Speed Bleeders - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 9:23 pm Thread Starter

Red face Speed Bleeders

Just ordered 5 speed bleeders for the '99 LT. Had a look and can find the 3 for the Brembo brakes, the one for the clutch, but where does the fifth belong. Had a look at the workshop manual but it does not provide any useful information.

Thanks from one who is mechanically challenged.

Colin Sweeny
Australia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 9:50 pm

There are 2 bleed screws on the rear caliper.

One on each of the front calipers. And of course the clutch behind the right side panel.

2000 K1200LTC - Mighty Matilda
2003 KLR650

There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 9:59 pm Thread Starter

Red face

Thanks for the assist. Didn't realise there were 2 in the rear caliper. You mention the clutch is behind the right side panel (is that the right side when sitting on the bike). If that is so, is it situated near the battery? What does it look like when looking in the side of the bike. I am getting the Sayegh videos, but don't know how soon they will turn up.

Thanks again for your help.

Colin Sweeny
Australia

post #4 of 19 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 11:15 pm

That would be the right side of the bike when you're sitting on it. It's behind the upper tupperware. It is a hose that comes from the clutch slave cylinder. The fitting should have a rubber sleeve around it, and wire tired to the "tip-over-wing" frame.

The hose has a grub screw fitting on the end. try to picture this. A hose with a fitting, with an adapter for a grub screw (similar to what was in the front brake before you replaced the grub screw adaptor with a Speed Bleeder). You can remove the screw from the end of the adapter and install a standard bleed screw (that's what was in mine), but if you want to install the Speed Bleeder, you will need to remove the adapter.

IMPORTANT: I opted not to install the Speed Bleeder in the end of the hose. I left the standard bleed screw in. When I removed the bleed screw from the adapter, the Speed Bleeder would not fit into the subsequent hole. I later read where the adapter has to come off, but also read a post on this board where one of our colleagues managed to force a leak in the hose trying to get the adapter off and install the Speed Bleeder. I got scared and just used the mini-vac to flush the clutch hydraulics.

The Sayegh videos are great. They'll walk you through a lot of this.

Good luck,

Bill B

2003 KLR650

There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 1:10 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Thanks Bill. Have ordered the speed bleeder for the Clutch so will probably try installing it once I have removed the adapter.

Regards

Colin Sweeny
Australia
post #6 of 19 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 7:39 am
CWF

I'm the dummy Bill mentioned who damaged his vent line trying to remove the adapter.....you don't want to damage that line. Took me two weeks to get a replacement hose and about 6 to 8 hours to replace it because the rear drive and swingarm has to be removed to get to it!!!

I think one of my mistakes was trying to remove the adapter without heating it first. The factory uses some sort of lock tight on this connection and actually tells you in the service manual to use a heat gun to warm the part if you are going to remove it. I did this with the replacement vent hose I ordered (before I put it on the bike!!) and it made the job easier.
post #7 of 19 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 8:13 am

'02 speed bleeders

I found out the hard way that the '02 has an '02 specific speed bleeder'. the others flat don't fit the clutch line. I didn't try anything on the brake bleeders, took it to the dealer for that.
post #8 of 19 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 11:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWF
I'm the dummy Bill mentioned who damaged his vent line trying to remove the adapter......
CWF,

Thanks for blazing this trail for us. I thought the Speed Bleeder went in the end of the adapter. I took the bleed screw out, but I couldn't push the Speed Bleeder down into the hole far enough to engage the threads.

At least now I know what to do, and better yet... what not to do! Sorry you had to learn the hard way, but the rest of us have benefitted from it.

Bill B.

2003 KLR650

post #9 of 19 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 11:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwchfc
I found out the hard way that the '02 has an '02 specific speed bleeder'. the others flat don't fit the clutch line. I didn't try anything on the brake bleeders, took it to the dealer for that.
Uh, so, uh, can someone tell me exactly what speed bleeder will work for the '02? The chart on the speedbleer web site is a little vague on the K bikes, and nothing is listed under the clutch column.

Especially anyone who has bought the bleeders for an '02 and can confirm the correct sizes for the brakes for me, that would be great too.

Many thanks!

Michael

Life is too short to compromise on your toys.

Current collection:

'08 R1200GS Namabia Orange
'08 335 Coupe
'11 535 Sedan (on order)
post #10 of 19 Old May 9th, 2006, 3:30 pm

Cool

Wow. I posted that question in February, and still no reply!

Am I the only DIY'er with an '02 on this board?

Michael

Life is too short to compromise on your toys.

Current collection:

'08 R1200GS Namabia Orange
'08 335 Coupe
'11 535 Sedan (on order)
post #11 of 19 Old May 9th, 2006, 4:05 pm

You need the SB1010S bleeders as per http://www.speedbleeder.com/Motorcycle Sizes.htm#BMW

The clutch is the same as the brakes.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #12 of 19 Old May 9th, 2006, 4:35 pm

Actually, the Speed Bleeder will fit in stock adaptor but you have to push in on it to get the threads to engage. The tip of the Speed Bleeder touches the adaptor check valve ball before the threads engage so enough pressure to push the ball in a bit is required. I chose to remove the bleeder and reinstall the plug as the manual calls for so I wasn't concerned about whether there were enough threads engaged to safely leave the bleeder installed.
post #13 of 19 Old May 9th, 2006, 4:49 pm

I have three SB1010S speed bleeders (unopened package) that I bought and didn't use. Anybdoy interested? Make me an offer.

Tolman

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #14 of 19 Old May 10th, 2006, 9:01 am
IBR# 366

Garage
A dealer used a speed bleeder on the clutch in my '02, and left it there when they were done. Never had a problem with it in 2 years and 40K+ miles. Made it much easier when we changed out my slave cylinder.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 19 Old May 16th, 2006, 5:09 pm

Nope - I've an '02 - but not speedbleeders here, yet.

Waiting for this gem of info too

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #16 of 19 Old May 27th, 2006, 11:19 pm

I had ordered the speed bleeders and got around to installing them this weekend on my 2001 after having new tires mounted. The right front caliper has the adapter. I tried removing the adapter and it just broke off. An easy out did not work. Dealer said about 50% of the adapters break when trying to remove it and told me to just order a new front right caliper.

I have drilled out most of the insert, but the threads still seem stuck or glued in place.

Has anyone else been through this and what did you do?

Current
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)

Previous
2001 K1200LT Pacific Blue
and a long list...
post #17 of 19 Old May 28th, 2006, 12:04 am

Thumbs down Awww Mannnnn !!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspyder

I have drilled out most of the insert, but the threads still seem stuck or glued in place.

Has anyone else been through this and what did you do?
Never had the breakage problem. I was just lucky on mine I guess.
What I did notice was that they used a ton of Locktite. Took abour 300 deg. F to get it to break free. Try a little heat? Sounds as if you don't have a lot to lose.

Good Luck!

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone
post #18 of 19 Old May 28th, 2006, 11:08 pm

Thanks for the advice. I heated the caliper up in the oven to 225F and could not get the thing to budge. Found a used caliper from deep6cycle that was less than half the cost of a new one from BMW.

I am still thinking about trying to remove the adapter on the new one I am getting.

Current
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)

Previous
2001 K1200LT Pacific Blue
and a long list...
post #19 of 19 Old May 29th, 2006, 12:39 am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspyder
Thanks for the advice. I heated the caliper up in the oven to 225F and could not get the thing to budge. Found a used caliper from deep6cycle that was less than half the cost of a new one from BMW.

I am still thinking about trying to remove the adapter on the new one I am getting.
Roger,
It is rather difficult to guess what grade of Locktite the factory used to "hold" the adaptor in. More than likely used what we would call "permanent" grade and that will require about 300 deg F to get it to break free. When you do get it to move it will come hard all the way. Start out by working it carefully. Go easy and take your time. Careful with the heat but keep it hot. Get a decent wrench on it and twist only. (Even a good pair of Vise Grips will work here.) Don't side load the adaptor. That will cause it to break off also. IIRC the adaptor is made of aluminum so apply torque accordingly.

Good Luck

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in