03 LT Oil Change - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 12:38 am Thread Starter

03 LT Oil Change

Whats the recomended synthetic oil to use on the LT. Do you recomend staying with the BMW Oil?

Terry Kirkland
Black 03 LT
Broken Arrow Oklahoma
BMW MOA #144774

Life is like a coin,
you can spend it on anything you want
But you can only spend it once
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 3:50 am

Re: 03 LT Oil Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkirklan
Whats the recomended synthetic oil to use on the LT. Do you recomend staying with the BMW Oil?
Hey, Terry - good to see ya on here.

Man, don't do a search on this - you'll be up for three nights, reading all the oil thread chit!!

Tell ya what me and ole Toad use, and have been using for the past 8 years. Amsoil 20W/50 synth, and their oil filter. We change it in the garage, and try to do it every 3,000 miles, or close to it. We also use the Amsoil gear lube for the tranny and the final drive. Change those on the same schedule. Overkill prolly, butt we don't lose any sleep over it.

Any of the usual synthetics you find at a dealer's shop are gonna work. Mobil 1 gets good mentions, as does the ?Spectra?, as does the BMW brand (which may be made by the same manufacture - I'm not sure). Redline gets talked about a lot for the tranny/final drive. Other folks will be here shortly to add to the thread - you may find that there are no 'bad' synths for the LT's engine, least none I know of.

You doin' your own oil change, or working with Tulsa/Bentonville/Little Rock?? All good for the most part, btw.

Take care, Terry - best regards.
post #3 of 23 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 4:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

Terry,
I have changed my oil & filter by BMW recommendation every 6,000 miles and many on this forum use Mobile 1.
Just my .02
Benton

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'

post #4 of 23 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 5:35 am

+1 on the Mobile 1 in the five quart jug from Wal-Mart.

Every 3K miles.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #5 of 23 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 8:43 am

I love oil threads!

+1 on Dick's AMSoil recommendations. It really is good stuff. On the changing every 3K... interestingly almost all synthetic oil manufacturers state that you can go 2x the normal change interval (for us, 6K - 12K changes). I go 6K on the engine oil and 12K on the tranny/final drive. I have done this on my VRods for years and I am consistently amazed at how good the oil looks coming out.

Mobil 1 is a great product too. I worked for Mobil with the engineers that developed it. Amazing stuff. They did stuff to cars you would not believe in the initial testing. In fact, I bought one of their test cars (a '70-something Dodge Colt - the old japanese one) that had run 100K miles without an oil change (but filter changes every 10K). That car never used a drop of oil either and ran like a top.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #6 of 23 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 8:55 am

My preference Mobil 1 5w 50
post #7 of 23 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 11:26 am

BMW recommends Castrol brand per LT shop manual.

I have used both Amsoil and Mobil1 synthetics in the past. They are both good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkirklan

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #8 of 23 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 3:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hey Terry, I did a little (very little) oil research a while back, and found that "motorcycle oil" is preferred when engine and transmission share the same oil. I believe the LT engine to be a car engine,requiring 20/50wt oil, in any brand that you feel comfortable with, as you do in your car.

Very many on this site are using alternate filters and oils successfully. Choose the one that gives you confidence.
post #9 of 23 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 7:23 pm

I just want to be crystal clear before I go and do something stupid -

Y'all use the regular Mobil 1 15W-50? Like I would put in a car?
post #10 of 23 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 8:50 pm

Yes. On the LT there is really no reason to use motorcycle specific oil. Motorcycle specific oil is generally required on bikes that have a wet clutch. If you have a wet clutch on a LT, you've got other problems.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #11 of 23 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 9:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Yes. On the LT there is really no reason to use motorcycle specific oil. Motorcycle specific oil is generally required on bikes that have a wet clutch. If you have a wet clutch on a LT, you've got other problems.
Not to sound argumentative but on the sporty I used Mobil 1 75W90 gear oil; engine oil for the engine, gear oil for the gears. Some sporty owners choose to buy the same oil for both holes; there are some strong arguments for using lubricants designed specifically for gears.

But, I do agree with your last statement: if your LT has a wet clutch, you've got other problems.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #12 of 23 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 9:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Another thing to remember...motorcycles run much hotter than cars, so normal oil can break down much easier.

I don't find it convincing that bmw oil is better than Mobil1 or Amsoil.

Also when people say once you use synthetic you can't go back. This makes no technical sense.

Synthetic oils are great, you can go much longer without an oil change. I've heard arguments on whether they bond to metal as well as regular oils do, so if you have all the tools and a garage where its easy to do an oil change, I'd use regular oil. It's more cost effective.
post #13 of 23 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 6:09 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback. Its been a while since I've changed it myself, and I need to start doing the easy maintenance and trying to learn the more difficult part.... :-) I'm taking a 2 week trip up into New Mexico and Colorado and just trying to get black beauty ready to go.

Terry Kirkland
Black 03 LT
Broken Arrow Oklahoma
BMW MOA #144774

Life is like a coin,
you can spend it on anything you want
But you can only spend it once
post #14 of 23 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 10:13 am

You might wanr to log on to the Mobil 1 web site. They make a pretty compelling case to use their motorcycle synthetic. They were forced to remove a couple additives in their auomotive products to meet current federal regs that they kept in their motorcycle oil.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #15 of 23 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 2:57 pm
Dar

Question Re: 03 LT Oil Change

here is another question, I have 3700milers on my LT, took it into a dealer for an oil change and asked for synthetic oil, they said they dont recommend syn till the break in period is over. Does that sound right?
post #16 of 23 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 3:13 pm

Yes it sounds right. 12k is the earliest recommendation to switch. With all the rear main seal failures, I am suggesting that you keep on using dino. Something with the synthetic oil that may harden the rear main seal faster.
Just my $.02

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #17 of 23 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 3:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
here is another question, I have 3700milers on my LT, took it into a dealer for an oil change and asked for synthetic oil, they said they dont recommend syn till the break in period is over. Does that sound right?
Yep, because of the extreme anti wear characteristics of synthetic oil and the fact that "break-in" is "wear-in" it interferes with the process. You'll want to use Dino until the break-in period is complete then switch to synthetic. That process will give you max mileage and least likelihood of burning oil.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #18 of 23 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 7:05 pm

+1 on the Amsoil. I know for a fact that you can run twice the recomended milage for the stock bmw requirements. A great oil for the bike is the 10W-30 Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle Oil. Also I am a dealer and I can get you some at less than retail. Steve
post #19 of 23 Old Jun 12th, 2009, 9:10 am

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
post #20 of 23 Old Jun 12th, 2009, 5:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
Yes it sounds right. 12k is the earliest recommendation to switch. With all the rear main seal failures, I am suggesting that you keep on using dino. Something with the synthetic oil that may harden the rear main seal faster.
Just my $.02
I'm with you. Roman cycle said I had a seal issue and was leaking but ride it til the end of the season and bring it in during the winter. This was last year. I cleaned it up and put non synth in and its still dry. So for me the dino is the way to go.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #21 of 23 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 12:42 pm

Smile Re: 03 LT Oil Change

[center]alright, A Very Good Question, Listen, You Do Not Need To Use "bmw" Oil Use The "mobil-one" "v-twin" Special This Has Been Tested And "always" Comes In The Number One Choice For All Motorcycle Applications
Lane Hanner
Ely, Nevada 89301
post #22 of 23 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 11:28 pm

doesn't the mobil 1 v twin say for wet clutch primary drive? jim
post #23 of 23 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 11:13 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

I did manage to get to the spectro-oils.com seminar at the MOA rally last year and the oil guy had been in the oil business for 30 years. He said that any high quality oil would work. Mobile 1 works fine but the reason for the motorcycle specific oils are for the additives.
The different additives are to help keep the engine cooler and other performance enhancements for air cooled motors.

I run Redline synthetic and I never burn a drop.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in