Me880,s are great to hit wood at 85 mph - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jun 12th, 2009, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

Me880,s are great to hit wood at 85 mph

Last year I had an ME 880 rear loose a chunk of rubber, always inflated and 3 years old. So I was a little peeved. Yesterday I had a brand new ME 880 front (260 miles) tire hit a piece of dunnage, a 4"x4" piece of wood at 85. Blew the mirrors off and broke the tie wrap on one, so that s$370 for a new mirror. The front rim bent outward enough that it wore trough the break lines and leak on the caliper. And screwed up the banjo bolts. Thats around $160 plus a dealer bleed of the system. Now hears the surprise. I chopped the gas, used no brake and slowed down and came to a stop with out even a shudder of the front end. When I got off and inspected the tire I realized that the impact blew all the air out immediately. Love that side wall strength. Total retail damages at $2700.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jun 12th, 2009, 9:42 pm

Re: Me880,s are great to hit wood at 85 mph

Glad your safe! Did it blow out the front and rear or only the front? How did the bike handle it?

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #3 of 10 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 4:16 am

You Sir are a very lucky man.

Glad you were able to walk away from it. Your life is worth a lot more than $3000.

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!

post #4 of 10 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 8:14 am

+1 You are lucky and don't ya just love that bike

Greg and Melanie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06 BMW K12LT "WANDRR"
05 DL1000 "WNDRR2"
02 Triumph Trophy 1200 "WNDRR3", in Heidelburg

WANDRR Motorcycle Tours
wandrrmotorcycletours.com
BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE
post #5 of 10 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 9:49 am

Wow, you are a lucky man! Gotta love the Metz.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #6 of 10 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 10:02 am

Question Re: Me880,s are great to hit wood at 85 mph

Shouldn't your insurance cover that, minus your deductible of course?
Glad you came out unscathed!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 10 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 10:51 am
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Shouldn't your insurance cover that, minus your deductible of course?
Make sure to tell the insurance company that the piece of wood was MOVING (as in another vehicle struck it first and sent it in your direction, or fell off a truck, etc..).

I hit a piece of tire that had come to rest on it's edge, so it was high enough to hit and damage the front spoiler of my car. Luckily the insurance agent was kind enough to point out this technicality, because since the tire was at rest Farmer's Insurance didn't have to pay.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #8 of 10 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 11:11 am

Smile Re: Me880,s are great to hit wood at 85 mph

Glad your body didn't take the hit. My observations over years tell me the most dangerous things we frequently encounter on the road are items that fell off a sloppily loaded truck. That's one item I wish traffic officers paid more attention to. I had a similar experience with a ladder some years back, but managed to miss it.

Denny
post #9 of 10 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 12:36 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantkapteyn
Last year I had an ME 880 rear loose a chunk of rubber, always inflated and 3 years old. So I was a little peeved. Yesterday I had a brand new ME 880 front (260 miles) tire hit a piece of dunnage, a 4"x4" piece of wood at 85. Blew the mirrors off and broke the tie wrap on one, so that s$370 for a new mirror. The front rim bent outward enough that it wore trough the break lines and leak on the caliper. And screwed up the banjo bolts. Thats around $160 plus a dealer bleed of the system. Now hears the surprise. I chopped the gas, used no brake and slowed down and came to a stop with out even a shudder of the front end. When I got off and inspected the tire I realized that the impact blew all the air out immediately. Love that side wall strength. Total retail damages at $2700.
Grant,
Glad to hear you're OK and still able to post. That could have been VERY bad.
Instead you're lucky to be calculating the costs to repair a piece of machinery.
May be time for you to pick up a lotto ticket my friend!
Keir
post #10 of 10 Old Jun 14th, 2009, 10:24 am

I am glad you re OK! The bike can always be fixed.

1995 – I am riding home from the Honda dealer with a brand new 1100 American Classic edition. It had been a couple of years since I had a bike. I am on the 101 Freeway in the LA area and 2 miles from home with the wife following in our car. I am taking it slow in the right lane at about 55 when I “think” I see something in the road and then see the car in front of me swerve frantically. Now I can make out clearly at about 100 yards ahead there is a 20 foot extension ladder lying across my lane. With my wife following a little to close behind me braking wasn’t go to be an option. I managed to reverse steer the thing and missed the last rung by about 2 inches. The wife slammed the brakes and went around it also.

Two years before I swore off riding when I was almost killed by a 4X8 sheet of plywood lifted off a flatbed in front of me at 70 MPH. It was spinning around and headed straight for my head until the last second when it flipped on its side and wrapped around the front of the bike. I could not see in front of me and had cars on both sides. I looked down and used the white lines on the road to guide me until I could pull the thing away. That was my last ride until the ladder incident.

IMHO opinion, the police really need to crack down on poorly stacked trucks and the idiots with mattresses tied to the top of their Smart Cars. By my count I still have 7 lives left.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in