Has anyone tried DYNO-BOOST on an 05-09 LT of have any thoughts on it? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 2:59 pm Thread Starter

Has anyone tried DYNO-BOOST on an 05-09 LT of have any thoughts on it?

Just ran into this little gem and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it

DYNO-BOOST Adjustable Performance Chip BMW K1200LT
Dyno-Boost

Would be nice to pick another 20 HP.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 3:46 pm

Re: Has anyone tried DYNO-BOOST on an 05-09 LT of have any thoughts on it?

At $60, I don't think I'd waste my money on it.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #3 of 14 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 3:50 pm Thread Starter

That was my initial thought as well but so far I haven't seen much in the way of Chip programmers for the LT soooooo....

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

post #4 of 14 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 3:51 pm

Kind of makes me think of putting firmer springs in my la-z-boy to improve sitting performance.

I suspect you could have your pillion lose 20 lbs and have a bigger improvement in quarter mile times AND better cornering performance than this chip would give you an a LT. Not that I've met her, just sayin'...

My wife's cousin's husband came to the family July 4 party with a MV Agusta F4 1000R
I got to ride it on some county roads. There were some noticable differences, mostly that the front tire seemed to be filled with helium. It kept lifting off the pavement.
The Augusta <-vs-> the K1200LT
Type: 4 cylinder, 4 stroke, 16 valve <--> 4 cylinder, 4 stroke, 16 valve
Total displacement: 998 cm3 <--> 1172 cm3
Compression ratio: 13:1 <--> 10.8:1
Bore x stroke: 76 mm x 55 mm <--> 75 mm x 70.5 mm
Max. horse power 174hp @ 11900rpm <--> 98hp @ 6750rpm
Max. torque - r.p.m.: 111Nm @ 10000rpm. <--> 115Nm @ 4750rpm
Dry weight: F4 1000 R 1+1: 189 Kg <--> 249Kg (without pillion)
Maximum speed: 187 mph <--> 130 mph

Notice that the biggest difference is a shorter stroke. Maybe I could go into the business of selling crankshaft kits for the LT. On paper it looks like you could add 76 horses and 57 mph to top speed to the LT with such a kit.
post #5 of 14 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 3:52 pm Thread Starter

LOL..... cold man very cold

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #6 of 14 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 4:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimay
Kind of makes me think of putting firmer springs in my la-z-boy to improve sitting performance.

I suspect you could have your pillion lose 20 lbs and have a bigger improvement in quarter mile times AND better cornering performance than this chip would give you an a LT. Not that I've met her, just sayin'...

My wife's cousin's husband came to the family July 4 party with a MV Agusta F4 1000R
I got to ride it on some county roads. There were some noticable differences, mostly that the front tire seemed to be filled with helium. It kept lifting off the pavement.
The Augusta <-vs-> the K1200LT
Type: 4 cylinder, 4 stroke, 16 valve <--> 4 cylinder, 4 stroke, 16 valve
Total displacement: 998 cm3 <--> 1172 cm3
Compression ratio: 13:1 <--> 10.8:1
Bore x stroke: 76 mm x 55 mm <--> 75 mm x 70.5 mm
Max. horse power 174hp @ 11900rpm <--> 98hp @ 6750rpm
Max. torque - r.p.m.: 111Nm @ 10000rpm. <--> 115Nm @ 4750rpm
Dry weight: F4 1000 R 1+1: 189 Kg <--> 249Kg (without pillion)
Maximum speed: 187 mph <--> 130 mph

Notice that the biggest difference is a shorter stroke. Maybe I could go into the business of selling crankshaft kits for the LT. On paper it looks like you could add 76 horses and 57 mph to top speed to the LT with such a kit.
Go ahead and give it a go. Let us know how much horsepower you gain by shortening the stroke of the LT by changing only the crankshaft. :-)

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #7 of 14 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 4:32 pm

jimay,

Where can you find a 249 kilogram LT? I am going to have to send the Brown Buffalo to Jenny Craig.

BMWMOA #126325
2003 K1200LT- The Brown Buffalo
2000 VLX - The wife's
1999 Concours - Plum Crazy
1998 KX 250 + 4 others

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is mystery,
Today is a gift from God......
That's why they call it "the present".
post #8 of 14 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 4:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrowleyiv
jimay,

Where can you find a 249 kilogram LT? I am going to have to send the Brown Buffalo to Jenny Craig.
DYNO-BOOST!!...I THOUGHT BILLY MAYS PASSED AWAY.....shouting intended.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #9 of 14 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 7:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimay
------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------Snipped---------------------------------
Then how would you regain the lost displacement? No room to bore the LT out to make up for the lost stroke. If you decide to just reduce the displacement by reducing the stroke, then you need longer connecting rods, then to gain the higher compression of the Agusta, you would need different pistons.

Then to allow the engine to run well with the decreased displacement and higher compression ratio, you would have to change the fuel mapping, a difficult task at best. Then question if the LT engine could stand 10,000 plus RPM to get the horsepower rating.

Notice the torque of the Agusta is at 10,000 RPM, where the LT's is higher at less than half that.

No thanks!

Put that Agusta engine in the LT, and it would be a dog.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 14 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 8:42 pm

David,
Thank you for your inquiry. Our new crank for the LT will be out in about 10-14 days. The kit will include the new Didno-Boost chip, complete with alternate diesel mappings for the injectors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Then how would you regain the lost displacement? No room to bore the LT out to make up for the lost stroke. If you decide to just reduce the displacement by reducing the stroke, then you need longer connecting rods, then to gain the higher compression of the Agusta, you would need different pistons.
The Agusta is only 1000 cc's. We hope you will not be disappointed by the extra horsepower. The shorter stroke will also reduce the smoking after leaving the bike overnight on the side stand.

Then to allow the engine to run well with the decreased displacement and higher compression ratio, you would have to change the fuel mapping, a difficult task at best. Then question if the LT engine could stand 10,000 plus RPM to get the horsepower rating.
That's where the incredible Didno-boost chip will come in to play (complete with alternate diesel injector mappings! Just cut the brown wire!!)

Notice the torque of the Agusta is at 10,000 RPM, where the LT's is higher at less than half that.
The 10,000 rpm torque peak is reached in .0060264 seconds. Maximum torque is actually reached faster than it takes the space shuttle to reach max Q!
Thanks again for your interest in our new product. We look forward to your order when it is available. In the mean time, disassemble your LT and remove the crankshaft in preparation for the new crank.

If you are interested in joining the beta testing program for the Didno-boost chip set you can receive a pre release version of the chip that can actually be used to play a complete motorcycle game on your Atari home gaming system.

But wait there's more.....!
post #11 of 14 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 8:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
That was my initial thought as well but so far I haven't seen much in the way of Chip programmers for the LT soooooo....
http://www.rhinewest.com/ltperf.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LT%20HP%20Compare.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	23728  

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #12 of 14 Old Jul 14th, 2009, 9:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
At $60, I don't think I'd waste my money on it.

$60,, i got mine from Ebay for $25, mailed from Hungary, havent instaqlled yet as im still doing cluch repair and few additional, but ones those are done,i should instal it,,,
post #13 of 14 Old Jul 14th, 2009, 11:54 pm

I've heard of the same things are available for pick-up trucks like mine; some have said a $0.30 resistor does the same to trick the ECM into thinking it's colder outside and the result is more power due to the enriched mixture. Makes me feel sorry for the oxygen sensor.

RhineWest had a cam sprocket kit for the '05; here is what Hank had to say on K12 Pirates' Lair (2005) Click here "The Cam Kit does NOT include cams.. but instead..the kit replaces the cam sprockets. We'll offer a sprocket set (both intake and exhaust). The reason these only work best with the stock exhaust is because of the back pressure created, it helps to boost the torque. If you install these on a bike with a freeflow exhaust you will not see any gain, (for now) At the moment only have the kits for the K1200RS/GT early and late. and for the K1200LT 05 only. We will be working on the early LTs soon." Hank Arriazola.(I'm not sure if he works for Rhine West any more but a GREAT mechanic!)

Hope this helps,
Curt

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #14 of 14 Old Jul 15th, 2009, 11:22 am Thread Starter

I looked at the Rhine West system but as you mentioned its only for very early models I don't think it would be a great Idea to try it on the newer LT's and at 400+ I don't think it would be wise to lay out that amount of cash at least until they show a newer chart with a model from the last couple of years.

The concept is simple and if it works as advertised or even it generates 5 more hp I think it would be money well spent. I've seen the setup for simple resistor tricking the ecm the only problem is that it takes a fair amount of fiddling to find the sweet spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacolt
I've heard of the same things are available for pick-up trucks like mine; some have said a $0.30 resistor does the same to trick the ECM into thinking it's colder outside and the result is more power due to the enriched mixture. Makes me feel sorry for the oxygen sensor.

RhineWest had a cam sprocket kit for the '05; here is what Hank had to say on K12 Pirates' Lair (2005) Click here "The Cam Kit does NOT include cams.. but instead..the kit replaces the cam sprockets. We'll offer a sprocket set (both intake and exhaust). The reason these only work best with the stock exhaust is because of the back pressure created, it helps to boost the torque. If you install these on a bike with a freeflow exhaust you will not see any gain, (for now) At the moment only have the kits for the K1200RS/GT early and late. and for the K1200LT 05 only. We will be working on the early LTs soon." Hank Arriazola.(I'm not sure if he works for Rhine West any more but a GREAT mechanic!)

Hope this helps,
Curt

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in