 8:55 pm

Re: Joined Club

Don't worry about the covers yet, you may use them again.

Dave
Plainfield, IN
'05 LT Ocean Blue
post #3 of 13 Old Jul 15th, 2009, 9:01 pm

And don't ask how I know

Dave
Plainfield, IN
'05 LT Ocean Blue

post #4 of 13 Old Jul 15th, 2009, 9:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

And besides, a few scratches on the tip over bars adds character. Don't ask me how I know that either.
post #5 of 13 Old Jul 15th, 2009, 9:19 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckle
And besides, a few scratches on the tip over bars adds character. Don't ask me how I know that either.
Almost every LT that I know then has "character"

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 13 Old Jul 15th, 2009, 10:41 pm

Well, I found that IF you want to hide some of that CHaracter....PLasticote makes a bumper color paint that just rocks.

I had to do mine as the sun and weather had made the tip over covers look dirty all the time even tho I took care of it...

it looked really good.

yeh and isnt surprising how easy it was to pick her up? watch the video , try to not practice so often... (JK! I did it too!) maybe we need a special patch or something.....

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old Jul 15th, 2009, 11:08 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Welcome, you are among good company

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #8 of 13 Old Jul 16th, 2009, 9:37 am

I lowsided on ice up in TX, smashed the cover...get it from the dealer, their actually pretty cheep!! can't recall but only about 20 bucks maybe?

Story..wife and i stopped in BFE for gas and coffee...man, that coffee was fresh and good, was going to drink it while riding.

So out we go, I'm already on a slight angle in the park lot, i put the two cups of joe on the console, wifes steps up to get on and over it goes!

this guy runs over to help me get this machine back up, you should have seen the look on his face when I said "I can't believe I just spilled that fresh coffee!!", i wasn't even looking at the bike...still LOL about that one
post #9 of 13 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 8:50 am

Ok.. Now that I know I'm not the only one. I Just purchased a 2008 K1200LT and while trying to put it on the center stand on a lightly sloped driveway, I ended up ever so slightly laying it down on it's side. The tip over bars did their thing and there's a little scrub on it. A much bigger scrub is on my pride as I've never dropped a bike before.

To compound the problem, I am recovering from a broken back and have hardware connecting all my lower lumbar vertebrae together. It wasn't easy putting the bike back in the upright position even with the help of my wonderful lady.

The question is, where can I see the video on how to pick the bike back up easily????

Thank you in advance!

Dennis
post #10 of 13 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 9:01 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisG
Ok.. Now that I know I'm not the only one. I Just purchased a 2008 K1200LT and while trying to put it on the center stand on a lightly sloped driveway, I ended up ever so slightly laying it down on it's side. The tip over bars did their thing and there's a little scrub on it. A much bigger scrub is on my pride as I've never dropped a bike before.

To compound the problem, I am recovering from a broken back and have hardware connecting all my lower lumbar vertebrae together. It wasn't easy putting the bike back in the upright position even with the help of my wonderful lady.

The question is, where can I see the video on how to pick the bike back up easily????

Thank you in advance!

Dennis
HERE

Stevie Shreeve
post #11 of 13 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 12:43 am

I'm part of this club also. the same week I became a 4%er I layed it on it's side before I even knew what happened. Worst yet it happened as I pulled into the local bike night. ever so slight slope to the lot did it. I think maybe the final drive locked up as I stopped making my stop quicker than anticipated. yeah that's it..

Rick

2001 K1200LT C New to me 4-06-09
2002 Honda VTX 1800- SOLD
1983 Honda Goldwing interstate - SOLD
post #12 of 13 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 8:55 pm

These bikes sometimes want their own way with the road. Parking lots can be brutal if your foot slips on gravel or sand and especially when backing the bike into a parking stall. I had installed short chrome strips (wheel well moulding on the tip over wings and on the bottom of the chrome on the side bags. They just might save having big scratches on either the tip over wings or the chrome mouldings on the side bags. Don't ask me how I know?? The moulding is about $20.00 for 20 ft. it is called a prostripe #852005 chrome moulding. It is installed easily and can be replaced easily.
Went for a short cruise today and the outside temp. showed 100F on the bikes readout. Hot Hot!!
Cheers
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06bmw6.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	23893   Click image for larger version

Name:	06bmw5.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	23894  

1953 Ariel 350
1970 Norton Commando
1975 Honda Excel 250
1977 Kawasaki Z1000 LT
1985 Honda V65 Magna
1989 Yamaha Venture Royalle
2006 BMW K1200 LT
post #13 of 13 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 4:48 am Thread Starter

I went to my local spray in bed liner dealer. He said if he was spraying a truck bed any way he would spray my skinned up parts for less than $ 20.00. I might give it a try.

Ride it like you stole it!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in