Ghetto Mod # 879: LT on board solar battery charger - $20.00 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 3:12 pm Thread Starter

Ghetto Mod # 879: LT on board solar battery charger - $20.00

Yep, $20.00 and 5 minutes to install.

Play your stereo during the day while camping without running down your battery, charge up your laptop, pda, I-pod, cell phone, whatever - while securely locked inside your luggage.

1. Sunforce Solar Battery Charger, output up to 1.8 watts. Just about perfect for a motorcycle battery. No worries about overcharging yet enough juice to bring a depleted battery up to snuff in a few hours. They even put out great power when its cloudy. You can buy them by the two pack at Costco:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1

or just one at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

2. Slide it under your OEM top rack - it fits perfectly in place and is held tight by the friction fit.

3. Loosen your passenger back rest and left side speaker enclosure, and tuck the wire in. Run the lead under the passenger seat and to your battery, secure the extra lead with a nylon wire tie. Plug it in and leave it plugged in - it won't hurt a thing and has a diode to prevent draining the battery at night.

4. Although they "say" these are not rated for outdoor use I have several of them sitting outside for months with no problems. Since it fits at a slight angle under the top case it will shed water when it rains or when you wash your scooter.

5. It also has a cool little blue flashing LED (damn I love LEDs...) to let you know when its charging.

ENJOY!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0523.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	23346   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0518.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	23347   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0521.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	23348   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0522.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	23349  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jun 8th, 2009 at 3:40 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 3:40 pm

Re: Ghetto Mod # 879: LT on board solar battery charger - $20.00

I like this.
Thanks!
post #3 of 18 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 3:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
I did that one a couple of years ago with a solar charger from Harbor Freight.
I does the trick to keep the battery hot.
I tried that red one too - it MELTED from the sun!

(I guess THAT Chinese factory has just a leetle bit more work to do on their resins...)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HF solar charger.gif
Views:	82
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	23354  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

post #4 of 18 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 4:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Mine never melted in the Sun here in FlatLand, but your closer to the Sun out there.
I had it sandwiched between my windshield and a metallic silver sun shade in my truck with the windows rolled up, on a 110F day in direct sunlight.

This just MAY have played a part in it's demise....

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #5 of 18 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 10:56 am

Sorry, I am not leaving my LTs under Arizona's sun :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Yep, $20.00 and 5 minutes to install.

Play your stereo during the day while camping without running down your battery, charge up your laptop, pda, I-pod, cell phone, whatever - while securely locked inside your luggage.

1. Sunforce Solar Battery Charger, output up to 1.8 watts. Just about perfect for a motorcycle battery. No worries about overcharging yet enough juice to bring a depleted battery up to snuff in a few hours. They even put out great power when its cloudy. You can buy them by the two pack at Costco:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1

or just one at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

2. Slide it under your OEM top rack - it fits perfectly in place and is held tight by the friction fit.

3. Loosen your passenger back rest and left side speaker enclosure, and tuck the wire in. Run the lead under the passenger seat and to your battery, secure the extra lead with a nylon wire tie. Plug it in and leave it plugged in - it won't hurt a thing and has a diode to prevent draining the battery at night.

4. Although they "say" these are not rated for outdoor use I have several of them sitting outside for months with no problems. Since it fits at a slight angle under the top case it will shed water when it rains or when you wash your scooter.

5. It also has a cool little blue flashing LED (damn I love LEDs...) to let you know when its charging.

ENJOY!

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #6 of 18 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 12:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKas
Sorry, I am not leaving my LTs under Arizona's sun :-)
Aw shucks Matt I always cover my - I mean - my LT's ass.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0524.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	23363   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0526.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	23364  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jun 9th, 2009 at 5:00 pm.
post #7 of 18 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 12:58 pm

That is a nice cover. Is it possible to mount the solar panel outside and keep the bike inside the garage? Do you need longer wiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Aw shucks Matt - I always cover my ass.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #8 of 18 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 1:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKas
That is a nice cover. Is it possible to mount the solar panel outside and keep the bike inside the garage? Do you need longer wiring?
Yep, you can buy pre made extensions with that connector at most electronic supply houses, or just rig up your own with some zip wire. I think there's about 6 feet on the panel already. Still cheaper than a Battery Tender to buy up front. If you can orient the panel facing up that would be perfect, but you'll still get plenty of juice mounted horizontally as well.

I would make sure the wire gauge you end up using for your extension is at least as thick or thicker than what it is made from - you'll no doubt have a small voltage drop with a longer cord and that should keep it to a minimum.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #9 of 18 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 7:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Ron,
This was one of the reviews on the Cosco Link. Is there a voltage regulator needed?

"I found out and checked the output voltage from the panel and found it to be 21 volts on the first one and 20.5 volts on the second one." . . ."I bought one for my girlfriend and her truck so she can keep the battery full while she is out hiking. She used for the first time and destroyed the voltage gauge on her truck.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #10 of 18 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 8:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Ron,
This was one of the reviews on the Cosco Link. Is there a voltage regulator needed?

"I found out and checked the output voltage from the panel and found it to be 21 volts on the first one and 20.5 volts on the second one." . . ."I bought one for my girlfriend and her truck so she can keep the battery full while she is out hiking. She used for the first time and destroyed the voltage gauge on her truck.

If that girl's battery discharged "while she was out hiking" she must have been on one heck of a walk about!

The most I've seen is 18.2V with the Tucson sun directly overhead. All other times it will be a lot less. I'm not an electrical engineer, but I don't think at 1.8 Watts MAXIMUM and 125Mah it would be an issue for a healthy 20 amp hour motorcycle battery. I assume our charging systems probably feed the battery 13.5 volts or so constantly.

I think if you were pushing maybe 24 volts or so with 4 to 5 amps you could easily cook a small battery, a charge controller would be a VERY good idea with that kind of output.

I'm sure there's others out there with a lot more knowledge on this, but I'm not gonna' sweat it.

(that is until I end up pushing the LT to my local dealer after I cook the moronics...)

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jun 9th, 2009 at 8:45 pm.
post #11 of 18 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 8:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Ron,

That is really not possible. It may read that high when OPEN CIRCUIT, but once hooked to a battery it will go to only slightly higher than the battery voltage. This type of device does not have the current capability to create enough current to drive a battery to that high a voltage. 20 volts on a 12 volt lead acid battery would create a very high current, which this little solar cell could not possibly deliver, so the voltage would drop to the maximum that it's current supply to the battery would need, probably less than a half volt above the battery open voltage.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #12 of 18 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 8:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
That is really not possible. It may read that high when OPEN CIRCUIT, but once hooked to a battery it will go to only slightly higher than the battery voltage. This type of device does not have the current capability to create enough current to drive a battery to that high a voltage. 20 volts on a 12 volt lead acid battery would create a very high current, which this little solar cell could not possibly deliver, so the voltage would drop to the maximum that it's current supply to the battery would need, probably less than a half volt above the battery open voltage.
...and I need to qualify my statement that my 18.2 volt reading was indeed open circuit.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #13 of 18 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks gentlemen!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #14 of 18 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 10:35 pm

Thats nice but my half cover doesn't have that open view so it wouldn't help me. Good work though. Maybe if one was small enough to fit on the back by the license plate. I know it wouldn't get the most sun but still some.

05 LT
Marine Engineering Officer
US Army
post #15 of 18 Old Nov 6th, 2009, 9:25 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePower
Thats nice but my half cover doesn't have that open view so it wouldn't help me. Good work though. Maybe if one was small enough to fit on the back by the license plate. I know it wouldn't get the most sun but still some.
Buy some convertible window vinyl at your local auto upholstery supply house, cut out a hole, and sew it in.... easy.

You're not going to get much juice vertically mounted by your license plate - and the road dust and grime that will accumulate on the glass just from everyday riding will be an issue. Orientation is everything on solar panels. They only work if exposed to direct sun - or bright indirect light for long periods of time.

If you can't aim it directly at the sun horizontal is a good compromise.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #16 of 18 Old Nov 7th, 2009, 10:27 am

Thanks for that great tip Ron. I've got one on the way...

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #17 of 18 Old Apr 12th, 2010, 9:13 am

Update: After sitting 3 months in the garage, I noticed that my solar panel had broken in half. I'm guessing it was due to the slight pressure involved from being slid under the rack, and all the thawing and freezing we have here in the crappy Illinois winter. It was -12 here for a while. Oh, well $20 wasn't a big loss.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #18 of 18 Old Apr 12th, 2010, 10:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz
Update: After sitting 3 months in the garage, I noticed that my solar panel had broken in half. I'm guessing it was due to the slight pressure involved from being slid under the rack, and all the thawing and freezing we have here in the crappy Illinois winter. It was -12 here for a while. Oh, well $20 wasn't a big loss.
Mine did that too...but I did clear silicone across the crack & around the edges, mount holes & LED indicator. She still works managed to save the $14 I spent.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in