Is This a Warranty Item - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 2:29 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down Is This a Warranty Item

If you have had your throttle cables replaced under warranty, I would like to know.

I have an '03 LTE with 33,000 miles and my cruise control has the 'I don't like to work when it's cold' problem. I took it in to my dealer yesterday (They will remain nameless at this point) and they say my throttle cables are stretched and are the cause of the cruise control not working. I said fine replace whatever it needs. But they say the throttle cables are not a warranty item and I'll have to pay.

What do you think?

Joe Buttress
Plain Washington
2003 LTE
IBA SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetomotor
If you have had your throttle cables replaced under warranty, I would like to know.

I have an '03 LTE with 33,000 miles and my cruise control has the 'I don't like to work when it's cold' problem. I took it in to my dealer yesterday (They will remain nameless at this point) and they say my throttle cables are stretched and are the cause of the cruise control not working. I said fine replace whatever it needs. But they say the throttle cables are not a warranty item and I'll have to pay.

What do you think?
Just about no question, a non-warranty wear-item. In fact, IIRC BMWNA has some pretty clear service bulletin guidance to this effect, even with relatively low mileage cables. Sorry to be the bearer of the bad news.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #3 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 2:56 pm

That's what I hate about warranties...

"We'll fix anything EXCEPT what will likely break or wear out during the warranty period."

Warranty should be warranty.. If it doesn't work right and the bike is under warranty then it should be fixed.... Under Warranty !

Another shouting match with the dealer ensues !

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 3:01 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspen
That's what I hate about warranties...

"We'll fix anything EXCEPT what will likely break or wear out during the warranty period."

Warranty should be warranty.. If it doesn't work right and the bike is under warranty then it should be fixed.... Under Warranty !

Another shouting match with the dealer ensues !

John
Throttle cables wear out. So do tires and brake pads. Should these be warranty items also??

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #5 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 3:21 pm

My dealer replaced my throttle cables without me even asking them to do it. No big deal, right?! Well...about two weeks later I had one fail on me. I used a radiator clamp to gimp back home. (Cruise control is great, isn't it?) I called the dealer and they offered to come and get the bike. I told them that wasn't necessary, but I needed to bring it in right away because I was leaving on a trip in a couple of days. They replaced the cables again at no cost to me...again.

I realize your situation is a little different. But I think the dealer should work with you a little on this. Call me naive.
post #6 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 3:32 pm

Joe,
Keep your eyes on the NW forum. We should be having a tech session soon. Several of us have either seen or done a cable replacement and can help you out if needed.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #7 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 3:32 pm

Safety issue?

Throttle cable binding can cause problems. If it fails to "engage", might it fail to "disengage"... and "weren't you guys supposed to check that at the 12 and 24k service intervals?"

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 3:34 pm

Hey Ted.

Tires and Brakes are items that can be affected directly by the way you treat the bike.. On the other hand a cable is a cable and it should be designed in such a way that it doesn't quickly wear out.There's a stop on each end of travel, You can only twist the throttle so far before it hits the stop. You shouldn't be able to load the throttle cable in such a way that it causes it to stretch and fail. If so then it wasn't designed correctly.The closed stop is on the throttle body. The open stop should be on the twist grip...Yes, throttle cables break, eventually,,,,,, but shouldn't under the warranty period...IMHO

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #9 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 6:22 pm

Had my throttle cables replaced by my dealer at 18K miles. Dealer (CalMoto) said it is under warranty since it is within the 3/36 BMW warranty. I also have extended warranty after the 3/36 which expires in 2010 and cables ARE covered too..... Feel free to mention CalMoto's (California BMW) stand on this.
post #10 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 7:15 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Mine were replaced under warranty, but that was several years back. BMW did have a Service Bulletin out that referred to upgraded throttle cables, but that had a cut-off date of 12/2003 IIRC. A small BMW shop run by real riders swapped them out when I was having some other work done, before I remembered to ask them about it. Sadly, that dealer no longer exists, replaced by a boutique shop located in a BMW auto dealership.

I doubt you'll have as much luck now, but it can't hurt to try somewhere else. Otherwise, like Brian said, we'll have another PNW tech session soon enough.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in