Bye for now... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 6:33 am Thread Starter

Bye for now...

Well my LT friends and Bug Guard buyers I am moving on down the road from my '03 LT to a mint 08' FJR1300. Many factors, no longer ride 2 up, have always missed the power coming to the LT, from sport bikes, never dropped it but never got used to the low speed handling and I am sorry to say, the service has dropped off dramatically at Bob's. Plus the unbelievable cost of repairs.

I had a clutch installed 3000 miles ago, it has been in their shop for a week (waiting for other LT's to get worked on) and it may take another week for the install of another clutch (rear seal) leaked all over everything. Yes, it's on their dime but such a PITA. It also needs new shocks, (certainly nobody's fault). Combine the 2nd. clutch, the tire on backwards (previous post), the drive shaft seal coming off (from first clutch job) and just the over-all attitude I am concerned about the quality of work being done there.

Now on the other side, their sales manager Ashton could not be of more help. He is the one ALWAYS going to bat for the customers and he is the one getting me a very good deal on this FJR. Now if he could only work on the bikes...

My six years with the LT were for the most part pretty good. Many miles of comfortable riding. I will have to spend a couple of bucks on a heated seat to get the FJR comfortable for winter riding but it has heated grips, plus I'll have to install a XM radio.

I certainly hope the FJR boards are as friendly and helpful as this one has been! You guys (and gals) have never failed to answer a question or help with a problem. I will still be making the Bug-Guards, although many of the newer models come with their own radiator protection, so we'll see how long I keep going with them but for now they are still out there.

So if you are riding a LT in Maryland and you see a gray haired dude fly by on a FJR, wave, I will!

Gene Sweeney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 7:24 am

post #3 of 10 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 8:14 am
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Re: Bye for now...

Hope you enjoy the new bike. Stop by and say Hi when you can. As you know, many folks on here don't ride an LT any longer.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger

post #4 of 10 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 9:35 am

The FJR1300 is a good bike.
Super fun to drive, great gas mileage, light.
Enjoy it!
post #5 of 10 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 9:59 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the good wishes. I plan on joining the FJR form when I have a minute to sit down and really get into it. I'm sure it will be hours of fun reading. I just better not find a final drive issue! (LOL)

Gene Sweeney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 10:17 am

Smile Re: Bye for now...

Gene,

We love our 05 FJR, My S/O calls it her favorite MC of all the bikes she has ridden and owned. We had a FD leak on a trip back in 07 but just watched it while on tour and when we returned home here in the PNW dropped bike off at dealer and it was fixed in 7 days, all parts and labor for less than $275.00 .. No other problems prior or since...

It is a great bike.. Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsweeney
Thanks for the good wishes. I plan on joining the FJR form when I have a minute to sit down and really get into it. I'm sure it will be hours of fun reading. I just better not find a final drive issue! (LOL)

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #7 of 10 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 10:58 am

Been good havin you around. Don't be a stranger. FJ's a great ride, but my back doesn't think so. Ride safe, often and far!

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #8 of 10 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 11:31 am

Ditto Welcome to the FJR World.
Make sure the ignition recall has been completed.
Also you know keeping the LT as a second M/C works out well, for those 2 up times and rain! I gave mine up and later found a nice lightly used 01 that made me fall for the LT all over again.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #9 of 10 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 3:17 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Nope, no final drive issues on the FJR, nor clutch issues, for that matter. But do keep an eye on the rear subframe.

Other than that, enjoy the new bike. It's a lot lighter and more powerful than the LT, so do pay attention out there.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 10 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 6:14 am Thread Starter

Went to get all new fluids for the new bike yesterday and was sorry to see somethings never change from dealer to dealer! I spend 5 minutes convincing the Yamaha dealer that their Yamaha golf cart clutch lube is not what I was looking for to change my rear end fluid, sigh.

Gene Sweeney

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in