Stingray questions! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 12:55 am Thread Starter

Garage
Stingray questions!

First and foremost, thanks to all the wisdom that floats around here. The shear volume of good and bad (funny) information shared is great. Makes the day at work bearable

Now that I have sugar coated the impending question....

I had the luxury of needing to replace the RDU on "Barbara", while looking I came across a fine gentleman that had the entire stingray (mine needed replacement anyway) complete off of an '03 for sale. It comes complete with the BMW CommSystem, CD, RDU and the CB connections in the oddments box. To add insult he threw in both the FM and the CB antenna' for $500. (I ran at that price!) and paid extra to get it sooner. Either it is inop or I got it at a steal!

QUESTION:
Barbara has never had the CommSystem, BMW engineers being who they are , will there be a connection issue that I may have to get into to "make it work" Again I have an '00 and this is from an '03.

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 6:44 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Re: Stingray questions!

Was I too wordy?

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #3 of 6 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 6:50 pm
Super Moderator

Yes, keep quiet, we're trying to sleep!

There should be no issues getting it to work since it is already integrated into the Stingray with the radio unit and such. You may need to get the headset cables and have them installed for rider and passenger if they weren't included. and I can't remember if there is a separate power harness for the Comm system or if it slaves off the radio. I think the latter but am not sure.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 8:19 pm Thread Starter

Garage

exactly what I needed. Looking at the install directions posted on this site, it would appear that it is "slaved" something about removing or replacing a "pin" in the harness. I will double check when I do the install to see if all the "pins" are there! Thanks again and looking forward to Cambria next year. But make sure to do it a bit bigger would ya!

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #5 of 6 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 8:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Yes, keep quiet, we're trying to sleep!

There should be no issues getting it to work since it is already integrated into the Stingray with the radio unit and such. You may need to get the headset cables and have them installed for rider and passenger if they weren't included. and I can't remember if there is a separate power harness for the Comm system or if it slaves off the radio. I think the latter but am not sure.
I think the power is separate...On my '01 my Comm System is only operational in the "KEY ON" position, while the radio functions "KEY OFF" as well. Unfortunately I know this because I was troubleshooting some bluetooth phone/Garmin 2820 issues and ran down my battery because I needed the Comm system to work.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #6 of 6 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 3:14 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRodPete
I think the power is separate...On my '01 my Comm System is only operational in the "KEY ON" position, while the radio functions "KEY OFF" as well. Unfortunately I know this because I was troubleshooting some bluetooth phone/Garmin 2820 issues and ran down my battery because I needed the Comm system to work.
After carful consideration, sleep and reviewing the obvious manual for the correct answer. you are correct. the comsystem is powered separately. no other issues should come up in this installation. that said thanks to all for looking and more importantly responding...

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in