Deer!!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 2:50 pm Thread Starter

Deer!!!!

Greetings.

We ride in very heavily populated deer country. Last year there were 5600 "reported" deer claims in Georgia. Hundreds go unreported, due to not having comprehensive coverage on the vehicle. It is very common to see deer beside the road here.

I've noticed that if I have my stereo playing loudly, they spook easier. I've had 2 jump out recently, both times the stereo was blasting. I dont know if there is a co-relation or not. My brother is an avid hunter, but does not ride. he says that the "High-way" deer become accustomed to passing motor vehicles, but not the human voice, or other strange noises.

It's just an observation , but I'm going to ride with the headsets on or low or no speaker volume on the backroads.

Ride Safe,
Dale
I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 2:59 pm

Re: Deer!!!!

What timing. I just sent an email to my riding group warning about the increase in deer population in our area. I ride to work most days (this time of year anyway) and I don't ever remember seeing this many deer...this early in the year. We just had a fatality on the nearby toll-road over the weekend, and I'm sure everybody remembers the late Larry Grodsky who died after hitting a deer in April 2006.

Headline from yesterday's fatality;
"Motorcyclist dies after hitting deer on the Indiana Toll Road" - June 7th, 2009
http://www.thetimesonline.com/articl...cd007d8a1a.txt

Ride safe...
Toolman

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #3 of 35 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 3:49 pm

Deer is a big problem. I remember once on I-95 swirving very hard to avoid a deer.

To avoid, when riding where there are lots of deer,

1) I stay on the left side of the road where they're least likely to be.
2) I try to drive behind another car about 100 feet or so, in theory if there is a deer the car will hit it and I can swirve out of the way, or the deer is less likely to cross in front of me if a car just zoomed by.
3) Try not to drive on highly populated deer areas at night.
4) Drive slow!

Be safe!

post #4 of 35 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 3:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveno
Deer is a big problem. I remember once on I-95 swirving very hard to avoid a deer.

2) I try to drive behind another car about 100 feet or so, in theory if there is a deer the car will hit it and I can swirve out of the way, or the deer is less likely to cross in front of me if a car just zoomed by.
4) Drive slow!

Be safe!
#4 x 10....................then drive slower.........A lot of folks from around here know this but we get a lot of folks from out of State following the job chase..........They're all paid by the hour but mostly they will not slow down..................good grief......................

HID's help..................but you still have to slow down.....................
post #5 of 35 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 4:00 pm

I have lived in deer country for the past 30 years. Deer seem to be most active at dawn, and then again at dusk. That's when I am extra vigilant; I constantly scan the roadsides at that time.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #6 of 35 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 4:02 pm

The thing to remember are deer come out to get away from bug, to migrate to a new feeding area or to find a mate. They tend to follow paths. I live in a more hilly area of Minnesota and they tend to be at places were hills and valleys meet. I don't drive a lot of the flat lands so I can't tell you much about what habits they have there but I watch were 2 or 3 hills meet and will almost always find deer in these locations if I find them. The other area is in fields next to wooded areas.

They also tend to move at twilight which is the worse time for a humans eyes. You haven't adjusted for the dark yet. So my advise is to try and avoid the highway at twilight.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #7 of 35 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 4:09 pm

Last weekend i went to Ft Davis and made my way up to the observatory... nice twisty roads, highly reccomended..

deer just walk out in front of ya.. didnt matter about the HORN BLARING.. Shooting finger...
Yelling... LOading shotgun...
RELOADing shotgun..

Jeeze I guess we are the menace, huh?

DIDnt give a second thought to me..

Be careful.. even tho they look at ya, they might just keep right on going...

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #8 of 35 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 10:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveno

4) Drive slow!

Be safe!
I wouldn't count on #2 so much. I was stuck behind a pick up and Jeep in a no passing zone. Had a bike behind me and was following at a safe distance but not to far since I was looking to pass the Jeep and pick up. A BEAR ran out of the woods and went between me and the Jeep and right back into the woods on the other side. Never thought a bear could run that fast. I hammered the brakes all the while thinking the bear was hungry and I was going to be an easy meal. No can opener required! We had a very cold and very snowy winter here and so far the deer population appears to be way down. Still watching out though.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #9 of 35 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 3:43 am

My favorite quickie ride is along Washington State Route 14 along the Columbia River between Vancouver, WA and Bridge of the Gods where I cross over the river and ride the Oregon side back.

The problem is the deer on the Washington side cross SR 14 to drink from and swim the river to the other side. I mentioned in another forum last year that my solution to avoiding deer is to avoid riding these roads 1 hr either side of dusk and dawn.

This is where the conversation began in earnest. One of the members suggested the use of "deer whistles". Those passive little square tube doohickeys that are supposed to apprise the deer of your imminent arrival at which point they wait just outside of view alongside the road until you are safely past their hideout.

Conversation continued on the merits of this product but the predominant opinion was that they don't work, or if they do the results are inconsistent.

Someone else then suggested letting a V twin rider take the point position thereby making your ride safer. This seemed somewhat callous and unfair to me.

My suggestion would be to place a couple chrome plated deer whistles on the V-twins and then let them ride point.

'Nuff said

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #10 of 35 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 6:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt

My suggestion would be to place a couple chrome plated deer whistles on the V-twins and then let them ride point.

'Nuff said
I've been riding Harelys for over 20 years and that's funny. I don't care who you are!

2009 1200 RT
2010 STriple
1976 R90/6
2002 FLSTF
2009 G650 GS
1976 DT 250B
post #11 of 35 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 9:13 am
Lifetime Supporter

My question is where is deer country? I had deer scat on my sidewalk next to the front porch this morning. I live in a subdivision. Around here, if it ain't broad daylight (easier to see them),I slow down, ride in left lane when available, use my PIAAs & HID after dark, but they are everywhere from sun down to sun up. Don't forget dogs, cattle, horses and other large game animals. I think just about everywhere there's an animal who is likely to be in the road and can put a serious hurt on you.

Key thing to remember is if you see one, there is probably more. Slow down! Speed of impact is your worst enemy.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #12 of 35 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 12:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob
My question is where is deer country? I had deer scat on my sidewalk next to the front porch this morning. I live in a subdivision.
I was just thinking the same thing. I live in a Wash, DC suburb, about 3-4 miles outside the Beltway, and night before last I came across *5* deer having a fresh salad on a neighbor's plants right up the street.

Of course, the stupid hooved vermin didn't run away from the street toward the woods and golf course as I came around the turn -- noooo, they sauntered (didn't even break into a trot) across the road in front of me, heading for the backyards of the houses across the street.

Friggin "you can't kill Bambi" whiners in this area have made it impossible to control the over population around here -- but I've yet to find one of them that can tell me why a quick death by .30-.30 is more cruel than a prolonged death from starvation and disease or vehicular injury.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #13 of 35 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 1:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
I was just thinking the same thing. I live in a Wash, DC suburb, about 3-4 miles outside the Beltway, and night before last I came across *5* deer having a fresh salad on a neighbor's plants right up the street.

Of course, the stupid hooved vermin didn't run away from the street toward the woods and golf course as I came around the turn -- noooo, they sauntered (didn't even break into a trot) across the road in front of me, heading for the backyards of the houses across the street.

Friggin "you can't kill Bambi" whiners in this area have made it impossible to control the over population around here -- but I've yet to find one of them that can tell me why a quick death by .30-.30 is more cruel than a prolonged death from starvation and disease or vehicular injury.
Things ARE different in the West...

I have a friend who is an expert bow hunter and has been all over the world on big game hunts. He lives about a half mile from me in a highly populated urban area.

His neighbors think nothing of it when they see him at 5:00 am in camo in their back yards! Dave calls it "harvesting".

"Oh, not to worry - its just Dave out trying to feed his family".

Cooked correctly Venison is darned tasty. Very rare in a red hot cast iron skillet with a splash or two of good red wine and some shrooms - or by moist heat roasting. Tastes like chicken!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 35 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 1:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Cooked correctly Venison is darned tasty. Very rare in a red hot cast iron skillet with a splash or two of good red wine and some shrooms - or by moist heat roasting. Tastes like chicken!
C'mon, Ron! It don't taste like chicken, it tastes like Bambi (the animal not the pole dancer) and that's a GOOD thing. Cooked as you suggest or ground up with herbs & spices and some pork or beef fat makes some of the finest sausage you ever ate. Makes good chili too. Now I'm drooling on my keyboard!

+1 on bow hunting. No discharging of firearms in city limits. All legal and quiet. Won't wake the neighborhood.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #15 of 35 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 2:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
I cannot name the source, but I did read a few months back that there are more deer in the CONUS than when Columbus (or was that Ericson??) discovered America.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #16 of 35 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 3:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
I have lived in deer country for the past 30 years. Deer seem to be most active at dawn, and then again at dusk. That's when I am extra vigilant; I constantly scan the roadsides at that time.
I've had em jump out mid-day on the mountain roads. I get on the mike and let the rest of the riders know to watch out but they just slow down and take pictures!

The animal movement in this country has done a great disservice to the very creatures they claim to protect. There are numerous states in the US where more deer are killed on the highway than by licensed hunters in a given year and that does not take into account those that die of starvation or the damage cost as they migrate into urban areas. It's all emotion and no logic at all. "People" are rapidly moving to the bottom of the "save" list.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #17 of 35 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 6:34 pm

We have a brend new fawn hiding in our Hosta plants in our garden waiting for mom's couple of visits a day to nurse. Very cute, but just wnat we need around here...another deer.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #18 of 35 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 9:55 pm

It is factually accurate that there ARE more deer in the US now, than when the Pilgrims landed. I'm in the Fredericksburg, VA area, and have never seen so many as this year. The deer have no natural predators to keep the population in check. There used to be wolves and cougar that preyed on deer in most area's (Of course that was long ago). Don't get me wrong....I'm certainly not a member of the Environmental, People are the Problem, Give up your Freedom and let the Gov't solve your problems association. But people need to come to facts with the reality that WE are the predators of the deer (And Rightfully So!!!). I'm NOT a hunter, as I'm usually too busy a person to go hunting. But I do think we are the Top of the food chain, and need to act as such, instead of this notion that we are always the problem....Screw that, It's that frame of thinking that's the problem. I say let hunter's take care of what Wolves and Cougar used to. Logically, this is the same as other natural predators taking deer, in fact it is the same. WE ARE THE TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN. Or at least the ones who have not had our minds warped by the modern destroy your own freedoms and give control of everything to the F'ing Gov't movement. Move over Al Gore...the Damn deer in my yard are mine to deal with. Keep your freedoms (All of them...Cycles, Speech, Money, Arms, etc.) And happy riding. Seriously though, I've had two recent close encounters within 5 miles of home. One was double-up with the Wife, and that was a exceptionally close one, as she was looking off to the side, and was n't prepared for the full-on braking. She collided into my back, and we almost lost it doing roughly 45mph. A friend of mine actually hit one, also in Northern VA, it came from the woods lightning speed right out in front of him and somewhat ran into him at the same time he was running into it. It caught the right front fork of his Harley, and knocked his leg back so far he stated it nearly dismounted him from the bike. He was rather lucky, it damaged his windshield, headlights, handlebars, tank, seat, and his leg. Kept his upright, but a millisecond later and who knows.
post #19 of 35 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 6:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyho
I've had em jump out mid-day on the mountain roads. I get on the mike and let the rest of the riders know to watch out but they just slow down and take pictures!

The animal movement in this country has done a great disservice to the very creatures they claim to protect. There are numerous states in the US where more deer are killed on the highway than by licensed hunters in a given year and that does not take into account those that die of starvation or the damage cost as they migrate into urban areas. It's all emotion and no logic at all. "People" are rapidly moving to the bottom of the "save" list.

MOST of the deer that I see are around dusk and dawn. I expect them. I have actually seen them grazing along I-75 just south of Ocala, Fl. and the traffic doesn't seem to bother them. Slowing down is the only thing that has worked for me.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #20 of 35 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 3:02 pm

Yep those deer can certainly cause a problem. If you ever wanted to see what happens when an LT collides with a deer take a look at these. I was probably only going about 45 mph when the deer came running across the road. I must admit the bike handled well, it stayed up and straight, and oh yea those abs brakes work real well. It happens so quick sometimes you don't have time to react. The damage came to a little under 6k, it's been down for about a month but hopefully i should get it back soon Just be careful out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09deer02.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	423.9 KB
ID:	23405   Click image for larger version

Name:	09deer03.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	820.1 KB
ID:	23406   Click image for larger version

Name:	09deer04.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	677.1 KB
ID:	23407   Click image for larger version

Name:	09deer08.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	664.8 KB
ID:	23410   Click image for larger version

Name:	09deer09.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	630.1 KB
ID:	23411  

Name:	09deer10.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	559.5 KB
ID:	23412   Click image for larger version

Name:	09deer11.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	708.2 KB
ID:	23413   Click image for larger version

Name:	09deer13.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	590.1 KB
ID:	23414   Click image for larger version

Name:	09deer12.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	708.2 KB
ID:	23415  

Newest Addition --Black 09 LT
03 1600 Kawasaki
93 Honda 1100 ACE
86 Yamaha 650
BMW MOA # 148120
post #21 of 35 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 3:08 pm

I can remember in Pennsylvania, crossing the state from east to west, packs of deer that were no larger than big dogs, all over the place.

Hunter must be only shooting the big ones! (Maybe that comment should be in Chit Chat)

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #22 of 35 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 3:15 pm

Kill 'em all.
post #23 of 35 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 3:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nediesel
Yep those deer can certainly cause a problem. If you ever wanted to see what happens when an LT collides with a deer take a look at these. I was probably only going about 45 mph when the deer came running across the road. I must admit the bike handled well, it stayed up and straight, and oh yea those abs brakes work real well. It happens so quick sometimes you don't have time to react. The damage came to a little under 6k, it's been down for about a month but hopefully i should get it back soon Just be careful out there.

DUUUUDe.. that's close.. ya know if you had been riding a lesser machine, like say a HD, you would not have faired so well, me thinks.
post #24 of 35 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 3:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman
What timing. I just sent an email to my riding group warning about the increase in deer population in our area. I ride to work most days (this time of year anyway) and I don't ever remember seeing this many deer...this early in the year. We just had a fatality on the nearby toll-road over the weekend, and I'm sure everybody remembers the late Larry Grodsky who died after hitting a deer in April 2006.

Headline from yesterday's fatality;
"Motorcyclist dies after hitting deer on the Indiana Toll Road" - June 7th, 2009
http://www.thetimesonline.com/articl...cd007d8a1a.txt

Ride safe...
Toolman

FROM THE ARTICLE (emphasis added):

"Riding a 1985 Harley-Davidson, Stumar struck a deer and was thrown from his bike.
He was not wearing a helmet or leather clothing and died of massive head trauma at the scene. The deer also died.

A second rider, swerving to avoid the other deer, was thrown from his 2005 Harley-Davidson motorcycle and suffered cuts and bruises. Steven Reinmondo, 48, of Cassopolis, Mich., was wearing a helmet and leathers, police said. He was treated at St. Anthony Memorial in Michigan City and released.

No helmet...sad...

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #25 of 35 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 3:54 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
No helmet...sad...
Stupid.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #26 of 35 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 4:17 pm

Cool Re: Deer!!!!

Hi, Dale...

As a fellow Georgian, I can attest to the fact that we have a huge deer population. I have personally killed 4 with my wife's Camry on four separate occasions and my son totalled his pickup with a herd of 5...all within a mile of the house.

The craziest one was when I hit (no, JUMPED!) a freshly killed buck on the divided highway at night on the LT. Airborne 3' in the air and came down hard enough to slam the right mirror to the ground, breaking 3 tethers, and snapping my head and my lower back with tremendous violence! Took a half mile to gain control of the bike while it was doing the tank-slapper and wild fish-tail routine at 60mph in the dark of night!

I will never forget the dash lights blinking and going crazy!

If anything, I learned that the headlights on the LT are not really good enough. Thought about that all day long while cleaning off the deer meat and fur. But, it only cost me a couple hundred dollars for a new mirror and a few minutes straigntening out the brake pedal...., so, lesson learned.

Ride safe!

dave
post #27 of 35 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 6:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Stupid.

Honestly...yes...you are right.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #28 of 35 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 11:23 pm

You all may appreciate this one. Rapid City has been suffering with a large deer population so they solicited and acquired some bow hunters and thinned the herd in the city a bit. This was done recently to appease the locals a bit.

Denny Kintner

06 Suzuki Burgman
07 Honda VTX 1800 Neo
07 Suzuki V Strom 1000
08 GoldWing
post #29 of 35 Old Jun 12th, 2009, 6:45 am

Quote:
No helmet...sad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Stupid
Quote:
Honestly...yes...you are right.

Being in the ATGATT camp, I tend to agree. Despite how much passion and emotion the helmet/no-helmet debate invokes amongst the various groups of riders, it's hard to ignore statistics. Helmet laws (and/or the proposal thereof) are akin to abortion/anti-abortion, or gun control/no gun control issues.

Since we only get one life to "experiment" with, the fact remains that we can only calculate (using test or crash data), whether or not a helmet would have saved a life in a given crash. In this case, the answer would seem rather obvious, but again, we simply don't know. Even if this rider were wearing a helmet, he may well have died from another cause (blunt force body trauma perhaps). Hitting a deer and being thrown from a bike at super-slab speeds is a violent situation for sure. However, I do think it's safe to say that his chances of survival would have increased with a helmet (a real helmet....not one of those 1/2 helmet/skateboarding lids).

So, while it remains a personal choice (at least for now) here in Indiana, I choose not to ignore the statistics, and I accept that fact that no matter how skilled a rider you are, you never know when the unexpected will happen. If we did, it wouldn't be unexpected now would it?

On a side note, I saw three more of these "overgrown rats" this morning (can you tell I"m not a fan of deer?) ... standing on the side of the road in some rather tall grass. There was a ton of fog in the area too, so the name of the game was to proceed with caution, and keep the speed down. We're not always so lucky however, to see the inital signs of deer standing near the road, as fans of Larry Grodsky can well attest.

Ride safe and enjoy,
Toolman

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #30 of 35 Old Jun 12th, 2009, 7:48 am

Car vs. Bambi - If squeamish don't look.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Deerhunt1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	23424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Deerhunt2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	23425  
post #31 of 35 Old Jun 12th, 2009, 3:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman
[/i]

Being in the ATGATT camp, I tend to agree. Despite how much passion and emotion the helmet/no-helmet debate invokes amongst the various groups of riders, it's hard to ignore statistics. Helmet laws (and/or the proposal thereof) are akin to abortion/anti-abortion, or gun control/no gun control issues.

Since we only get one life to "experiment" with, the fact remains that we can only calculate (using test or crash data), whether or not a helmet would have saved a life in a given crash. In this case, the answer would seem rather obvious, but again, we simply don't know. Even if this rider were wearing a helmet, he may well have died from another cause (blunt force body trauma perhaps). Hitting a deer and being thrown from a bike at super-slab speeds is a violent situation for sure. However, I do think it's safe to say that his chances of survival would have increased with a helmet (a real helmet....not one of those 1/2 helmet/skateboarding lids).

So, while it remains a personal choice (at least for now) here in Indiana, I choose not to ignore the statistics, and I accept that fact that no matter how skilled a rider you are, you never know when the unexpected will happen. If we did, it wouldn't be unexpected now would it?

On a side note, I saw three more of these "overgrown rats" this morning (can you tell I"m not a fan of deer?) ... standing on the side of the road in some rather tall grass. There was a ton of fog in the area too, so the name of the game was to proceed with caution, and keep the speed down. We're not always so lucky however, to see the inital signs of deer standing near the road, as fans of Larry Grodsky can well attest.

Ride safe and enjoy,
Toolman
Certainly, he MAY have...but the report openly stated that he died from "HEAD TRAUMA"... I agree, that it seems like a helmet would'a helped!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #32 of 35 Old Jun 12th, 2009, 3:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddo50

AWESOME!!!! I never knew a WHOLE DEER could fit through one of those small openings in the grill!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #33 of 35 Old Jun 12th, 2009, 4:11 pm

One of dem tiny deer! Like the packs that roam in the Florida Keys.... Not the kind that someone would shoot.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #34 of 35 Old Jun 12th, 2009, 4:47 pm

Did I say "Kill 'em all!" yeah.. I'd shoot 'em... the small are pretty tender..
post #35 of 35 Old Jun 12th, 2009, 5:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddo50

Fargin bastages! I hate horned rats.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in