Hoping someone help identify these wires? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 11:46 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 18
Red face Hoping someone can help identify these connectors

I've got my '05 LT apart to install the CB. Am curious as to what the connectors in the attached pics are for. The white connector only has one white wire on it. The black connector has a white and an orange wire on it. Want to try and avoid taking my bike apart again and am thinking of bringing these out if it looks like they are needed for futures..(GPS/Radar detector or XM) radio. OOPS, forgot to mention... These come from the VcomII.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black connector.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	1664   Click image for larger version

Name:	white connector.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	381.9 KB
ID:	1665  

Last edited by jimmyb; Jan 25th, 2006 at 12:32 am.
jimmyb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 8:04 am
Senior Member
 
bruce2000ltc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO, USA
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb
I've got my '05 LT apart to install the CB. Am curious as to what the connectors in the attached pics are for. The white connector only has one white wire on it. The black connector has a white and an orange wire on it. Want to try and avoid taking my bike apart again and am thinking of bringing these out if it looks like they are needed for futures..(GPS/Radar detector or XM) radio. OOPS, forgot to mention... These come from the VcomII.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim
The one wire white connector should be connected to the Y-cable -- this supplies the speed signal for the auto-volume on your Voice II. The black connector with orange & white wires is audio in for BMW GPS.

Bruce Hodges
bruce2000ltc is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 9:49 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 18
Thanks Bruce, I appreciate your words of wisdom. Seems like my bike did not come with a y cable as nothing was plugged into the white connector. Odd that it didn't have a plug on it. Under the stingray there was another connector (Pic attached). I beleive this is an accessory plug. Do you know where/how it is used? Sure appreciate your help, I have a bunch of manuals (VCComII install manual, etc) but they don't seem very clear on some of the connections.

Thanks again,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Accessory Plug1.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	741.3 KB
ID:	1666  
jimmyb is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 7:35 pm
Senior Member
 
bruce2000ltc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO, USA
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb
Thanks Bruce, I appreciate your words of wisdom. Seems like my bike did not come with a y cable as nothing was plugged into the white connector. Odd that it didn't have a plug on it. Under the stingray there was another connector (Pic attached). I beleive this is an accessory plug. Do you know where/how it is used? Sure appreciate your help, I have a bunch of manuals (VCComII install manual, etc) but they don't seem very clear on some of the connections.

Thanks again,
You're right, that's the accessory plug. The Y-cable plugs into this plug and connects to the white (one wire) plug, and the other part of the Y is for the BMW GPS (supplies power). I tapped into that power source for my non-BMW 2610 GPS and my radar detector. I also tapped into the two wire plug (orange & white) for the audio in from my radar detector.
As you already know, you don't need the Y-cable for the Voice II to work. You just don't have the speed volume control function.

Bruce Hodges
bruce2000ltc is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old Feb 25th, 2009, 11:50 am
Member
 
yeoman_kp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Clarkston, MI, USA
Posts: 61
Re: Hoping someone help identify these wires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce2000ltc
You're right, that's the accessory plug. The Y-cable plugs into this plug and connects to the white (one wire) plug, and the other part of the Y is for the BMW GPS (supplies power). I tapped into that power source for my non-BMW 2610 GPS and my radar detector. I also tapped into the two wire plug (orange & white) for the audio in from my radar detector.
As you already know, you don't need the Y-cable for the Voice II to work. You just don't have the speed volume control function.

Bruce Hodges
I would like to use this switched power source for my GPS and CB also. Do you know where I can obtain a mating connector part that will plug into this connector on my '05 LT? I would also need to know which wires in the accessory connector are the + and - power leads.
yeoman_kp is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old Feb 25th, 2009, 2:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
bblalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Swansboro(area), NC, USA
Posts: 650
Cool Re: Hoping someone help identify these wires?

Yeoman,
I just wired my 276C to my '08 but I picked up the power off the running marker/turn signal. My power wire has a fuse in it and if I had taken power from under the stingray and it blows then it is a real deal to replace. It is up front and easy to get to now.
On the wires under the stingray the brown was ground and directly opposite(3 wires going to the plug) was the +. I almost used those.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
bblalock is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HI LO HID Installation on 99 K1200LT With Pics ! JPSpen Lighting 37 Jul 13th, 2008 12:44 am
Eletrical showing 5.04v on one pair of wires strsout K1200LT 7 Jan 22nd, 2006 6:08 pm
Finding power wires on the radio strsout Batteries, Chargers, & Electrical 0 Jan 22nd, 2006 3:44 pm
Eaten wires airborne K1200LT 10 Oct 30th, 2005 1:40 pm
Trying to identify a certain tank pannier mfg Jeffro Other Stuff 1 Oct 23rd, 2005 10:40 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome