05 K1200 LT transmission seal leak - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 7:08 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy 05 K1200 LT transmission seal leak

I have a 2005 LT. Bought it used with only 3000 miles. I now have 11,000. The bike has been only serviced by the dealer and at proper intervals. According to the dealership's lead mechanic, a slight leak has developed under the cowling. They believe it could be either transmission seals and/or a final drive seal leak. Worst case, it could be a $1000 repair (almost all labor). Mechanic indicated that is the leak becomes significant enough the clutch operation will be adversely affected. It is of course, no longer under warranty. I did not buy an extended warranty when I bought it from the dealership. After all, aren't BMW's supposed to be engineered to the highest of standards?

I am very disappointed. A BMW that has been properly maintained and ridden very conservatively should not have seal problems in my judgement at 11000 miles.

Has anyone else out there had this experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 7:18 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

Re: 05 K1200 LT transmission seal leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhk1200lt
Worst case, it could be a $1000 repair (almost all labor). Mechanic indicated that is the leak becomes significant enough the clutch operation will be adversely affected. After all, aren't BMW's supposed to be engineered to the highest of standards?

I am very disappointed. A BMW that has been properly maintained and ridden very conservatively should not have seal problems in my judgement at 11000 miles.

Yes - Rear Main Seal is a problem with these bikes (as I learned at great personal expense this year.... more than 3 times your quote but included other items due to higher mileage) and dealer is NOT exaggerating that leaving it unchecked can add a great deal to your cost to repair if your clutch is fouled with a fluid of some sort.

Get it fixed and if they advise you to do the clutch when they're in there DO IT ... because if they put it back together and it starts slipping, they have to split the bike in two again to fix that ....... at a similar cost to the first repair.

Just like everything else in this world, BMW K1200LT has some "flat spots" .... rear main seal, clutch, final drive and low speed handling ..... other than that, it's an amazing piece of machinery.

Fix it and get back on and enjoy it. Least that's my 2 cents worth .....

Best Regards,
Keir
post #3 of 10 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 7:31 pm Thread Starter

Keir,

Thanks for your response. Much appreciated.

post #4 of 10 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 8:25 pm

Hello nhk1200lt

My 99LT was leaking from the back of the trans up around the starter / reverse gear box area could not see exact location . PO was using synthetic lube changed to Citco GL5 petro. has stopped for 3 years , guess I have dodged the bullet for a while maybe longer.
Shifting is a little stiff during first few miles in 20 deg F mornings .

Bob G
post #5 of 10 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 11:12 pm

I feel your pain David.My '03 LT-s clutch started slipping a 2 weeks ago at 9200 miles.Probably rear main seal went out and when the oil reaches the clutch plate...well,its too late.$1500 - 1700 dealers estimate,but where's the fun in that?
Thankfully to many LT owner's posts (detailed description and photos) on this forum,I'm about to take the bike apart and replace most of the seals while it's all taken apart.Maybe you can do it as well if you like being challenged,plus you will get to know her inside-out.Do some research on this forum to see how many of us have experienced such leaks!Fix it or get it fixed and go ride some more!
Best regards,Robert.
post #6 of 10 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 6:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkclark
Yes - Rear Main Seal is a problem with these bikes (as I learned at great personal expense this year.... more than 3 times your quote but included other items due to higher mileage) and dealer is NOT exaggerating that leaving it unchecked can add a great deal to your cost to repair if your clutch is fouled with a fluid of some sort.

Get it fixed and if they advise you to do the clutch when they're in there DO IT ... because if they put it back together and it starts slipping, they have to split the bike in two again to fix that ....... at a similar cost to the first repair.

Just like everything else in this world, BMW K1200LT has some "flat spots" .... rear main seal, clutch, final drive and low speed handling ..... other than that, it's an amazing piece of machinery.

Fix it and get back on and enjoy it. Least that's my 2 cents worth .....

Best Regards,
Keir
+1 on what he said.

Same happened to my well-ridden '03, didn't get the clutch but I had the dealership replace the clutch anyway once they replaced the tranny seals. Ain't cheap, but these things do happen.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old Jun 12th, 2009, 10:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhk1200lt
After all, aren't BMW's supposed to be engineered to the highest of standards?

First of let me start by saying sorry you're having a negative experience
with what is in my opinion the best motorcycle I've ever owned.
And you are correct a bike with that low of mileage should not have a seal leaking.

You should also consider that a four or five year old bike (depending upon when it was purchased)
with only 3 thousand miles has mostly been "sitting around"

and anything mechanical will deteriorate if it isn't used,
seals are made from rubber, rubber dries out and gets hard unless "exercised"

Get it fixed and ride it and I think you'll learn to love this bike!

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #8 of 10 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 9:08 am

Well I too am having this issue at 24k miles on my 05. I have a 3rd party ext. warranty. It is covered as well as the clutch if it is damaged. But they are saying it would have been $2500 job. Bike has been down for a month while the dealer and warranty co. went back and forth and argued..

Also, radio went and kick stand needs alot of help to get all the way up...both of thsoe are not covered..radio was $915 with labor..no way so I did not even ask about the stand...I can assist it for now..still young enough for that
post #9 of 10 Old Jul 21st, 2010, 6:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitsman
Also, radio went and kick stand needs alot of help to get all the way up...both of thsoe are not covered..radio was $915 with labor..no way so I did not even ask about the stand...I can assist it for now..still young enough for that

Kick Stand or center stand? Are you referring to the side stand as some call it. If it is that and not the power center stand, there is a needle style grease fitting on the hinge that may take care of that problem.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #10 of 10 Old Jul 21st, 2010, 8:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab1967
Kick Stand or center stand? Are you referring to the side stand as some call it. If it is that and not the power center stand, there is a needle style grease fitting on the hinge that may take care of that problem.
Sorry, Center Stand. it works, but I have to "assist" it to finish doing the job. It gets the bike about 70% of the way up but does not have the power to finish the job so I pull it while its working and the bike goes up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in