Will the '07 have a parking sensor? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 1:25 pm Thread Starter

Will the '07 have a parking sensor?

I need one. Managed to reverse into the exhaust of my Suzuki on the driveway and heard a very expensive crunch sound followed by the tinkling of broken perspex.

Anyone know how to change the rear light cluster lens on an 05?

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 2:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.galvin2
I need one. Managed to reverse into the exhaust of my Suzuki on the driveway and heard a very expensive crunch sound followed by the tinkling of broken perspex.

Anyone know how to change the rear light cluster lens on an 05?

Tom
Tom,

sorry to hear about your mishap. I don't know about the plans of BMW for their '07 models but I have installed a parking sensor system as one of my endless winter farkle projects.
I have mentioned about this a while ago but now that you presented the real need for it, that gives me courage to make a more complete installation report on it

I will do it later in the spring since my bike is currently in small pieces spread all over my garage...

As ar as the broken taillight cover is concerned...I'm afraid that BMW only wants to sell you the complete taillight assembly.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 2:44 pm

Email the guys at deep6auctions an ebay store for BMW motorcycle parts.

Vince Weidig

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 2:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
Tom,

sorry to hear about your mishap. I don't know about the plans of BMW for their '07 models but I have installed a parking sensor system as one of my endless winter farkle projects.
I have mentioned about this a while ago but now that you presented the real need for it, that gives me courage to make a more complete installation report on it

I will do it later in the spring since my bike is currently in small pieces spread all over my garage...

As ar as the broken taillight cover is concerned...I'm afraid that BMW only wants to sell you the complete taillight assembly.

Regards
Thanks

Would be interested in what you did. Was it a big project?

Tom
post #5 of 11 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 2:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
To replace the rear light cluster, open the side cases and remove the silver bolt located in the rear seal area of each side case.

These bolts extend into the rear lense housing.
The housing will come out and you have to remove the bulb bases that twist in place.

Thanks Dave

I'm sut going out to brave the -5deg with a torch to peer into the side case.

Tom
post #6 of 11 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 4:06 pm

Tom, Tom, Tom...
Lemme see if I got this straight.

You backed your LT into another parked vehicle, and you want BMW to add something to aid you in preventing this?!?!

OK. It all makes sense to me now. For a minute there I thought you was being irrational.

Or........maybe you could just adhere little baby buggy bumpers all the way around your bike?!?!?!

post #7 of 11 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 4:20 pm

Quote:
Thanks

Would be interested in what you did. Was it a big project?

Tom
Well Tom,

it is not just plug and play...First of all one has to take a deep breath before attacking the rear panel and saddelbag lids with a 20 mm hole drill. This is to install the four sensors to start with.
Finding the place for the main "brain unit" is not difficult. On the top of the right saddlebag, just like Autocom or Baehr or whatever. The unit might not be watertight, so black silicone all around the seams and connectors.

Finding power for the darn thing was hard. As the unit is intended for automobile use it should be powered from the back-up lights or similar. I just could not locate a suitable power source from LT - even to power up a relay when the reverse is on - so I will sacrifice one of my 8 right handlebar small rocker switches to give power for the sensor system. (Of course this is a handicap if I forget to turn on the reversing radar and end up backing up on a tree...)

And then of course the little distance indicator! It was no problem to find a place for it. I glued it in the place where pre'05 models have the radio display. But the thing is wired with a thin 8-cable wire and of course the wire has to be directed all the way under the gas tank towards the rear of the bike plus the stingray is removable - so 8-pin DIN connectors had to be soldered in the wire to provide disconnectivity...(Of course the gas tank removal is optional, the wire to the distance indicator can be led directly over the gas tank, too.)

I would call this a job that requires some higher degree of farkle-fever and about 5 months of winterization plus a brain that got frozen the day one got the LT...

Oh shoot, now I ended up explaining it all, just pics missing

To be continued later in the spring...

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #8 of 11 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 4:20 pm Thread Starter

Wink

Joe, oh Joe oh Joe

It was a joke- maybe a tad sophisticated for some - but lo and behold someone has got one! Who'd have thunk it?

Tom
post #9 of 11 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 11:53 am

Quote:
... lo and behold someone has got one! Who'd have thunk it?
OK, so maybe someone should (just because it can be done) install an commercial vehicle backup alarm on the LT. That would be cool... NOT.

On a related note, on gl1800riders.com I saw a photo of a Goldwing with a "Wide Load" sign on the back. Wasn't sure if it applied to the bike or the rider(s).

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #10 of 11 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 2:01 pm

Unhappy

The truth hurts!

With over 60,000 miles on two separate LTs, I backed mine into a wall at Daytona last year.

It was a low wall, not in my line of sight as I backed up. Heard this terrible plastic cracking sound, looked around to see what had happened. ####### can not believe I did that!!!!

Jim in GA
post #11 of 11 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 2:05 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl160
With over 60,000 miles on two separate LTs, I backed mine into a wall at Daytona last year.
Unfortunately & obviously, not enough of that 60K was spent in reverse!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in