newbie question about the K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 11:48 am Thread Starter

Smile newbie question about the K1200LT

I want to buy a touring bike and after some research, the K1200LT seems to come up as the best there is. I need a bike that I can comfortably do a 500 mile trip in a single day, twice a month, and all year round.

From all I know about it, I wouldnt hesitate to buy the K120LT, however my only query though is related to my height. Im 5.6 with a 30 inch inseam (measured from sole to crotch).

The K1200LT has a 30.3 inch floor to seat height. I sat on one in a showroom. I could just, with legs straight, get the balls of my feet on the floor. Normally I wouldnt worry, but with such a heavy bike it felt dangerous. So I am wondering - Are there any K1200LT riders out there who are as short as me? If so how do you cope?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Rosso
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 1:52 pm

Re: newbie question about the K1200LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso
I want to buy a touring bike and after some research, the K1200LT seems to come up as the best there is. I need a bike that I can comfortably do a 500 mile trip in a single day, twice a month, and all year round.

From all I know about it, I wouldnt hesitate to buy the K120LT, however my only query though is related to my height. Im 5.6 with a 30 inch inseam (measured from sole to crotch).

The K1200LT has a 30.3 inch floor to seat height. I sat on one in a showroom. I could just, with legs straight, get the balls of my feet on the floor. Normally I wouldnt worry, but with such a heavy bike it felt dangerous. So I am wondering - Are there any K1200LT riders out there who are as short as me? If so how do you cope?

Rosso
On my second K1200lt. I'm only 5ft6 in tall with 27.5 inch inseam. I only perch on the left leg. Can be hairy at times but I wouldn't give up the bike. My wife and I have put 59,000 miles on K1200lt's together. There's nothing like it. My current K1200lt is a 2009 that replaced a 7 year old Goldwing. I've dropped both K1200lt's more than once. I just pick it up, dust it off, mumble a few expletives and jump back on and ride.
Chris Bonner
post #3 of 6 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 2:50 pm

I'm 2 inches taller with the same inseam (maybe even a bit shorter). But I have a Meyer seat (thanks to the previous owner who was also inseam challenged) which does allow me to nearly flat foot both feet. I can do a good solid footing with both easily and often do only one foot (left) anyway. I raised the seat higher with the bar, just to see what it was like. I still had no problem hold the big girl up even with my wife on the back.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 3:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I'm 5'7"inseam 29", my seat has been lowered, to comfortably touch both feet flat, on the ground. not a problem .. I love this bike.03LTC.
post #5 of 6 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 7:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso

Rosso
I am 5'5' last time I measured, I am shrinking I think, 28 or 29 inseam, also have right leg 1" shorter and quite painful at times due to an old injury( I am scheduled for ankle replacement sometime this year)., also have bad knee on other side. I have no problems with feet on ground and handling the LT. I wear a boot that gives me an extra 1/2" to 3/4" on the ground, but I have taken the bike out with running shoes. Other than getting used to the top-heavy beast and the total weight overall, I don't have any problems. You seem to have more on the ground than me, just takes awhile to get used to it. I think the biggest thing to get used to is thinking ahead and planning your slow manouvers and stops.
post #6 of 6 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 8:46 pm

I'm 5'7" with a 29" inseam.
I have over 100,000 miles on my 2001 LT.
Can't flat foot it and have dropped mine several times,
because of unstable road surfaces at stops, i.e sand, gravel.
Learn to properly recover the bike (it's easy)
and it becomes a non-event.
You'll have to learn how to tame the beast at low speeds.
Just takes practice.

The bike has become an extension of me.
I think of what I want to do,
and the bike responds and provides feedback.
It's a great relationship.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in