Brake light stays on - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 5:32 pm Thread Starter

Question Brake light stays on

Hey all.. I went to the hall of wisdom but could not find anything on this specific problem which means I must not be looking hard enough because this site has answered all of my LT questions by searching old posts... My '99 brake light stays on. Anyone experience anything similar? Haven't had any electrical work however the rear main seal has just been replaced and the clutch has been renewed. Just got it back a few days ago from that job. However had a bad experience with them and am not too keen on running back there. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 5:45 pm Thread Starter

I knew I'd find it after I posted. You guys are great!

thanks
post #3 of 12 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 5:48 pm Thread Starter

Thanks bwana Dave. Yes I do hear clicks at both the hand and foot levers.

post #4 of 12 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 6:00 pm

If the brake light switch wires was not reconnected to the main harness at the plug near the rear brake fluid reservoir then the brake light will remain on.
post #5 of 12 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 6:27 pm

Does the brake light stay on when you turn the key off?
If you then pull the fuse will it go out?
If so, Mark Neblett diagnosed mine recently in a thread I can't locate as a defective relay. I have located the relay in the electrical box under the gas tank, part number 6136-1393-412, did not have one on hand but I took it out had a little prayer meeting over it, put it back in and it has been working for the last two weeks. I have a new one on order. Dick Largen was having a similar problem and I don't know if his has been fixed yet. Maybe he'll chime in.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 7:49 pm

Had the same problem on my '99 about four years ago. turned out to be the brake light relay. Replaced it and haven't had a problem with it since. Such a bear to get to.
post #7 of 12 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 9:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffklt
Does the brake light stay on when you turn the key off?
If you then pull the fuse will it go out?
If so, Mark Neblett diagnosed mine recently in a thread I can't locate as a defective relay. I have located the relay in the electrical box under the gas tank, part number 6136-1393-412, did not have one on hand but I took it out had a little prayer meeting over it, put it back in and it has been working for the last two weeks. I have a new one on order. Dick Largen was having a similar problem and I don't know if his has been fixed yet. Maybe he'll chime in.
Yeppir, Jeff. I forgot you were having the same problem 'bout the time Toad wuz acting up. And it turned out to be the brake light relay WAAAAY down in the electrical box behind the Motronic. Relay wuz just about 10 bucks at Rhinewest, and although I initially wuz gonna let Hank do the switch, he got real buzy so I decided to try it myself. Will be a piece of cake if I ever have to do it again, butt if you've got big mitts like me, it takes some cussing and threats the first time. Glad yours is working after your exorcism gig, Jeff.
post #8 of 12 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 10:45 pm

Yeah, it's under the tank with the starter realy. On the plus side it's only about 10 dollars for the relay. Doing mine this weekend, I plan to do a major service at the same time since the bike will already be naked.
post #9 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 8:53 pm Thread Starter

Well the light is now going on and off... tried just the front lever this time and the light stayed on again ... just before I shut down, light goes out.
post #10 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 11:21 pm

It's only a matter of time. Mine acted up periodically over almost a year before the relay finally stuck for good. If it's freed itself that's great but may as well plan on replacing it next time the tupperwares off.
post #11 of 12 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 12:23 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Sammy,

Where are you located? Several areas hold periodic tech sessions, and pulling the gas tank and swapping a relay isn't that tough with a little experienced help.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 12 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 10:00 pm Thread Starter

I'm in The Bronx on the Mt. Vernon border.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in