West Virgina trip?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 12:25 pm Thread Starter

West Virgina trip??

Hi all;

We are ( wife and I) are travelling done to West Virgina end of June to try the trailer out and do some camping( also visit a friend for a day).

Anyone know of good campsites around or some "special" sites to see?

Might travel (if time) around Kentucky but only have a week.

First time in this part of the US. I know we miss two BMW rallies ( weekend before and weekend after) but only have this week till CCR in Sept.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Regards,
Bowdon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 1:16 pm

Re: West Virgina trip??

What part of WV? I'm partial to the western side along the VA border. I have an aunt and uncle living in central WV (no jokes please, I've heard them all), so I travel through the western part of the state to get from Charlottesville to Clarksburg and it is beautiful. I haven't done the route on the bike, but it looks like a blast with all of the twisties and elevation changes. I travel through some national forests and the Seneca Rocks area.

Watch out for deer, especially in the evenings and WV is loaded with them. Some of the biggest white tail that I've ever seen have been in WV. The deer in my part of VA look like small dogs. I guess they don't grow as big on peanuts, cotton and tobacco.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
2002 Chartreuse Yellow and Black BMW K1200LT Tickets
post #3 of 6 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 1:44 pm

Do a search on the New River bridge and surrounding area...........

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?

post #4 of 6 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 3:05 pm Thread Starter

We will be in the Hedgeville area, but only for a day or two. I would like to camp if possible ( just purchased a new tent and an air bed) and would like to try them out before the CCR trip!!

Thanks,

Bowdon
post #5 of 6 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 3:58 pm

If you have a strong stomach for bad traffic, there's Washington, DC. When heading to Kentucky, if you want to see some of the best scenery in VA with minimal traffic, I suggest that you jump off of I-81 south and take I-66 over to Warren, VA. From there you find your way onto Skyline Drive and meander through the Appalachians until you reach I-64. If you're enjoying it, stay on the Blue Ridge Parkway for more of the same....if you need to make better time, take I-64 west until you hit I-81 again.

Again, watch for deer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
2002 Chartreuse Yellow and Black BMW K1200LT Tickets
post #6 of 6 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 4:20 pm

West Virginia has some absolutely beautiful locations. I have been to a few of them. I would recommend some of the following:
1) Seneca Rocks (Just outside Franklin, WV). It's shear granite walls / pinnacles and is awesome to see. If your the outdoor type who's in decent shape...you can actually hike a trail that takes you to the top. I did the hike with my wife years ago, and it's not too tough. Incredible views from both the bottom and the top. Route 28 along Seneca Rocks is awesome too.

2) The New River Gorge / New river bridge along route 219 is nice.

3) Canaan Valley is very nice.

4) Route 50 East to West is very nice almost the entire width of the state.

I saw a book recently on day-trips in WV. I cannot remember the author, although Fodder's seems to come to mind.

As far as the Eastern United States, WV has some of the most beautiful roads and mountains short of maybe the White Mountains in New Hampshire. It's most definitely worth seeing.
Enjoy if you decide on going.
Take Care

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in