My LT is halfway home!(long) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 8:54 am Thread Starter

My LT is halfway home!(long)

I picked up my new to me 2003 LT in Austin, TX last weekend and drove it 1000 miles to Atlanta. Leaving it there at a relatives home until I can clear the decks here at home in NY. The bike had gone only 200mi since the 12K service so after I cleared a few cobwebs off her, installed a new battery and had the local BMW dealer give it the once over it seemed good to go. I thought it would be a big adjustment period after the test ride as the LT was so different from my Valk. After just a short time on the road, that turned out not to be the case. The LT doesn't lay down the power and torque like the Valk, but it does everything else so well that I didn't miss it. It was if we were old friends that were reunited. This was a trip that was mostly slab! If weather and time had permitted, I could have ridden for days. Can't wait to get it into the mountains.

Observations:
-I'm 6'0" with a 34" reach but the grips still seem a tad far away. I developed a bit of discomfort in the shoulder and upper back. An adjustment period perhaps? Time will tell. I did inquire at the BMW dealer though, how do people of different dimensions deal with the "one size fits all" handlebar position.
-I'll have to check the canister and hoses before I ride up. Big whoosh when I removed the gas cap to refill.
-Trip computer indicated 77mph avg. speed, but only 37mpg. I expected more based on the claims I've read here.
-Absolutely phenomenal brakes!
-Cruise control...How did I live without this?
-Great sound system...Damn, I forgot my CDs
-Being able to adjust the windshield height on the fly. Wow
-Have to get the Ottomans before I leave Atlanta
-The kickstand is ridiculous. If someone comes up with an aftermarket replacement they'll make a fortune.

I'm going to have to eventually replace the chrome strip on the left saddlebag. It has a small rash from falling over.
The black crashbar cover could be replaced also but I'll wait til I condition myself to not dropping the damn thing(once so far in front of the hotel coming off the centerstand).
The PO somehow lost the height adjustment bar off the seat. Could use one if anyone has it laying around and doesn't need it.

Hopefully I can sell the Valk in the next few weeks, then get a few clear days to bring her home.

I can't wait!

"Smitty"
'07 GT CGM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 9:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool78
I picked up my new to me 2003 LT in Austin, ..........
Congratulations on you new bike!!!

I wouldn't replace that chrome strip for a year or so. If your human you'll drop it too. I don't recommend using the side stand if you can help it...and if you do, place the bike in first gear and roll forward before putting her on the stand....or you'll be replacing that chrome strip again....

Good luck!!!

Justin Case
02 BMW K1200LTE
97 Kawasaki Concours
81 Honda Goldwing

post #3 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 9:45 am

I find that with the seat in the low position the bars are a reach
and if the PO lost the adjustment bar then that is where it is set
it also bothers my back seems to tip me backwards and it becomes uncomfortable quickly
enjoy the bike

Mike in Pittsburgh

2000 K1200LT Canyon Red
1983 Honda GL650I Silverwing Interstate

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 10:02 am

Smitty,
Welcome to the club! 37 mpg is not that good normally. But I see your average speed was 77mph. I figure you must have been driving in the high eighties and nineties to achieve that. Sounds like you were having fun and driving the bike as it was designed. However, that much fun translates into less mpg. Have that fuel problem fixed before you ride her again. Its only a 15 minute job!

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #5 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 10:14 am

Smile

Quote:
I can't wait!
Congrats on the new ride! You will settle into it like a comfy chair in time. I pray for you many safe and happy miles!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #6 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 10:44 am

Congrats, where did you find an LT in Texas? I went all the way to Enterprise, Alabama and rode it back to Texas. Did you go to Lone Star BMW in Austin, I really like those guys. I am about 6'1" and it is a lot more comfy if you raise the saddle. Good luck and be safe.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #7 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 10:51 am

Quote:
-I'll have to check the canister and hoses before I ride up. Big whoosh when I removed the gas cap to refill.
Definitely get that taken care of immediately! That could be part of your mileage issue, but more importantly it can collapse the tank enough to dent the fuel level float tube and make your fuel level gage read wrong.

I thought the handlebar position was perfect, with 31" sleeve length. This is much like seats though, no one ergonomic feature can "fit all". I loved the stock seat too, did MANY 1,000 mile plus days on it, but some cannot stand it.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 11:18 am Thread Starter

Yes, I did go to Lone Star BMW in Austin. I spoke to Tim(Service Mgr.) a few times on the phone to set the stage in case I needed anything on short notice after I examined the bike. They were great! Thought I might need a rear tire installed based on the PO's description but it had enough to make the trip. I did need a battery though, and they were ready with a new hot one after a phone call. Then, I drove the bike over them and Tim took it out for a ride and said everything felt and looked ok. Can't say enough about how well I was treated. Didn't ask for a nickel. Just shook my hand and said "Good Luck on your trip".

Definitely will deal with the cannister first thing.

I found the stock seat to be fairly comfortable even though it was a bit too low for me. Hoping someone has an adjustment bar they're willing to part with so I can install it and raise the seat. Perhaps I should put a WTB in the classifieds.

"Smitty"
'07 GT CGM
post #9 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 1:23 pm

Cool

Smitty: I have an 03 LTE, just did 24K service, I also was getting 35-38 mpg, found 7 tight valves, after adjustments, mpg went to 47 mpg, with gust up to 100mph. on that tank of gas, I had even better when I slowed down on the rest of the trip home.

After cannisterectomy, if no improvement might check valves.

BTW not usual to find that many tight valves at that odo. I also was frustrated with mpg before service.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #10 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 1:35 pm Thread Starter

This bike just had it's 12K service! Isn't a valve check/adjustment part of that service?
Having said that...If I didn't do it myself or stand by and watch someone do it, I don't consider it done! Before I bring home, I'll give attention to some specific things. Once I get it home, it gets stripped naked and thoroughly gone over.

Slow down? Hmmm...Hadn't thought about that.

"Smitty"
'07 GT CGM
post #11 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 5:06 pm

Check before Cannisterectomy

First thing you want to check is the vent line from the cannister that goes down behind the license plate to the back of the bike. My bike started having the vent lock so I proceeded to perform the cannisterctomy.

Once I had it all apart and was ready to remove it I saw that line. Layed on the ground looked up under the rear of the bike and lo and behold the tire had rubbed through 50% of the rubber hose and the melted rubber had plugged up the hose.

I still performed the cannistectomy because I had it all apart, but if I had found this first I probably wouldn't have done it then.

Congrats on the new ride. I can't wait to be able to start riding mine!

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in