6 Cd Changer Skipping Baddly-fix - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 9:33 am Thread Starter

6 Cd Changer Skipping Baddly-fix

For the past few months my CD changer has been skipping badly enough that I deemed it unusable. I spoke to my local dealer to see if they knew of any fixes but drew a blank. They suggested buying a new one or taking it to a local audio dealer. Neither of which I was prepared to do. No confidence in either.

So after striking out with getting any help I decided to go in for a look to see if I could identify any problems. I had searched the web and gotten remedies for skipping CD players, cleaning the lazer, lubricating the chrome rods that the lazer rides on, etc.

I removed the player, took the outer covers off, and then reconnected it to the bike to run it through the check and get a visual. I saw no evidence of a problem as it cycled through the check. It seemed that all systems were functioning like you like it.

WHAT I DID FIND:

The carriage that houses the 6 CD cartridge and player is suspended in the unit by a spring on each end and two shock mounts on each end. I noticed that the right side of the carriage was sitting much lower than the left. As a result of the right side (this is the side with the lazer eye and slide rail) sitting low it put the carriage at the very bottom (should be centered to be most effective) of the two right end shock mounts rendering them uneffective.

THE FIX:

Now that I suspected that the right side shock mounts weren't doing their job I needed to find a way to center the carriage in the mounts. This would mean creating greater spring tension to bring the mounts back to center. I looked at the springs and their mounts and found that they do have an adjustment. It's basically a half moon shaped slot with about four or five detents that you can adjust to. I looked at the left side adjustment for comparison and it was adjusted to the very top slot of the half moon. So, I adjusted the right side spring tension to match the left and it took the carriage back to the middle of the shock mounts.

With the exception of blowing a little air inside the player I performed no other tasks other than adjusting the spring tension on the carriage.

THE RESULT:

I reinstalled the changer and took it for a test ride. The road leading to my house is relatively bumpy and has always caused me to shut down the player because it would skip the whole way. This ride however didn't result in a single skip whatsoever. I rode for a few hours and the changer performed perfectly.

Now I suppose it is possible to take a severe hit (bump) to the rear end that might knock the spring tension adjuster to the bottom detent of the half moon where mine was.

All I can tell you for sure is that I'm back in business with the 6 CD changer and it only took about an hour to diagnose and repair.

I hope this might get some of you guys back in business as well.

BuddyP
"The Carolinas"
2003 LTC "Black Beauty"
aka "Tha Motha Ship"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 10:11 am

Re: 6 Cd Changer Skipping Baddly-fix

Interesting, good job.
post #3 of 9 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 10:20 am

My compliments to your mechanical ability and patience.

Like many others I removed the CD player
rather than tolerate the poor performance and to have more space in the side bag.

I now have two of them sitting on the shelf.

I tried the XM it's alright but still has some drawbacks,
The ultimate cure (for me) is an Ipod, plugged into the Aux of my intercom I can use the handlebar volume controls and have over 1500 songs to choose from, CD players are for sale (cheap)

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #4 of 9 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 10:21 am

My fix: buy an Ipod and ICE and join the rest of us in the 21st century.

Seriously though, excellent job of actually FIXING something instead of just about like everyone else who just gives up.

( I've got one gathering dust with exactly the same symptoms you described.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #5 of 9 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 10:48 am

Good job!

Thanks for sharing.

Mine is starting to skip more than it used to, believe I'll take a look at it and see.

B D R
post #6 of 9 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 5:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Yo buddyp, guess I'll be a pullin' my changer out of dry dock. Wish I had your critical eye.

Thanks
post #7 of 9 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 8:58 pm

Another tip is when creating your own CDs only put twelve tracks / 60minutes of songs on the disk.

It will skip when the eye has to read the outer edge of the CD.

I listen to XM more than anything else.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #8 of 9 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 9:06 pm

I listen to XM. Removed the CD player a long time ago for the extra room.

Good work on the fix though, and glad it worked for you!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #9 of 9 Old Jun 14th, 2009, 7:28 am

A past problem was that BMW put too long screws in the brackets on the side of the changer. It is marked on the side to use 4MM max length screws, but someone at the factory put 10MM long ones in on occasion. Always something to check first when one is skipping.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in