13.44 - 44/48 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 5:55 am Thread Starter

13.44 - 44/48

Just nice numbers to know!

I see these numbers or number close when I crank up the K1200 LT because of the members of this forum. The 13.44 ( it can drop to as low as 9-10 volts as the bike fires up) or close to it is what my volt ohm meter reads after the bike is running and the SmartTire reads my tire pressure. I have volt OHM meter wired to the dash light so that when the key is turned on, it reads the battery voltage, as I fire up the bike, it reads the draw voltage and then the running voltage.

It really is nice to know the numbers and adds a lot to my riding pleasure. It's also nice to know that when the bike starts to rides "differently" and I'm wondering if it is the road conditions or low tire, that I can instantly check without getting off of the bike and trying to check the pressure on the side of the road.

When the volt OHM meter was first installed, it was a distraction, but after a while, it's just there to be read when I feel like it. The SmartTire reads the tire pressure as soon as I start to roll and is a nice reinforcement.

Just thought I'd share a thanks and tell what these two nice additions do for my ride. A search will give the details on both products

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 7:55 am

Re: 13.44 - 44/48

+1 Dan - on both units. Ole Toad has had 'em for years and they're just a part of the ride that increases the comfort level without a hassle. Makes one wonder why facto-doods don't make 'em equipped as standard?! I mean, ALL of 'em standard.
post #3 of 15 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 8:59 am
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Dan, what are you reading with the OHM part of the meter?

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger

post #4 of 15 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 5:04 pm Thread Starter

Jim,

I'm not sure of your question. When the key is in the first position, I think it is reading the voltage charge of the battery which is around 13.5 or so. When I crank up the beast, it might drop to around 9-10 temporally and then as it fires it is reading the charge voltage of around 13.6 +. ( I think!)

I have it wired to the dash light, as others have and I think that is what I am reading....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #5 of 15 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 8:24 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

A Volt/OHM meter is capable of reading volts and OHMs (resistance). I understand the reasoning for having a good volt meter on the bike, but the OHM part has me confused.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #6 of 15 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 9:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
A Volt/OHM meter is capable of reading volts and OHMs (resistance). I understand the reasoning for having a good volt meter on the bike, but the OHM part has me confused.
I re-read my original post and it should have read, Volt meter" not Volt OHM meter... sorry my mistake. I don't think there is a reason to read OHM..... Can't figure out where that came from..

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #7 of 15 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 10:02 pm

Good set up and your voltages are good... Most autos charge about 14.2 to 14.7..... A lead acid battery can safely take a 15.2 charge all day.. It take at least 1.5 + to charge the batt. rolling down the road..

When I was a CB nut back in the day I'd take 3 12volt batt. for 18 volts then set the regulator to 20.5 to 21 volts... then when I'd key against some body I'd turn the voltage up to 24volt,, That way when there was no DX I could make my own coast to coast!!! And ground waving a hundred miles is pretty cool too!! Anyway............Pete
post #8 of 15 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 10:46 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I re-read my original post and it should have read, Volt meter" not Volt OHM meter... sorry my mistake. I don't think there is a reason to read OHM..... Can't figure out where that came from..

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #9 of 15 Old Jun 14th, 2009, 9:41 am

I have the voltage display on my LT and find it very "assuring".

Since reading this post I decided to do a little research on tire pressure monitoring systems,
it seems the Smartire is no longer produced according to their website,
if this is such a great product why did they stop making it?

I also checked into the Doran system ($225) with little transmitters that screw onto their specific valve stem,
that doesn't sound like a real good idea to me,
the extra weight will probably affect the tire balance,
I learned early on in my motorcycle education that "things screwed onto valve stems" eventually cause problems.

I just read something (don't remember exactly what) about some decorative Pighead valve stems that caused a problem maybe Motorman will elaborate on that if he reads this thread.

The other issue is that I have a spare set of rims,
my usual is to have a new set of tires mounted as the others start to wear down,
that would involve two sets of monitoring systems and for close to five hundred dollars
I think I can bend my fat ass down to check the tire pressure a few more times.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #10 of 15 Old Jun 14th, 2009, 4:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have my C-Volt meter wired direct to the battery. This way I can see battery condition anytime I walk by the bike. I can also see the voltage the battery charger is putting out.

Smartire wanted to concentrate on the larger business of over the road trucks.
They have since sold the business to Bendix.

Hans, I agree. Nothing goes on the valve stem but a metal cap.
I have the same problem with extra rims. I have managed to buy a few extra systems
on E-bay.
Still some of the best money I have spent on the bike.

dan
post #11 of 15 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 1:49 pm

Hey if you guys have a pic of the volt meter and where you mounted it I would appreciate seeing it. I'm assuming just about any type of volt meter would work. Would have been handy a couple of weeks ago. I hooked up the trickle charger the nite before my trip. The next day, I hit the starter button, all lites went out and nothing happened. Finally figured it to be low voltage and feared I would need to replace the battery. The trickle charger had been accidently set @ 6volts thus discharging the Odyssey AGM. I put the battery on a 20 amp charge for 1 hr and it hasn't looked back. A dash mounted volt meter would have told me that starting voltage was low and made diagnosis a lot simpler.
post #12 of 15 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 8:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
All hand held volt meters have an ohm meter included. Packaged as a VOM. I got it, no questions.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #13 of 15 Old Jun 16th, 2009, 8:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

I like being able to see the voltage with the ignition on before the engine start. I think that reading gives the best indication of battery condition. The other reading I think is pretty cool is running the cruise control and seeing the voltage bump up and down a 1/10 volt or so as the servo motor adjusts.

post #14 of 15 Old Jun 16th, 2009, 2:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognot
Hey if you guys have a pic of the volt meter and where you mounted it I would appreciate seeing it. I'm assuming just about any type of volt meter would work. Would have been handy a couple of weeks ago. I hooked up the trickle charger the nite before my trip. The next day, I hit the starter button, all lites went out and nothing happened. Finally figured it to be low voltage and feared I would need to replace the battery. The trickle charger had been accidently set @ 6volts thus discharging the Odyssey AGM. I put the battery on a 20 amp charge for 1 hr and it hasn't looked back. A dash mounted volt meter would have told me that starting voltage was low and made diagnosis a lot simpler.
A search will reveal several different installations that were posted in the past month or so. Mine is where the alarm light was located. I then moved the alarm light up.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #15 of 15 Old Jun 16th, 2009, 2:33 pm Thread Starter

Initially the voltage was a distraction and then the novelty wore off and I use it occasionally. Just pretty to look at!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in