Help On Starter Solenoid - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 8:32 pm Thread Starter

Help On Starter Solenoid

Jump started my 1999 K1200LT with car running which caused a direct short. The dealer informed me this shorts out solenoid and sometimes the starter. Like to take a look myself first. need advise for removal of tupperware and any other information relating to problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 8:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsilvers
Jump started my 1999 K1200LT with car running which caused a direct short. The dealer informed me this shorts out solenoid and sometimes the starter. Like to take a look myself first. need advise for removal of tupperware and any other information relating to problem.
That doesn't make any sense. How can you have a "direct short" with jump starting? He must mean that you've burned out the solenoid or starter with the current/voltage spike.

What kind of symtoms are you getting? Is the bike turning over? When you turn the ignition to "on" do you see dash lights come on and do you hear the fuel pump? What happens when you push the starter? Any sound at all, like a 'click' sound? I'll have to review the schematics later and see what could go in that circuit.

Nate
post #3 of 10 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 9:06 pm

It is most likely the starter relay. The relay is located under the fuel tank which entails removing the side panels and radio, along with the seat cross member. BMW upgraded the starter relays with an electronic version sometime during the model year 2001. If you tackle it, it would be best to change out the air filter while you are there.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 10:47 am

I also have a 99 LT (new owner) and I've managed to do the same thing. I'm stationed in Guantanamo Bay and keep my bike in Jacksonville, FL. I'm in Jax usually once or twice a week and ride when I can. The last time I was there, my bike had a dead battery, so I jumped it with my jeep. It appears there's a design flaw in the starter relay, which caused itself to stick/weld in the on position......so now, whenever I hook up cables to the bike, the starter immediately turns over. Key in, key out.....doesn't matter, it turns over whenever juice is applied. If I turn the key on, the bike will start, but I can hear the starter still whirring along under all that plastic with the motor running.

There's a thread around here talking about a temp fix for the problem without changing the relay...which is the "correct" fix. It involves removing your dead battery and charging it out of the bike (I'm just going to buy a new one...It's due anyway.), then putting it back in. When the bike tries to turn over, with the ignition on, press and release the starter button and it is supposed to unstick your starter relay. It looks like a decent amount of folks have had luck with this procedure. Next time I'm in Jax, I'm going to give it a try. Right now, I'm having a hard time forking out over 200 bucks for a stinkin relay.

Jason Captain
post #5 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 11:26 am

Probably user error , but that solution did not work for me when I had a similar problem
post #6 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 12:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsilvers
As others have pointed out, you have the famous starter relay contact welding problem. Get it upgraded to the new relay design, will cost you about three hundred bucks with labor if I remember correctly.

Jumping it with the car running had nothing to do with the failure. The relay contacts welded when you tried to start it with a low battery, so the problem was already there before you tried to jump start it.

The bike can be jumped just fine with a car, running or not.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 1:25 pm

Unhappy Btdt

If it makes you feel any better, only a week after buying my new (used) '99 LT the same thing happened to me - dead battery = new relay.

I was not a happy camper. Brand new bike (to me) getting towed just because it sat unused for a week. Grrrrrr.

I always plugged in the battery tender after that important lesson!

Michael

Life is too short to compromise on your toys.

Current collection:

'08 R1200GS Namabia Orange
'08 335 Coupe
'11 535 Sedan (on order)
post #8 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 3:01 pm

Some one reported installing a second relay in line, since the BMW one fused shut.

So the dealer was close. Because of a defective design, that relay fuses closed, a short.

And yes, your speedo, by design, reads higher than actual speed.

Bob
post #9 of 10 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 12:34 pm

Smile Replace Starter Relay

I have a 99 LT with 96,000 miles and have replaced the starter relay with a Ford (200 amp) starter relay. You need to wire a headlight relay (30 amp) to to activate the automotive relay because of the the 3 amp current draw of the bigger relay. Failure to do so will damage the reverser module.
Total cost is $16.00 and a couple hours.
Hope this helps.

Geo.
post #10 of 10 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 10:50 am

IT Worked!!!!! IT Worked!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcaptain24
I also have a 99 LT (new owner) and I've managed to do the same thing. I'm stationed in Guantanamo Bay and keep my bike in Jacksonville, FL. I'm in Jax usually once or twice a week and ride when I can. The last time I was there, my bike had a dead battery, so I jumped it with my jeep. It appears there's a design flaw in the starter relay, which caused itself to stick/weld in the on position......so now, whenever I hook up cables to the bike, the starter immediately turns over. Key in, key out.....doesn't matter, it turns over whenever juice is applied. If I turn the key on, the bike will start, but I can hear the starter still whirring along under all that plastic with the motor running.

There's a thread around here talking about a temp fix for the problem without changing the relay...which is the "correct" fix. It involves removing your dead battery and charging it out of the bike (I'm just going to buy a new one...It's due anyway.), then putting it back in. When the bike tries to turn over, with the ignition on, press and release the starter button and it is supposed to unstick your starter relay. It looks like a decent amount of folks have had luck with this procedure. Next time I'm in Jax, I'm going to give it a try. Right now, I'm having a hard time forking out over 200 bucks for a stinkin relay.

Jason Captain

IT WORKED!!! Worked as advertised!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in