Dealership service - - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 1:51 pm Thread Starter

Dealership service -

So I'm curious to hear from you guys on the service you recieve from your dealership. Just want to know if I'm way off base here for thinking mine should have on my last repair. Normaly I always bring a clean bike to the dealership - just a good thing to do IMO. If you don't give a crap about the bike why should they kind of thing. But recently on day 3 of a 3 day road trip the lt left me stranded, it was a rainy 3 days and the bike was a mess. To make thing worst the rear main engine seal was leaking, from the center stand back to the rear drive was pretty much covered with oil. Had to call a buddy to come pick up my bike and trailer it back home to my local dealer. 2 weeks later the bike is done there was $2800 in waranty repairs while there they called me and told me mine had a nail in my rear tire so another $250 there. I to pick up and the bike looks just how I had brought it to them - a total mess. Maybe I expect to much but I would think that they would have at least cleaned it before they would even work on it. I know I do. So again normally I wouldn't expect them to wash my bike but based on the circumstances I was surprised they hadn't - should I have been?

TBob
09 R1200 GSA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'03 LT Impala Brown - FOR SALE
'01 KTM 520 EXC

Interested in a Kontour seat? PM me I would be happy to share my Kontour experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 2:13 pm

Re: Dealership service -

Sorry to hear about getting stranded.It would have been nice from the guys at the dealership to not only clean the area where the work was performed,but to also wash and wax the bike.I never start my work on any part of a vehicle without cleaning up first,especially the lower part of an engine known to have an oil leak.When i went to pick my LT up from the local dealer,it was shining like a new bike in their parking lot.
What matters is that you are back on the road and looking forward to a great riding season!

Enjoy the Ride! Robert.
post #3 of 21 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 2:35 pm

Talking Re: Dealership service -

there was a time, with my CLC that every time it was in for warranty service I would get a call and ask me to rate on a scale of 1-10 there treatment of me and my bike. Depending on my number given would have an impact on the percent of money they would receive from BMW. They once told me of a serious ding they got from a customer who complained about the return of a bike that was not cleaned to his standard.

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL

post #4 of 21 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 2:48 pm

WOW... How can I respond when I have a top notch dealer not 5 miles away... But I feel your pain... to some degree.

Old farts like me sing the praises of the good old days when you pulled into a gas station and someone was there to pump the gas and check the oil. Customer service and satisfaction were the norm. Today??? In some cases, out the window.

A&S has treated me very well. I have taken the bike in... under warranty work is done... it's given a bath, if I request it and/or the service manager (top flight people all around) decides it needs it. I appreciate the extra mile they they (and I speak about each and everyone of the crew at A&S) go for me when I'm there. The flame wars be dammed... I like A&S people and service.

In my tire changing duties for the EXR crew, they get back a tire and rim that has been prepped inside and out. It's clean... done properly... and I would personally be pleased to have the tire and rim back they way they get it. Other places???? I just get the tire and the rim... and the dirt and the grime... and the oil and old sticky patches where the nice 1/4 oz. weight used to be... rigtht next to the 1.5 oz. weights have been placed.

It's a big world... a little kindness and extra effort could be appreciated by a lot more people. I sort of wish the A&S way of doing things would replicate out to those who have less than stellar dealerships....

a little more warm and fuzzy... a lot less stress and aggravation...

my $.02....

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

Last edited by UncleMark; Jun 10th, 2009 at 2:59 pm.
post #5 of 21 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 2:57 pm

In my area, one dealer washes the bike and other does not. Guess which one I go to.. No brainer.
Interestingly, the dealer washing the bike has a better reputation for service...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBob
So I'm curious to hear from you guys on the service you recieve from your dealership. Just want to know if I'm way off base here for thinking mine should have on my last repair. Normaly I always bring a clean bike to the dealership - just a good thing to do IMO. If you don't give a crap about the bike why should they kind of thing. But recently on day 3 of a 3 day road trip the lt left me stranded, it was a rainy 3 days and the bike was a mess. To make thing worst the rear main engine seal was leaking, from the center stand back to the rear drive was pretty much covered with oil. Had to call a buddy to come pick up my bike and trailer it back home to my local dealer. 2 weeks later the bike is done there was $2800 in waranty repairs while there they called me and told me mine had a nail in my rear tire so another $250 there. I to pick up and the bike looks just how I had brought it to them - a total mess. Maybe I expect to much but I would think that they would have at least cleaned it before they would even work on it. I know I do. So again normally I wouldn't expect them to wash my bike but based on the circumstances I was surprised they hadn't - should I have been?

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #6 of 21 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 3:39 pm Thread Starter

Yea - it's my last time going to this dealer....
My buddy has been very happy with the one in scottsdale so I'll just have to deal with the trouble of getting it there when the need arises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKas
In my area, one dealer washes the bike and other does not. Guess which one I go to.. No brainer.
Interestingly, the dealer washing the bike has a better reputation for service...

TBob
09 R1200 GSA

'01 KTM 520 EXC

Interested in a Kontour seat? PM me I would be happy to share my Kontour experience.
post #7 of 21 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 4:00 pm

Right on... Louis is the service manager at Scottsdale. He is Great!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBob
Yea - it's my last time going to this dealer....
My buddy has been very happy with the one in scottsdale so I'll just have to deal with the trouble of getting it there when the need arises.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #8 of 21 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 6:06 pm

I try to a clean bike to the dealer. In your case I understand, but I would not them washing my bike. I am really touchy about me windshield. I use nothing but clean rags on the shield and would hate the dealer to use a dirty nasty rag a put small scratches in it. Just me................

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #9 of 21 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 7:06 pm

I woundn't expect any dealer to clean my bike. Why do you think that they owe you that?
Detailing a bike takes a long time. My car mechanic fixes the problem...not steam clean the whole engine and vacuum out the interior. I know some car dealers have a deal worked out with the local car wash but that is only a few bucks.

Just a thought....what if one dealer washed your bike but does sub standard work and another dealer does great work but leaves the washing to you? Who would you go to? I would not judge a shop/mechanic by weather or not they wash your bike.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #10 of 21 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 8:13 pm

I haven't had a BMW dealer clean a bike, but the HD dealers have. Personally, it's a nice "extra" feature that has no impact on my business.

Since BMW dealers have no real competition compared to other brands, no real impetus to differentiate themselves. That said, would be nice.

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
wants YOU!
post #11 of 21 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 1:12 am

It would bring me back but I haven't seen it done at any of the threee that I have taken it to. The labor rate at the last one was $85 per hour so I'd rather do it myself.

Diehly

Poke it through, tuck and roll
post #12 of 21 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 5:12 am

I've had the dealership not wash the bike more than they have washed it; first trip to them, though, it got a wash and that service brought me back. But, the service at Lone Star has been friendly and top notch; the wash would be nice but it's the service I get that keeps me going there (not to mention the BBQ during the open house, free cookies, free doughnuts, free coffee, and the friendly atmosphere).

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #13 of 21 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 7:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacolt
I've had the dealership not wash the bike more than they have washed it; first trip to them, though, it got a wash and that service brought me back. But, the service at Lone Star has been friendly and top notch; the wash would be nice but it's the service I get that keeps me going there (not to mention the BBQ during the open house, free cookies, free doughnuts, free coffee, and the friendly atmosphere).
+1 on Lone Star. Onliest thang is, the guy who wrenches on ole Toad NEVER washes off the road grime after a service. I gotta speak with that Olde Phart's boss one of these times!!
post #14 of 21 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 8:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by browad
Since BMW dealers have no real competition compared to other brands
Reading this again, got confused. What I meant was that the derth of BMW dealers means they don't compete against each other, whereas with HD you have a dealer every 4 interstate exits. Or so it seems.

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
wants YOU!
post #15 of 21 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 9:12 am

The BMW dealership in Tampa, Fl. , always washes my bike before returning it to me after service. The comment above about the windshield got me to thinking about whether or not I want them to continue the practice! I'll have to ask next time before it is washed as to how they do it.

I only use water on the windshield and that's after it has soaked for 15 or so minutes while I wash the rest of the bike every year or so..... I generally strip off most of the plastic before it is serviced and they still wash what is left.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #16 of 21 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 11:08 am Thread Starter

wow - I must have come across wrong...

It's not a matter of owing me anything - to be honest in this circumstance I think it would have been common courtesy.
I also, certainly, wouldn't base my optinion of a dealership on a bike wash.
I've been dealing with this dealership for quite some time- never once expected or recieved a wash, this time I think it would have been it there best interest to give it a quick spray down. Not sure about you but I won't work on something completely dirty and oil covered if I have an option.
Oh and I never said I expected the bike detailed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk610lt
I woundn't expect any dealer to clean my bike. Why do you think that they owe you that?
Detailing a bike takes a long time. My car mechanic fixes the problem...not steam clean the whole engine and vacuum out the interior. I know some car dealers have a deal worked out with the local car wash but that is only a few bucks.

Just a thought....what if one dealer washed your bike but does sub standard work and another dealer does great work but leaves the washing to you? Who would you go to? I would not judge a shop/mechanic by weather or not they wash your bike.

TBob
09 R1200 GSA

'01 KTM 520 EXC

post #17 of 21 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 11:22 am

Most times my bike has been at the dealer, I have been anxious to get it back ( and they know that due to the frequency of my calls). In those cases, they did not wash it. I don't know if any BMW dealer has washed my bike after a service, ever. it obviously did not leave an impression on me one way or another.

In any case, I don't think I want them to, really. As anal as I am about my bikes, I would probably see a scratch that was put there while I was riding but covered in dirt, and question them on it.

My Infiniti gets washed with dealer service. Never meets my standards, but I don't send it back (as it's a "free" service).

It seems it would be a lose/ lose situation for the dealer. You may win favor of a few customers, but you would have others that aren't happy with the job, or try to stick the dealer with problems that were pre-existing.
post #18 of 21 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 11:39 am

I dirtied the bike; I clean the bike.

There're a finite amount of work hours in a day, and work hours in a week.
And there's more work than they can handle.

It's hard enough getting on the schedule
I don't want the mechanics wasting time cleaning bikes after they fix them.
I want them working on bikes, so I can get on the schedule earlier, rather than later.

The dealers have enough overheard costs.
I don't need to add hiring someone to clean the bikes in order to make me happy.
I'm a satisfied consumer/customer.
Thanks, Capitol.
post #19 of 21 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 11:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

+2 on Lone Star! I know the guy who wrenches on ole Toad (he don't work at Lone Star). He may leave grime on ole Toad, but he's one of the good guys. ....maybe I should talk to Cheryl tho.....

I don't care if they wash the bike or not, with one exception: It seems in the case of an oil/fluid leak, they would clean the spill up to
A. ensure that no foreign matter sticking to the leaked substance gets introduced to sensitive areas.
B. to validate that the leak is actually sealed.
Not cleaning off the spilled substance would make me question how thorough they really are.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #20 of 21 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 12:31 pm Thread Starter

Me too - guess you're missing my point.
On a road trip - bike broke - trailed to dealership.
Had a leak - didn't want to wash the evidence of that away.
Thought the dealership might 1- want a somewhat de-dirt/oil bike to work on. 2 might want a clean bike to see if it still leaks.
Time to wash a bike - what? 5 mins Max time with a spray bottle of simple green and a hose. Get's it done enough for both of the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT_Pilot
I dirtied the bike; I clean the bike.

There're a finite amount of work hours in a day, and work hours in a week.
And there's more work than they can handle.

It's hard enough getting on the schedule
I don't want the mechanics wasting time cleaning bikes after they fix them.
I want them working on bikes, so I can get on the schedule earlier, rather than later.

The dealers have enough overheard costs.
I don't need to add hiring someone to clean the bikes in order to make me happy.
I'm a satisfied consumer/customer.
Thanks, Capitol.

TBob
09 R1200 GSA

'01 KTM 520 EXC

post #21 of 21 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 3:53 pm

I also try to bring my bikes in clean figuring if it's obvious I care they will also. Having several dealers in the Los Angeles area I have noticed some will wash it, some won't. And yes, the ones who do wash the bike seem to pay more attention to detail. When an oil leak is involved, especially while on the road, I do expect some clean up for safety reasons. Oil dripping on the tires is just plan bad. I don't know what San Jose BMW normally does but when I stopped there to have a leak fixed they did clean it up nice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in