'99 LT, time to scrap it? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 7:39 am Thread Starter

Unhappy '99 LT, time to scrap it?

My '99 LT went in for a 60,000 mile service this morning and I was expecting to pay £700 for the service, plus the price of a new front tyre and MOT. However, I'd been a bit unhappy with the ride quality for a while and had asked the dealer to check it out, which they did and then told me that the bike needed a new rear shock absorber and new steering damper to get it through its MOT and some other stuff too, and that I was looking at about £1,900 for the whole deal; OUCH!

So, what do I do now? The bike is probably worth less than £3,000 even if I get all the work done and who knows what the next thing to go might be (and how much that might cost?).

Is there a market for parts out there? Has anyone scrapped one of these yet or got any advice on how to go about this or how to sell the parts if I break it myself? Is anyone likely to be interested in it as is?

I hate to see such a marvelous motorcycle die as it has given us huge amounts of pleasure, but I think that things have gone beyond being economically viable.

Me and the wife will be in mourning as George (that's 'his' name) goes to the great big tour in the sky :-(

All thoughts and suggestions gratefully received!

MB

2004 BMW K1200LT Blue (Derek)
1999 BMW K1200LT Champagne (George, ret'd to the seaside)
1976 Honda CB400F Maroon (The Beauty)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 8:21 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: '99 LT, time to scrap it?

I have 54,000 miles on my 2000 LT & just ordered Ohlins shocks for it. To me it's worth every penny as the bike has been flawless over the 4 years that I've had it. As far as parting it out many have done it. Contact [email protected] for info. he started a buisness parting them out & can piont you in the right direction on how to do it

Stevie Shreeve

Last edited by katnapinn; Jun 8th, 2009 at 8:57 am.
post #3 of 33 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 8:22 am

I'd say just fix it up. It will be good as new and give you more great times. My nephew is riding my old 1988 Kawasaki Concours' (GTR). It is in perfect condition and rides well.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?

post #4 of 33 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 8:30 am

60k is nothing!
You can part it on on ebay. Whether its worth parting out depends on the market value for a used LT.

If I were you I'd just fix it myself since the parts wont be that expensive. But labor costs are very high, so if you're not doing it youself it may not be worth it.
post #5 of 33 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 10:03 am

I'd suggest fixing the George and keeping him. I just turned 68k on my 2000 and she is running perfectly, better than ever. Met a guy on a recent trip to Utah who has a 2000 with 114k miles and says it runs like a dream.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 33 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 10:21 am

I've run into this same issue on all of the automobiles that I've ever owned. My college car, a Honda CRX HF, is still my favorite toy on four wheels, but only in memory. That car was so much fun, I would have done anything to keep it. We had seen 275,000 miles together, but air conditioning systems changed, rust set in, shocks were giving out, the engine didn't have the power anymore, and eventually it just became unreliable to the point that I couldn't trust it more than 30 miles from home. I nearly cried when I used it as a trade-in for a Civic hatchback.

Now that I'm older and wiser, I really wish that I had kept the car. The fun factor is worth so much more than the monetary value. That's how I feel about my LT.

If I were in your shoes, I would strip the covers off of the bike and commit myself to a 2 month overhaul project. Send out a cry for help if you get stuck. Some members are looking for a reason to ride a 1000 miles (not sure if you can ride that far in the UK without going in circles) and your dieing bike may be just the excuse they are seeking. Some people will do it, to practice on a bike that isn't theirs so that they will know what they're doing when it comes time to work on their own bike. Offer up beer, pizza, free internet access, access to toilet paper, and a campsite in your back yard. If you say 'build it', they will come.

If the bike has been reliable other than the current issues, don't part it. Buy the parts and fix it, you'll be glad that you did...years and another 60,000 miles from now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
2002 Chartreuse Yellow and Black BMW K1200LT Tickets
post #7 of 33 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 10:35 am

You can buy an almost new, OEM rear shock for less than $100.00, and it takes 15 minutes to install. You do NOT need to take any tupperware off - just remove the battery.

I can show you how to do it.

The steering damper does not do a THING - and even if it did you could get a used one for $25.00, once again installation is a snap.

Seems to me like your dealer is finding great excuses to run the bill up... if you are even the slightest bit handy with tools the above tasks are EASY.

Try www.hannigansidecar.com, www.Beemerboneyard.com, or Tony at www.LTParts.com.

Once you get the shock I'll walk you through the installation. Don't pay attention to the "official" way to replace it which can take several hours and requires a lot of dis assembly, there is a very simple shortcut. I've done it several times...

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jun 8th, 2009 at 1:25 pm.
post #8 of 33 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 1:41 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

Great info to have Ron.
Thanks !
Keir
post #9 of 33 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 2:05 pm

ugly truth time: these bikes have never been a matter of return on investment or practicality.

fact: i still have the R75/5 that i bought when i was in college - odo reads 171,000 miles and the amount i would gain from its sale or as parts is not enough to justify the excercise. the continuing maintenance on it has been so negligable to be not worthy of note. i rode it about 30 mountain road miles to a local rally this weekend and the feelings that riding it brought back were worth the original puchase price - $1695 circa 1980 dollars - all over again.

after puchasing a lemon 99 LT, i reinvested in a 2000 model, that is now happily heading over 60k miles. after experiencing expensive upgrades - shocks, saddle - and expensive failures -- final drive, ABS and cam chain tensioner - the bike has settled in to being exactly as i like it and essentially impossible to replace at 3-4 times its current book value.

consider this another journey - and an opportunity to get your bike more suited to you as a rider. pony up - do the work yourself - and ride the big girl until the crankshaft falls to dust.

ride on ;-)

g.

greg shamieh boof # 93 k-whiner # 83
jefferson, maryland

2000 K1200LT --- "darkside"
75R90S -- "esssss"
73R75/5 -- "mojo"
post #10 of 33 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 3:48 pm

Unless there are major concerns about reliability I'd say fix it. It's a lot of money when you do that much work at once but it's still less than the depreciation on a new one. Do what you can yourself and figure on riding enough to get your money back in fun.
post #11 of 33 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 4:26 pm

I'll have to go along and say fixit. I have a '99 with 66.5k miles and I am facing some of the same questions. When I bought it 2 years ago I knew it was a project bike in the near future. Just ordered new wilbers shocks and some of the other little things that you need to eventually replace (gas tank disconnects and stuff like that). If the resale value is low just strip it down and learn how things work. It's fun and gets your mind off work. I hear new shocks are like a new bike. I'll get to see in about 3 weeks...

jim

'99 BMW K1200LT
'91 Serotta Colorado II (best handling bike ever)
'89 Bianchi Volpe (setup for commuting)
'89 Diamond Back (gone but not forgotten)
'57 BMW R26 (some decades ago)
post #12 of 33 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 4:54 pm

You could get some good 2nd hand parts form here.

http://www.motorworks.co.uk/

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #13 of 33 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 6:07 pm

Thumbs up Re: '99 LT, time to scrap it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewis5151
I'll have to go along and say fixit. I have a '99 with 66.5k miles and I am facing some of the same questions. When I bought it 2 years ago I knew it was a project bike in the near future. Just ordered new wilbers shocks and some of the other little things that you need to eventually replace (gas tank disconnects and stuff like that). If the resale value is low just strip it down and learn how things work. It's fun and gets your mind off work. I hear new shocks are like a new bike. I'll get to see in about 3 weeks...
Great savings right here... the 99 did not come with quick disconnects, just a tube and 2 collar rings per line.
+1 on new shocks. I just installed rebuilt Ohlins on my 05 at 40k miles and it is a new ride!!!
I only tooke the tank off and Tupperware of because I was also cleaning up some old wiring.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #14 of 33 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 6:40 pm

Bring it over, we will get it back on the road for the cost of parts and a few beers.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #15 of 33 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 7:00 pm

MB
No brainer man. Get a slightly used shock or aftermarket. Contact www.beemerboneyard.com and see if there is a used shock there. For that matter contact your local dealer or dealers and see if they one. The no brainer part is that would spend $thousands less replacing the shock vs. buying a new bike. If you like George that much spend a little on him and he will take you and your wife for many trips with smiles on your face. 60K on George is nothing. I rode my K11RS for 70K miles and 11 years.

'05 1200 RT, Ruby, as in RED, '04 1150 RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto,
'93 Yamaha Seca II, '93 K1100RS (Silk Blue), '83 Yamaha Maxim 750
post #16 of 33 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 7:00 pm

Re: '99 LT, time to scrap it? Repair fo runder $500.00

I just put new Hyperpro springs on some Ebay BMW 05 original shocks Tha I picked up for $200 with less then >10k On them and the ride it back to the day it rolled off the line.

I still think My orgional shocks were fine (think they would be good to 100 K maybe)

For $239.00 would order the new shock springs front and rear. You can take the shock off your self and take them to a bike shop and have them put the new springs on. The Shop I took them to charged me $20.00 to change the springs for me.
New RIde for 459.00. My damper still is working fine.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47013

Good luck

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well Itís not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldnít of happened."

Last edited by rkirker; Jun 8th, 2009 at 7:08 pm.
post #17 of 33 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 3:11 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: '99 LT, time to scrap it?

Hey thanks for all the advice guys!

I have already contacted Motorworks and they have given me an offer on the bike and some prices for bits from the UK, but they are much more expensive that the same parts in the US :-( So, I've sent off a couple of e-mails to US-based parts suppliers enquiring about shipping costs and import tax and hope that something makes sense.

I checked out the workshop manual last night and changing the shock and damper don't look too daunting and sounds to be even easier given the advice from you guys. Thanks for the offer c00k1e, we've never done Wales, but I suspect I'll be having a go myself and see how much spanner-rash and black-finger I can acquire. It's years since I did anything substantial in terms of working on a bike and it might even get me to work on my '76 Honda CB400F at last.

The dealer had already made a start on the service and done the oil, filter, plugs and valve clearances, so I have already notched up a £250 bill, but I wouldn't have attempted the valve clearances anyway, so that's not so bad after all.

I've let the Babe see your replies and we'll have a meeting of the George Appreciation Society, MB's Amateur Mechanics Co. and the Finance Committee and we'll see what transpires. We weren't looking forward to waving George off on the back of a trailer, the time we'd be without a bike and the trauma of looking for another LT. They are pretty hard to find second hand in the UK, the prices are pretty high and they go quickly.

You've all been a great help! I'll drop another reply once the decision is made and maybe take some of you up on your offers for advice and guidance.

Thanks again for you help one and all!

MB

post #18 of 33 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 7:05 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbenn42
...I was looking at about £1,900 for the whole deal; OUCH! ...So, what do I do now? The bike is probably worth less than £3,000 ...
Do you have any other source where you can purchase a £3,000 motorcycle for £1,900... or less?
post #19 of 33 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 11:05 am

60K? Don got over 300K on his. If you like riding it, keep it. If you want a different, go shopping. We did Ohlins on our 02, made it better than a new bike! No, not cheap, but we considered it more than worth the cost of the upgrade.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #20 of 33 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 9:34 pm

MB
If you check out the uk ebay, there is a company advertising shock absorber refurbs, motorcycle parts, k1200lt section, the prices look ok, no idea if they are any good, but i imagine they will offer a warranty.
Regards
Stevie
Company called Brook Suspension, tel 01274 414768, they offer a 2 year guarantee, i think price was around 85 pounds!!, & no i am not connected to them, havent used them, & am not reccomending them.

Last edited by stevie1; Jun 10th, 2009 at 12:21 am.
post #21 of 33 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 1:20 am

Greetings MB

You know what, if we ran a financial feasibility test on everything we wanted...we most likely, would end up with very little of the pleasures we enjoy today.

There are times in our lives when we come across items that have the ability to generate within us, feelings of joy, freedom and sometimes even uphoria. We feel and know this as we ease that gearbox into 5th on one of our favourite roadways as you and your BMW head towards a destination that has the capability to clear our minds of the clutter that builds up so quickly.

A fine running LT is so much more valuable than the sum of its parts, or, the price of replacements. It is in fact a very well bred escape machine that does its job better than any other mark in the world. Be faithful to your machine now, and he will show a greater level of service and devotion to you for many, many miles or kilometres to come.

Never forget that the quality remains long after the price is forgotten.

Cheers and kindest regards

Paul Harrington
Australia

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #22 of 33 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 5:36 am

"Spanner rash".... every once in a while I learn a new "Brit" English term; that's a great term.
I've been watching the replies to your original post, gratified to see all the responses that suggest keeping it and fixing it.
I know some people who are not mechanically inclined and trade their vehicles in as soon as the manufacturer's warranty runs out. A trouble free but expensive way to go and the right approach for some folks. If you can't do the work yourself, this bike can get expensive to maintain.
If you get some pleasure and not too much annoyance (there's always some of that) in wrenching and risking the spanner rash, my vote is with the folks who suggested keeping the bike.
On the other hand, if "knuckle busting" isn't your cup of tea, there's no shame in trading up for a newer model.
Have fun.
Regards,

Quote:
Hey thanks for all the advice guys!

I have already contacted Motorworks and they have given me an offer on the bike and some prices for bits from the UK, but they are much more expensive that the same parts in the US :-( So, I've sent off a couple of e-mails to US-based parts suppliers enquiring about shipping costs and import tax and hope that something makes sense.

I checked out the workshop manual last night and changing the shock and damper don't look too daunting and sounds to be even easier given the advice from you guys. Thanks for the offer c00k1e, we've never done Wales, but I suspect I'll be having a go myself and see how much spanner-rash and black-finger I can acquire. It's years since I did anything substantial in terms of working on a bike and it might even get me to work on my '76 Honda CB400F at last.

The dealer had already made a start on the service and done the oil, filter, plugs and valve clearances, so I have already notched up a £250 bill, but I wouldn't have attempted the valve clearances anyway, so that's not so bad after all.

I've let the Babe see your replies and we'll have a meeting of the George Appreciation Society, MB's Amateur Mechanics Co. and the Finance Committee and we'll see what transpires. We weren't looking forward to waving George off on the back of a trailer, the time we'd be without a bike and the trauma of looking for another LT. They are pretty hard to find second hand in the UK, the prices are pretty high and they go quickly.

You've all been a great help! I'll drop another reply once the decision is made and maybe take some of you up on your offers for advice and guidance.

Thanks again for you help one and all!

MB
post #23 of 33 Old Jun 14th, 2009, 11:06 pm

Talking Re: '99 LT, time to scrap it?

I know people say you should have changed you shocks by now (Mines a 99) but it seems to take to the corners as good as she ever did and even my shop says the shocks are OK at +50K miles

I keeped my 70 Bonny just to last year and will keep this one even longer LOL

Good luck to all those who love this bike. Just keep fixing it!!!

Steve A

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
You can buy an almost new, OEM rear shock for less than $100.00, and it takes 15 minutes to install. You do NOT need to take any tupperware off - just remove the battery.

I can show you how to do it.

The steering damper does not do a THING - and even if it did you could get a used one for $25.00, once again installation is a snap.

Seems to me like your dealer is finding great excuses to run the bill up... if you are even the slightest bit handy with tools the above tasks are EASY.

Try www.hannigansidecar.com, www.Beemerboneyard.com, or Tony at www.LTParts.com.

Once you get the shock I'll walk you through the installation. Don't pay attention to the "official" way to replace it which can take several hours and requires a lot of dis assembly, there is a very simple shortcut. I've done it several times...
post #24 of 33 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 5:07 am

MB
Just a question, have you put it through the MOT yet, if you go to a reliable NON dealer test station, it could be that the fail points may differ??
Regards
Stevie
I
post #25 of 33 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 5:18 am

I am sure there is some very good advice here already. My immediate thought is why you would consider scrapping it? In this "throw-away" society, it is unbelievable to think that a fine German motorcycle would be considered useless just because the repair/restoration costs were almost equal to the value of the bike itself.

Using this logic, why would you buy one in the first place and take all the depreciation? Looking at it another way, if we all scrapped our bikes, cars, etc. there would be no classic vehicles.

I read a UK report some years back about the restoration of vehicles and it found that it was much more "green", if you will, than buying a new one. Who knows?

Personally, I would try Ron's advice, or ante up the cash/credit/loan, whatever, and fix it and just ride it!

Good luck,

Just ride it!

dave
(Aka: Hawg)
post #26 of 33 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 5:34 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Hi all. The various sub-committees have completed their deliberations and thanks to your collective input George has been saved from that great big scrap yard in the sky and I will be getting far more intimate with him from now on :-)

Ron, I have a pre-owned rear shock under my desk (thanks to Motorworks!) and am ready for your guidance if you would be so good?

I'll be off searchng the forum for clues on doing a brake fluid change, perhaps changing the pads and quick ways to change the gearbox oil too dependent on my review of the 60,000 miles service schedule. I seem to remember that I need to take the centre stand off too which I suspect will be interesting!

Thanks all!

MB

Cheers

post #27 of 33 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 7:26 am

Garage

All,

I am so glad I read this chain I now have many web site to help keep my 2001 K1200LT (57000) on the road for many more pleasurable miles.

MB, It is good to none that "George" will riding again.

rdw2515
post #28 of 33 Old Jun 19th, 2009, 11:47 am

Quote:
My '99 LT went in for a 60,000 mile service this morning and I was expecting to pay £700 for the service, plus the price of a new front tyre and MOT. However, I'd been a bit unhappy with the ride quality for a while and had asked the dealer to check it out, which they did and then told me that the bike needed a new rear shock absorber and new steering damper to get it through its MOT and some other stuff too, and that I was looking at about £1,900 for the whole deal; OUCH!

So, what do I do now? The bike is probably worth less than £3,000 even if I get all the work done and who knows what the next thing to go might be (and how much that might cost?).

Is there a market for parts out there? Has anyone scrapped one of these yet or got any advice on how to go about this or how to sell the parts if I break it myself? Is anyone likely to be interested in it as is?

I hate to see such a marvelous motorcycle die as it has given us huge amounts of pleasure, but I think that things have gone beyond being economically viable.

Me and the wife will be in mourning as George (that's 'his' name) goes to the great big tour in the sky :-(

All thoughts and suggestions gratefully received!

MB
Hi I am sorry to hear that your LT is in such need of repair.

I myself am new to the bike scene as a born again biker after some 25 years, but i have come across a web sight that may be able to help you it's called, MOTORWORKS it's uk based and only deals with second hand BMW Bike parts so the parts you need may be even cheeper than you thought.
p.s. please don't let Gorge die
post #29 of 33 Old Jun 20th, 2009, 7:25 pm

I wouldn't scrap the bike. I have a 2005 with 60K, which I have owned since new and I just replaced the shocks and steering damper. It's the best money that you'll spend, if you are happy with the K1200lt, otherwise.
This is my second K1200lt and I've had to replace these items on my 1999 as well. You'll find that the Ohlins will greatly improve the ride and the handling. This time around, I selected a Hyperpro; progressive steering damper and it is awesome. The great thing about Ohlins shocks and Hyperpro steering dampers is that they are all rebuildable, at a fraction of replacement costs.
My advice is to keep the bike and upgrade as necessary. It's still cheaper than a new K1200lt.

Ride safe,
TedL
[email protected]
post #30 of 33 Old Jun 20th, 2009, 8:57 pm

Smile Re: '99 LT, time to scrap it?

Try beemerboneyard.com. Not sure if they ship over the pond. They are a great company for both new and used parts! And, do the work yourself and save big bucks (euros).
post #31 of 33 Old Jun 21st, 2009, 7:38 pm

MB -
There is no such thing as a financially justifiable bike. We, who own them, do it for a lot of reasons, none of which will make sense to someone who does not share our passion.

I had the same issue with my 85 K. In the end, I faced the fact that I loved the bike, so I got it a stable mate. My wife thinks I'm a loone, but after a ride on one or the other, nothing beats just cleaning the windshield or playing with some farkle on both of them.

Fix it, ride it, and enjoy it. Life is too short.

RickG
'07 K1200 LT

'85 K100 RT
gift to friend
post #32 of 33 Old Jun 21st, 2009, 8:39 pm

Quote:
Hi all. The various sub-committees have completed their deliberations and thanks to your collective input George has been saved from that great big scrap yard in the sky and I will be getting far more intimate with him from now on :-)

Ron, I have a pre-owned rear shock under my desk (thanks to Motorworks!) and am ready for your guidance if you would be so good?

I'll be off searchng the forum for clues on doing a brake fluid change, perhaps changing the pads and quick ways to change the gearbox oil too dependent on my review of the 60,000 miles service schedule. I seem to remember that I need to take the centre stand off too which I suspect will be interesting!

Thanks all!

MB

Cheers
FWIW I am pretty much a neophyte when it comes to wrenching on these bikes. I came real close to shooting (selling) junior as well due to the maintenance costs and shady dealers. Good thing I took a deep breath. I can say with confidence that all the maintenance items on these bikes can be done alone with just the aid of this board.

Take it slow and breath. Each time it gets a bit hairy - take a break. The challenge will still be there when you go back. Just make sure you ask around before you go a break something (ask me how I know.....).
post #33 of 33 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 1:46 am

With the market the way it is I will be keeping my 99 forever LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawretj
I wouldn't scrap the bike. I have a 2005 with 60K, which I have owned since new and I just replaced the shocks and steering damper. It's the best money that you'll spend, if you are happy with the K1200lt, otherwise.
This is my second K1200lt and I've had to replace these items on my 1999 as well. You'll find that the Ohlins will greatly improve the ride and the handling. This time around, I selected a Hyperpro; progressive steering damper and it is awesome. The great thing about Ohlins shocks and Hyperpro steering dampers is that they are all rebuildable, at a fraction of replacement costs.
My advice is to keep the bike and upgrade as necessary. It's still cheaper than a new K1200lt.

Ride safe,
TedL
[email protected]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in